About to be doing shipping for first time-any advice?

KO By Knee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ive been working warehouse for about 6 months- just as a kit assembler now i'm given the chance to work shipping. It's a very small company so im gonna be the only shipper n it's constantly run on barely made deadlines around here this company truly is a mess sometimes but they treat the workers good and it's small so it's got good job security.

I digress any tips for a firs timer in shipping? It's going to include international and it's not big quantity's but the products shipped will be very expensive/heavy.

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. Document every movement, every reciept, every transaction. Keeping good records is critical to your company and your job security.

one single strip of scotch tape works best. trust me.

make sure you get all your international rules and regulations straight. double and triple check all your labels. I work for ups btw.

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation. Document every movement, every reciept, every transaction. Keeping good records is critical to your company and your job security.
Thank you I was going to bring in a folder for all my information and also a notebook to keep track of everything as I heard this will be the case.

make sure you get all your international rules and regulations straight. double and triple check all your labels. I work for ups btw.

I will have to study on that, good advice.

I used to run a shipping warehouse and the only advice I can give you is to cover your own ass. Keep track of as much of what you do as you can. And double check every little thing you do. The most productive workers were always borderline OCD.

Thank you I was going to bring in a folder for all my information and also a notebook to keep track of everything as I heard this will be the case.

Fuck the notebook dude. Get yourself a small scanner and keep hard & soft copies. Trust me on this. Always error on the side of caution. Expensive products being shipped internationally can disappear and if you have the correct shipping logs, you'll be fine.

Is anything you're shipping fall under ITAR regulations?

Fuck the notebook dude. Get yourself a small scanner and keep hard & soft copies. Trust me on this. Always error on the side of caution. Expensive products being shipped internationally can disappear and if you have the correct shipping logs, you'll be fine.

Is anything you're shipping fall under ITAR regulations?

Well I haven't had training yet or anything so I couldn't tell you if anything falls under any regulations I do know our products wont be more then 100 pounds and will be safety equipment for oil rig companies.

When lifting equipment/a package or doing a squat, ALWAYS put the weight on your heels. Never the balls of your feet.

Back