• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

About a half dozen Rafael Mendes matches from the 2015 Bull Terrier Cup

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
If you've seen either of the past couple of Rickson Gracie Cup matches or highlights, you don't even need to watch. That's basically what happens.

Highlight of all the matches

Full matches

Last edited:
I found it quite funny that the poster for this event is literally Gui Mendes calmly tying his belt with a humiliated opponent in the background:

220365269.v1427364498.jpg

Wow these guys stood no chance.

I found it quite funny that the poster for this event is literally Gui Mendes calmly tying his belt with a humiliated opponent in the background:

And Gui didn't even compete in this tourney :p

Bull terrier Cup? lol

I only compete at the Mastiff opens.

Nope. Pretty sure I still need to watch :icon_chee

Thanks Drew!

It's crazy that they are this good, and I really do enjoy watching these videos to marvel at their ability and observe the technique. But I'm not a fan of what they're doing. I'm a big believer that if you can beat the guy in 30 seconds, then beat him in 30 seconds. There's no need to style on someone for 9 minutes just to show off. Do that stuff in training and post it on your website if you want.

It's crazy that they are this good, and I really do enjoy watching these videos to marvel at their ability and observe the technique. But I'm not a fan of what they're doing. I'm a big believer that if you can beat the guy in 30 seconds, then beat him in 30 seconds. There's no need to style on someone for 9 minutes just to show off. Do that stuff in training and post it on your website if you want.

i actually agree with you, but i do believe they are paid to enter these tournaments and probably asked not to kill everyone in 10 seconds. the promoters probably want them to do the crazy shit for 10 minutes and then end with a spectacular sub.

I see both sides of what SuperSuperRambo and randomg1t are saying. For sure if it was me out there, after getting styled on for about 5 or 6 mins if I hadn't been finished yet and I had been in some spots where I could've been put away, I would probably prefer to just be finished off. I know it would make your jiu-jitsu better to roll against someone that much better than you. So I guess there's an upside.

Before I looked at the time lengths of these videos I was assuming they would be in the 8-10 minute range. Moonwalk all over the guy until the last 60-90 seconds and then there would be a submission. I was actually surprised the last match was less than 4 mins.

First, wow that's impressive. Second, what the hell is this crap? Can't a n!gga submit a n!gga?

i actually agree with you, but i do believe they are paid to enter these tournaments and probably asked not to kill everyone in 10 seconds. the promoters probably want them to do the crazy shit for 10 minutes and then end with a spectacular sub.

Also, if we can't get ADCC, I'd love to see one of these events nogi. I remember he used to go out to those DEEP events and AND1 on guys in a ring and it almost looked like an MMA thing.

The Miyao's should enter one year as a surprise. Just turn up on the day. Maybe get a sponsor to get them a plane ticket and film the whole thing.

Yeah I'm sure they had to put on a little bit of a "show" for the crowd.

Anyone know why the Mendes brothers keep getting invited to these Japan tourneys? Is there some kind of affiliation between their gym and the Japanese scene?

Anyone know why the Mendes brothers keep getting invited to these Japan tourneys? Is there some kind of affiliation between their gym and the Japanese scene?

Well, the Japanese have a long history of enjoying freakshow fights and odd mismatches

Probably bc the promoters give them $$$

Probably bc the promoters give them $$$

Yeah but why would they want to spend major money on inviting over insanely good guys that are going to wreck all the Japanese competitors?

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend a little bit less and get lesser names that are going to be a stern test for the local guys but still somewhat competitive?

Then again so many decisions of Japanese matchmakers and fight promoters have been an enigma to me throughout the years...

Rafa is sponsered by Bull Terrier plus he gets to train and hangout with Satoshi. Also $$$.

I don't know if this is completely true but there was a rumor he does the Rickson Cup because Rickson insulted his game (or modern jiu jitsu in general), so he makes it a point to destroy everyone in that tourney.

Back