A Varied Diet Is Deficient?

TopCat

The Most Tip-top
Reaction score
Saw Berardi post this on his blog:

Food Alone May Not Provide Sufficient Micronutrients for Preventing Deficiency

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006 Jun 5;3:51-5.
Misner B.

ABSTRACT:

The American Dietetic Association (ADA) has stated that the best nutritional strategy for promoting optimal health and reducing the risk of chronic disease is to wisely choose a wide variety of foods. Seventy diets were computer analyzed from the menu of athletes or sedentary subjects seeking to improve the quality of micronutrient intake from food choices. All of these dietary analyses fell short of the recommended 100% RDA micronutrient level from food alone. Therefore, based on diets analyzed for adequacy or inadequacy of macronutrients and micronutrients, a challenging question is proposed: "Does food selection alone provide 100% of the former RDA or newer RDI micronutrient recommended daily requirement?"

We've long agreed in here that at least in America, food quality sucks.

Absolutely. And as long as the corporate machine keeps chugging and the common American embraces their ignorance, the problem will only worsen.

Absolutely. And as long as the corporate machine keeps chugging and the common American embraces their ignorance, the problem will only worsen.

"What are you talking about? I eat a salad every day!" -- Common American

It's funny because I was talking to a girl who is a swimmer and recently took Health classes. She's 5'9" and 165, and wants to trim down to swim better. She also reported debilitating soreness some days. It sounded to me like her protein intake was insufficient. She replied:

"I eat lots of tofu and spinach."

I did my best not to demean her for thinking either of those have sufficient amino profiles, but then she also laid out her daily eating and I'd say a good 85% of it was carbohydrates. She also said:

"I watch my protein intake because protein turns to fat of the body doesn't use it."

Needless to say I'm taking it upon myself to write her out something a little better-informed, after taking to time to show her why her Health classes were utterly incorrect and out-dated.

I wagered with her that if she stuck to the basic things I'd indicate, she'd drop 10-15lbs pretty quickly and easily.

This is one of those kind of depressing things where you say "damn it, now what"

Learn proper nutrition. It's not difficult, I promise.

Back