A trip to Vegas: training under Sinister aka Luis Monda

Doubt luis care much about "forum rep".. But your posts reeks with envy. Maybe you care a bit too much about forum rep?

A well known coach would probably do you better then a private session with a superstar like Roy Jones or floyd.

You remind me of those guys who goes to Thailand to train. But wont train at a gym with other farrangs. They only want gyms with high ranked Bangkok fighters.

Doubt you will get the point.. Probably your ego will get hurt. And you wont get it. Either way. I wont waste more time on this discussion.

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my experience of going to Vegas (for 3 and a half weeks) in order to train with Luis , better known as Sinister here.

About me:
I was a former thaboxer until I had an injure and then I occasioanlly boxed but I was inactive.
Basically I am out of shape and overweight but the interest in boxing never died which lead me to following what Luis wrote in this forum.
I came from Germany to Las Vegas in order train under him (so all the US American reader´s don´t make excuses like it´s too far away ;-) )

It was an awesome experience.
Luis basically trains 3 groups a day at 12am, 4pm and 6pm.
The training occurs in a group setting with drills.
I trained always at the 12 am group which consists of the advanced guys/fighters.
Everyone in the team is very warm and welcome no matter which experience level.
My biggest fear of being treated in a condescending manner by other guys did not happen; quite the contrary the experienced ones also give you good advice and help you to improve.
The drills will teach you a lot. Every drill has multiple purposes like improving biomechanics/phisiology/mobility/flexibility/stability .
Basically Luis will explain you the drill and then you drill with a partner.
The drills will also teach you self reliance as he will not babysit you and make you rely on him.
You will do the drills and self correct and your body learns to do the movement.
Of course Luis will also provide feedback for correction but he does not tend to overwhelm you with information and want to make sure that you execute it without overthinking.
The drills are playful but also improve other aspects then the other one that I mentioned like: sense of range and positioning-doing the technique in relation to sense range (your range+positioning and the opponent´s range+positionig) + balance+leverage+footwork.
A lot of things are built into those drilsl that you don´t see as you understand them but as you reflect about them you see more things that come with them.
Luis is also a person I would describe as a teacher, not as a "coach" or "trainer".
It was always great to have a deep conversation with him and he intends to build more then boxers or foghters but also teach values (not in a preaching way but more in a subtle or shamanic way let´s say)
Everything I know about boxing, how I see boxing is from this man.
It is just beautiful to see and learn the art of boxing, the sweet science of boxing of man that has a genuine love for boxing and lives boxing.
If give you also an anecdote which says a lot about him:
The gym was closed for a couple of days.
While the other boxers with other trainers in the gym could not train.
Luis took action and made sure that his boxers could train at another place.
He really cares man.
This place btw. was a good gym with excellent fighters and also the legendary Mike Mccallum Luis´teacher walked in there because he trains fighters there.
We took a photo with Mike which as a big honour.
I learned a lot from Luis and want to thank him.
I just can tell all of you that just go and train with him-make it happen.
You will not regret it.
Furthermore if you read his stuff like the tile exercise.
Maybe you think you know how to do it but are you really sure?
There are A LOT of subtle elements which you will not get from reading all Sinister´s threads and watching all of his videos but from going there.

If this post sparked your interest or fueled your enthusiasm for going to train under Sinister "one day"
-> Make it happen. Define the day on which you go and go.

ps: his page is here:
https://www.facebook.com/Levantar/

If you ever benefited from an advice he wrote in the forum, why not give something back by liking the page and writing a good review ;-)

A Sherdogger that travelled across the world to train under another Sherdogger, I salute you!!

Sounds like you had a good trip to see Sinister and benefited from it..........thank you for posting a review, some Sherdogger's have a lot to learn from you!

Doubt luis care much about "forum rep".. But your posts reeks with envy. Maybe you care a bit too much about forum rep?

A well known coach would probably do you better then a private session with a superstar like Roy Jones or floyd.

You remind me of those guys who goes to Thailand to train. But wont train at a gym with other farrangs. They only want gyms with high ranked Bangkok fighters.

Doubt you will get the point.. Probably your ego will get hurt. And you wont get it. Either way. I wont waste more time on this discussion.

You are sure proving the wisdom comes with age theory wrong

Did i ever say Luis cares about his forum rep, maybe its the most important thing in the world to him, maybe he doesnt care either way. I never suggested either so not sure why youre syaing that

The RJJ point was that this guy has spent all this money to go and train. If youre going to do that atleast pick a celebrity fighter who has done it all. Then you have the experience of training with them, maybe a few play spar rounds, a picture etc and you have the stories to tell and photos to show. That is a once in a lifetime thing which you pay and travel for because you cant get it where you live.......unlike training from a normal coach which is easily found where you live

Anything else you cant understand old man ?

Do you understand how to use quotation marks?

