• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aaron Pico best MMA prospect ever?

This kid seems to be the real deal on paper now it's just time for him to prove it.

On a side note Pico looks like a young Frank shamrock.

He has been groomed since a child. I am sure there are plenty of 20 yr olds that have been training for 10 plus years.

The difference with Aaron is that he did still excel at 1 discipline, that being Wrestling. He won the California State HS championships as an undefeated freshman. He dominated, never having a close match. During his teen years he routinely defeated world ranked wrestlers, as well as all American and national champions.

At the time of The Olympics he was top 1-2 in America at his weight class. He was probably Top 10 or so in The world all at age 19. If he stayed exclusive with FS wrestling, Olympics was assumed, and or medals. He just kept getting better and better. The wrestler, Frank Molinaro, who beat him out for the Olympics this cycle was 28 yrs old, now ranked 6th in the world, and just barely beat Pico. So Pico was on pace for a huge career.

Add in rounded skills in 2 other major areas of MMA, boxing/striking, and BJJ , and you have a ready to made stud.

Also take a look at his physical stature. It screams elite strength and explosiveness. 5'7 155 or so lbs, lean as fuk. He will settle in nicely at 145 eventually. Nobody will touch him there eventually.

Bellator clearly believe the hype, since they gave him a 8-2 guy for his first fight and they sure as hell are not above feeding guys they want to push a steady stream of cans

*cough*MVP*cough*

He can still end up being a great fighter, but holy lord did his debut go as worse as it could've.

He can still end up being a great fighter, but holy lord did his debut go as worse as it could've.

Yeah I don't know what he was thinking. Couldn't he have measured distance for a few seconds at least? I'm sure this is killing him inside right now, but if he's a true fighter he'll be back.

This kid seems to be the real deal on paper now it's just time for him to prove it.

On a side note Pico looks like a young Frank shamrock.
Best prospect ever was realistically Belfort.

Pico is like an older Erick Silva. All the potential in the world, just needs some experience and ring time.

I look at this guy I don't really see a fighter

He has kind of that generally low testosterone look about him

Facial structure isn't durable enough to take heavy shots imo

I hope he can bounce back but that reminded me of Krazy Horse vs KJ Noons, only worse.

Edit: a word

Yeah I don't know what he was thinking. Couldn't he have measured distance for a few seconds at least? I'm sure this is killing him inside right now, but if he's a true fighter he'll be back.

Not looking good for his chin to get dropped by the first punch that lands.

He has been groomed since a child. I am sure there are plenty of 20 yr olds that have been training for 10 plus years.

The difference with Aaron is that he did still excel at 1 discipline, that being Wrestling. He won the California State HS championships as an undefeated freshman. He dominated, never having a close match. During his teen years he routinely defeated world ranked wrestlers, as well as all American and national champions.

At the time of The Olympics he was top 1-2 in America at his weight class. He was probably Top 10 or so in The world all at age 19. If he stayed exclusive with FS wrestling, Olympics was assumed, and or medals. He just kept getting better and better. The wrestler, Frank Molinaro, who beat him out for the Olympics this cycle was 28 yrs old, now ranked 6th in the world, and just barely beat Pico. So Pico was on pace for a huge career.

Add in rounded skills in 2 other major areas of MMA, boxing/striking, and BJJ , and you have a ready to made stud.

Also take a look at his physical stature. It screams elite strength and explosiveness. 5'7 155 or so lbs, lean as fuk. He will settle in nicely at 145 eventually. Nobody will touch him there eventually.

Im noticing a very strong trend when it comes to these wrestler types and mma. Bubba jenkins, steve mocco and now this pico dude dude have all been hyped to hell and look what happens.

Theres another one in bellator, just forgot his name.

Im noticing a very strong trend when it comes to these wrestler types and mma. Bubba jenkins, steve mocco and now this pico dude dude have all been hyped to hell and look what happens.

Joey Davis, Bubba Jenkins, Ed Ruth, Aaron Pico, Tyrell Fortune, Logan Storley and Darrion Caldwell.

Thsoe are all the young and elite wrestlers Bellator has signed. Ironically probably none or most of them will ever be on even Michael Chandler's level. Hope I'm wrong though. Bellator is doing an amazing job signing American prospects earlier than the UFC can get them, then they invest in them. I just hope they invest in more international prospects too, so many elite Russians out there not signed to the UFC or Bellator, so many big ticket elite fighters not in Bellator or the UFC. Still a lot of great prospects in Russia, Poland, Japan, Brazil etc to snipe that the UFC hasn't yet.

I'd like to see Bellator go to Russia and put on a card or two.

Pico is a national and european champ in pankration
Does this accomplishment hold any weight at all?

What is modern pankration competition and do any other good athletes compete?

From my Google search, it's not a big deal AT ALL.

Does this accomplishment hold any weight at all?

What is modern pankration competition and do any other good athletes compete?

From my Google search, it's not a big deal AT ALL.

The rules setting for that stuff vary greatly, and I can imagine the talent draw for it is very limited compared to actual ammy MMA. I made the point in this thread and several others that Pico's pedigree is not as good as many other MMA prospects/ new stars. Golden gloves boxing is not that high level, he was not an international top level wrestler, and pankration.... well, great but doesn't really tell anything.

Top 10-15 mma fighters, w/o the pedigree, would do well in golden gloves, national level wrestling, and would smoke the socks off a pankration tournament. He has a great base, but who knows where his grappling level is at?

Don't forget the trend of how sherdog jinx these fighters with their prospect to watch I swear it's worse then the Madden Curse.

Back