A "time to bail from side control" question

almann1979

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Okay - I know all I ever do is ask questions :icon_sad:

I apologise for that - maybe in a few years Ill know enough to actually offer some advice myself but for now.... here I go again :icon_lol:

When in side control, if my partner manages to get is hands under me and started to "bench" me off his chest I struggle with:

a) Knowing when the right time to bail is.
b) Knowing which transition to make.

Is there a way around this to settle back into a tight side control - or am I too late here. My head tells me that the best transition is K.O.B here - am I right?

I find that I take too long to think when this happens, and if I can just find a "go to" transition that I know other people use, then that'll stop me just giving up top control so quickly.

Any suggestions would really be hugely appreciated as always.

Thanks

If they're benching you straight up you should be able to KOB or mount at will. If they're turning into you and stiff-arming, you need this kind of movement:
[YT]zT571OuNVaM[/YT]
to turn towards their back

If they're benching you straight up you should be able to KOB or mount at will. If they're turning into you and stiff-arming, you need this kind of movement:
[YT]zT571OuNVaM[/YT]
to turn towards their back

I was also thinking about posting a spider guard pass question, so that video is doubly helpful.

Go to Knee Mount, then straight into an armbar if they're really sticking their arms out.

So are you one of those really strong guys that holds side mount the entire roll on the smaller guys? You need to advance position and try different things.

If they are benching knee on belly is a great option. Pull their arms as well and really put pressure on their stomach. It is a tight position and if you have good grips on the arm just pass by sliding the knee on belly across the stomach while pulling their arms up.

So are you one of those really strong guys that holds side mount the entire roll on the smaller guys? You need to advance position and try different things.

Me?? Not at all. I am one of those new guys that has a white belt with no stripe, no game plan, and basically no idea :)

Other than that I rock 😀

If they are benching knee on belly is a great option. Pull their arms as well and really put pressure on their stomach. It is a tight position and if you have good grips on the arm just pass by sliding the knee on belly across the stomach while pulling their arms up.

Thanks!

Knee on belly, all day. And if you don't already, learn how to windshield-wipe from side to side, switch to knee on neck, spin behind etc. – if the guy is spazzing to escape side control, a dynamic knee on belly game will wear him down. (And provide lots of submission options.)

Is KOB something that would work well for a smaller guy? I know everything can work for every type of person but is this something that would be suited to a smaller guys game?

It works pretty well for me at 160 lbs, at least. I might just be a little biased, but I'm inclined to believe knee on belly is a very good part of anyones game, big or small. Especially in the gi.

Is KOB something that would work well for a smaller guy? I know everything can work for every type of person but is this something that would be suited to a smaller guys game?

Yes. I'm 140 lbs and KOB is a major part of my game once I've passed the guard. I like the mobility that it gives me against a bigger, slower opponent. It might feel awkward at first, but it's worth getting good at.

Yes.

Or the small guy needs to learn jiu jitsu.

Anyway, TS just switch your hips to deflect the bench pressing motion. BAM back in side control with no large motion needed. Make sure you drive your own head underneath your opponents armpits when you go for it to avoid getting off balance

Back