I also never said you are terrible, you are good actually but your clone is easily found

What i am saying is, you are a boxing coach who is decent at his job of coaching boxing, but so are thousands of others. Its not like youre some prolific trainer of champions or a celebrity trainer. So why make a special trip to see some normal boxing coach who has achieved nothing of note (not a dig, just a fact) and spend all that money, when you can find someone the exact same level as you right there in your home town

Youre just an average guy, nothing wrong with that of course but for someone to spend all that cash to come and see you is mental. Its just based on a forum rep and not real world results

Tell me honestly do you believe spending $2500 on a trip to see you for 3 weeks will imrpove anyones boxing skill more than if they searched for the best coach in their area and paid for 100 private lessons ? The answer is obvious and one is so far superior to the other that it shouldnt even be a question.

As ive already said, if the intention was a nice Las Vegas holiday and to play around at your boxing gym then that is fine, but if the purpose of the trip was to improve boxing skill then the money was surely wasted or very very badly managed

Does it really matter TS wanted to do it and had a good time.

Why don't you go and train with Sinister and post your own review?

Life is about experiences, some are great, some are terrible and some you will forget after a couple of days...... Don't waste your life, TS didn't.........

Does it really matter TS wanted to do it and had a good time.

Why don't you go and train with Sinister and post your own review?

Life is about experiences, some are great, some are terrible and some you will forget after a couple of days...... Don't waste your life, TS didn't.........

This is a bizarre argument

TS didnt waste his life because he went to vegas or wherever it is and took a few boxing classes ?

As ive already stated multiple times, if he was going for a holiday trip and experience and then called in to Sinister along the way and had fun, then that makes good sense and is great

My point is value for money thats all. I was simply stating he could have gotten far far superior value IF THE PURPOSE WAS TO IMPROVE HIS BOXING SKILL by paying a trainer near him

Lets just leave it now because ive made my point, its easy to understand, if you dont agree thats fine

TS didnt waste his life because he went to vegas or wherever it is and took a few boxing classes ?

As ive already stated multiple times, if he was going for a holiday trip and experience and then called in to Sinister along the way and had fun, then that makes good sense and is great

My point is value for money thats all. I was simply stating he could have gotten far far superior value IF THE PURPOSE WAS TO IMPROVE HIS BOXING SKILL by paying a trainer near him

Lets just leave it now because ive made my point, its easy to understand, if you dont agree thats fine

Like I said, how about going and doing some training under Sinister and post your own review..........? Then you can say if it was worth the money....... Life's not all about money.......

When you are that good you will get even people from Germany or Norway coming your way for instruction. It only makes sense.
TS made a thread to share the wonderful time he had.
You must be really petty and rude to come and talk shit here.

The training video looked trash, for one. Im aware that isnt all theyre doing but why video that? people doing Sinisters variation on crossfit. He really fancies himself as a strength and conditioning guru now [\quote]
I don’t think you understand Sins system at all. And he he does have a system to training and progression it’s not just come in and do whatever for a couple hours and call it a day sort of thing. Which is how a lot of other trainers operate.

So lets work this out, Flights, hotel and training for a couple of weeks. Lets be kind and estimate $2500 for that. You get Sinisters crossfit routines and to work with some other nobodies in a few boxing classes. Or you can just stay home and do probably 100 private lessons with a coach for that. All attention on you working on solid stuff and actually improving
[\quote]
I went there for a couple reasons but one of the main attractions to me was McCallum and learning hat sin got from McCallum, Hanging around Toccos you do run into pros and amateurs and it is a great environment for boxing. So I got disagree with your notion of it being a place for nobodies. Once again the CrossFit jab. Do you have an actual critique on what sin teaches boxing wise?

Its obvious he wasted money but hey thats on him [\quote]
Nah it seems to be just you saying that. So not so obvious.

I dont get why Sinister is seen as a guy to go to. He just has done more than the usual forum dweller so he therefore attains "guru" status on the forum. Yet in reality he has done absolutely nothing of note, hasnt produced a single champion in all his years of training, so why anyone would fly from a different country and blow all that money to do some classes and what not with him is just weird to me. He is just a normal boxing trainer with no outstanding credentials [\quote]
No need to really explain his rep, he earned it.

If i was to fly out and do something like that, id go see Roy Jones jnr and do a couple of privates if he would do it. Atleast youre with a bonafide legend who knows his shit and you get to meet and talk to him , thats a once in a lifetime experience type deal that is worth doing. But flying to some no name amateur boxing coach is just ludacris, he could have gotten way better training at home if he just searched his area and then spent the money on 121s.

What did you feel you got out of the experience OP ?
For some of us this is that meeting. McCallum is my favorite boxer and his style was the one I wanted to emulate the most so meeting him, seeing him train his son. And pick Lu’s brain about boxing, McCallum, and Futch was what I was looking for so there’s that. Also you are really undervaluing what sin does and the atmosphere at Toccos if you think you could replicate it anywhere and with any coach.

