A young BJJers problem....

SFish51

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training for about 5 months now, still a white belt, but loving every single minute of it. However, being 19 and a full time student, BJJ, struggles, but finds its way into my schedule. With school, and BJJ, hours for work that are realistic are on the low low.

I currently work 10 hours per week as a lifeguard at my local YMCA, get payed every 2 weeks, and lets just say, its not like i get to buy a new bently each month.

Since I started training, I've been texting and texting all of my classmates if i could use there gi's the few hours leading up to class time. I feel like a freeloader, and I want it to stop.

Now im not asking for charity, just a discount, so here's my question.

Would any sherdogers have a spare gi they are willing to sell? They are too expensive for myself and my love for BJJ has brought me to ask here.

Any color, and usage (no blood please.... well... not alot), an A2 or A3 should suffice. Any help would be so largely appreciated.

You could post here or shoot me an email
[email protected]
or
[email protected] (phones email)

Thanks Sherdog

wouldn't it be easier to buy one from someone in your club since obviously you already know some people with extra gis that fit you?

Not exactly, the only 2 people I have ever borrowed from, one is too small and the other is my instructors, when i borrow it, he uses his sentimental gi Renzo gave him or something lol.

Also, are these Fuji gi's good quality? I appreciate the link, and the price lol

just go nogi until you can afford a gi?

Gorilla Fight Gear is doing a special on their Apeman gi where you can get it for 60 bucks.

Or, you can get an unbleached Howard Combat Kimono for like 50 bucks. C'mon guy, you can save up 50 dollars.

Start taking surveys online or something.

Also, are these Fuji gi's good quality? I appreciate the link, and the price lol

Yes. I've had my Fuji for about a year now and the only problem I've had with it are the pants ripping, but I fixed that by rolling up my waistband when I put them on. So yes, if you can afford it, buy a Fuji.

On Budovideos you can go even cheaper.

I actually wore this one for about 4 years with drying before it broke down structurally. If you have in-proportionately long arms, you might not want it tho. Like the reviews say, the sleeves shrink a bit more - Budovideos.com - Adidas White BJJ Single Weave Training Gi

A lot of guys at my gym have this one. It's sturdy and reliable. It's a couple bucks more than the Adidas one, but longer and thicker also. - Budovideos.com - HCK Standard Unbleached Single Weave BJJ Kimono

Just get a really cheap judo gi, the cheapest ones are like fifty dollars

Does your gym sell gi's? If they do maybe you can talk to your instructor and tell him you are on a real tight budget and ask if you could pay in installments

Be careful. Some judo gi's make life easier for a BJJ player's opponent.. wide sleeves, soft lapels. Also some are short in the pants, might not be legal for jiu-jitsu competition.

I'd say grab a Fuji gi. It's a pretty darn nice gi that will hold up for quite some time.

I'd also recommend the Padilla and Sons brand...mine has held up extraordinarily well.

Be careful. Some judo gi's make life easier for a BJJ player's opponent.. wide sleeves, soft lapels. Also some are short in the pants, might not be legal for jiu-jitsu competition.

Not to be a jerk, but if he can pay for competitions, he can pay for a gi.

I appreciate all this guys, thanks

but since school started, im taking 16 credits, which is like 20 hours or so a week.... so in the summer, instead of school, it was a 2nd job giving me a lot more spending money.... just a sort-of explanation lol.

I did NoGi at naga Battle at the Beach and really want to do both Gi and NoGi at North East NAGA this November.

Quick question... my body type is.... different?
I'm 6'3, very very slim, almost no muscle. 175 walking around, 169 (159 even) for competition. Tremendously long arms.... my reach is 72' i think? Should I be A3 or A2?

I just got a fuji Gi and i love it. if you're on a tighter budget maybe go with pirhana bjj gi? they're really cheap, even cheaper than fuji's but they are a lil bit baggy. On that note, i've used it for about a year now and really is totally fine with it, just wanted to get one that i could use for competition and that is not baggy)

The first gi I bought, which was for Judo, cost me 30 euros. Which is around 40 dollars, and I really didn't look much for one, I just bought the first one I saw at the first store I visited.

Back