A turtle question and a short story

HotViolence

White Belt
Reaction score
When in turtle with the opponent at your head and both arms + shoulder tight to the one leg, what can you do if they sprawl that leg out besides slide in with the gap they left and take half guard? is there any way to prevent the sprawl or is it something i'm just gonna have to live with?

Also, today we had a new guy in to roll with us (today is open mat) and he was here last week, he swept and mounted everyone from the smaller scrappier guys to the much larger boys who had a bit more experience than him (he has about a year of experienced). I was nervous because this guy looks like a monster and from what I saw, no problem controlling, sweeping, passing, and submitting larger people with more experience than him. Anyways, he asked if I wanted to roll and even though I was nervous I just thought "Hey, if I get smashed I just get smashed, whatever, all I hope is I can learn something from this". So we slap hands and he sits back and starts to play open guard which is what I usually end up doing since there is generally no point midget wrestling with people for five minutes when I'm almost always the smaller guy (5'9 135). We ended up rolling for about 25 minutes and I was mounted once, swept twice and had my guard passed twice. I passed his guard twice, swept once and took his back once (thanks gerbil for the back take from side control! :D ). The part I'm happiest about, and the whole reason I've written this all out was defending sub attempt after sub attempt from him, escaping and surviving everything he threw at me and ending up in 50/50 (or something close to that) I was able to get a straight ankle lock for the tap. I know he was gassed by the end of if and that no doubt had a lot to do with me getting it, but defending and wearing him out, not getting tapped to me was something quite special too. It made all the effort I put out in class, and time I put in when I'm at home/on the bus/wherever studying and thinking about jiu jitsu seem worth it, its just a big mental "hey, its paying off" and it feels really good, sorry for the length.

left out a few details, he's 5'11 215 1 year exp
as compared to little old me, 5'9 135 6 months exp

Last edited:
When in turtle with the opponent at your head and both arms + shoulder tight to the one leg, what can you do if they sprawl that leg out besides slide in with the gap they left and take half guard? is there any way to prevent the sprawl or is it something i'm just gonna have to live with?

Also, today we had a new guy in to roll with us (today is open mat) and he was here last week, he swept and mounted everyone from the smaller scrappier guys to the much larger boys who had a bit more experience than him (he has about a year of experienced). I was nervous because this guy looks like a monster and from what I saw, no problem controlling, sweeping, passing, and submitting larger people with more experience than him. Anyways, he asked if I wanted to roll and even though I was nervous I just thought "Hey, if I get smashed I just get smashed, whatever, all I hope is I can learn something from this". So we slap hands and he sits back and starts to play open guard which is what I usually end up doing since there is generally no point midget wrestling with people for five minutes when I'm almost always the smaller guy (5'9 135). We ended up rolling for about 25 minutes and I was mounted once, swept twice and had my guard passed twice. I passed his guard twice, swept once and took his back once (thanks gerbil for the back take from side control! :D ). The part I'm happiest about, and the whole reason I've written this all out was defending sub attempt after sub attempt from him, escaping and surviving everything he threw at me and ending up in 50/50 (or something close to that) I was able to get a straight ankle lock for the tap. I know he was gassed by the end of if and that no doubt had a lot to do with me getting it, but defending and wearing him out, not getting tapped to me was something quite special too. It made all the effort I put out in class, and time I put in when I'm at home/on the bus/wherever studying and thinking about jiu jitsu seem worth it, its just a big mental "hey, its paying off" and it feels really good, sorry for the length.
Nice work, it's always great when you see all your effort unfold. Where are you training if you don't mind me asking?

Richmond Martial Arts under a ex-marcus soares now royce gracie brown belt
do you live in the lower mainland?

Richmond Martial Arts under a ex-marcus soares now royce gracie brown belt
do you live in the lower mainland?
Yeah, and I was searching for a good place to train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, I'll give it a look online.

which city do you live in? I could maybe help direct you to something closer if richmond isn't where you live/too far away

try out west coast bjj
the head there is don white whitefield, from what I hear he's very good, he's a carlson gracie instructor. He got his blackbelt under ricardo de la riva and is the official de la riva rep here in canada.
just google west coast bjj, first result
and if you have the free time hop on over to richmond, there's a ton of good/nice guys here and we always enjoy having new people come in.

try out west coast bjj
the head there is don white whitefield, from what I hear he's very good, he's a carlson gracie instructor. He got his blackbelt under ricardo de la riva and is the official de la riva rep here in canada.
just google west coast bjj, first result
and if you have the free time hop on over to richmond, there's a ton of good/nice guys here and we always enjoy having new people come in.
Me and my buddy were looking at Westcoast BJJ already, and the schedule seems very flexible. Undecided yet, but these both seem like great options. Thanks man.

you could also go to marcus soares' school in new west, hes a 7th degree red and black, has insane workouts before technique and rolling, and produces all around monsters, denis kang got his black belt from marcus

you could also go to marcus soares' school in new west, hes a 7th degree red and black, has insane workouts before technique and rolling, and produces all around monsters, denis kang got his black belt from marcus
I heard about that place, I figured it would cost a ton?

I haven't the slightest clue to be honest with you, you get a free lesson or two to check it out and see how it is there, I'm thinking of going soon just to see what level everyone is sorta at there, I would love to train with him regardless of commute and price, but with a full semester of university coming up, time and money go elsewhere :(

Oh no doubt the training there would be top-notch, I'd just feel a little bit silly going there considering I don't have that much Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training under my belt.

I know how you feel, but I don't think theres much, if anything besides fighting alligators or something thats gonna prepare you for the ass whoopin that marcus lays down on his students, so I say if you have the time, just go for it.

I know how you feel, but I don't think theres much, if anything besides fighting alligators or something thats gonna prepare you for the ass whoopin that marcus lays down on his students, so I say if you have the time, just go for it.
Haha, that is true. I should/will probably check it out.

If you do pm me and tell me how it goes, i'd really like to hear

on another note, can someone answer my question?

Back