Fuck me why is the quote editing thing all fucked up

@Sinister So what other coach at Tocco's did you piss off this time?

Theres plenty of coaches I have a very good reputation with, and then the few I don't. The ones I dont usually reflect opposing philosophies. The main one at Tocco's will spend most of his time bragging about how once upon a time he "trained" Carlos Navarro, Ruslan Chagaev, and Laila McCarter...and in 9 years I've known the guy none of them have even so much as visited him, or called. I can show you a fight of his where you can hear him yelling, and Carlos isnt doing anything he says...wins the fight. He didnt teach ANY of those fighters how to fight, nor anyone of note he ever worked with. He'll tell you how drills and conditioning are bullshit (as a slant to me), and how hes a REAL trainer. And if you show an inkling of aptitude he'll have you sparring a Pro or a nationally ranked amateur on your 3rd-5th day in the gym. Maybe after one week.

All you'll ever do is either mitt-work, consisting of precisely the same 3-5 punches, no defense. Or hit him as he wears a body shield and yells inspirational tough guy shit at you. Then he'll dismiss you to hit bags with no particular focus. Oh and if you're a bit chunky he will still discourage conditioning, but rather tell you to run and give you the priceless nutritional advice of "well, ya know...eat good, but not too much."

But according to salty mufuckas of that ilk, I'm the average (or below) fraud. Mostly these types are mad about three things. 1) I represent change from the norms. Unafraid to try things. 2) I dont let their opinion influence me if it doesnt actually make more sense than what we're doing. People like this often just want affirmation. To be told they're awesome and shown regard over others. When you dont make their say a priority, they get pissy. 3) due to their projections of self, they convince themselves that I've merely found some sort of scam. Because my approach to training has changed my role as a coach and I dont need to babysit my fighters. This absolutely baffles them as their entire motif is establishing unwavering co-dependency issues in their fighters. Even the 8 year-olds I train are capable of doing an entire effective workout on their own.

The training video looked trash, for one. Im aware that isnt all theyre doing but why video that? people doing Sinisters variation on crossfit. He really fancies himself as a strength and conditioning guru now

So lets work this out, Flights, hotel and training for a couple of weeks. Lets be kind and estimate $2500 for that. You get Sinisters crossfit routines and to work with some other nobodies in a few boxing classes. Or you can just stay home and do probably 100 private lessons with a coach for that. All attention on you working on solid stuff and actually improving

Its obvious he wasted money but hey thats on him

I dont get why Sinister is seen as a guy to go to. He just has done more than the usual forum dweller so he therefore attains "guru" status on the forum. Yet in reality he has done absolutely nothing of note, hasnt produced a single champion in all his years of training, so why anyone would fly from a different country and blow all that money to do some classes and what not with him is just weird to me. He is just a normal boxing trainer with no outstanding credentials

If i was to fly out and do something like that, id go see Roy Jones jnr and do a couple of privates if he would do it. Atleast youre with a bonafide legend who knows his shit and you get to meet and talk to him , thats a once in a lifetime experience type deal that is worth doing. But flying to some no name amateur boxing coach is just ludacris, he could have gotten way better training at home if he just searched his area and then spent the money on 121s.

What did you feel you got out of the experience OP ?
upload_2019-4-13_17-30-7.jpeg

I got no dog in this fight but . . . You want to critique peoples' arguments, logic and assumptions about you. Then go on to insult people in this thread via personal attacks (Ad Hominem)

This has nothing to do with anything.

You are sure proving the wisdom comes with age theory wrong
Anything else you cant understand old man ?

At least hold yourself to the standards you expect of others.

I am kinda with davem on this one... Well not the Sinister part, but the boxing part. Who in his right mind would go anywhere to train boxing?

Last edited:
still training guys at Toccos

IIRC he either owns or runs Toccos. Have to imagine that the last year and change has been a bitch with all the lockdowns and such. It’s gotta cut into his Sherdoging time, I’d imagine. Running a boxing gym is tough even in the best of times. Hopefully all is well

IIRC he either owns or runs Toccos. Have to imagine that the last year and change has been a bitch with all the lockdowns and such. It’s gotta cut into his Sherdoging time, I’d imagine. Running a boxing gym is tough even in the best of times. Hopefully all is well
id hope he’s running it or owning it. He loves that place and the boxing community in vegas

id hope he’s running it or owning it. He loves that place and the boxing community in vegas

Ditto. The fight game is in tough times nowadays, specifically at the grassroots level. Not just due to the economic climate but also due to the encroachment of MMA gyms.

Not knocking the quality of MMA gym’s, mind you.

That’s the ticket dude. Very few people get rich off of running a gym or training. Very few.

So even if I’m not on board with all of a trainers practices, as long as he’s not a complete shit show I ’m rooting for him to do right by his charge

Back