A situation

Noskill

Created Monkey
Reaction score
Your guard is open, your opponent has one knee up in your guard and is sitting down on his other. What is your reaction?

I'm having trouble with people taking that kind of posture in my guard, so I wonder how you guys reverse the tides from there and keep attacking. I feel I'm in defense mode when it happens.

A few things I thought might work :

- Coming up and pushing them on their back
- Switching to butterlfy guard and sweep from there

Better ones?

*** NOTE : The guard is already open.

play open guard(s). Don't let him control your legs with his grips. So grab those sleeves before he grips your pants. If he already gripped your pants, break his grip (bring your knee to your chest, grab his sleeve, kick your leg out), and don't leg him regain his grip on your pants. He wants to control your legs, Don't let him!

de la riva guard is a good option if you can snake your leg inside behind his upright leg. there are other open guards you can try as well. Spider guard, butterfly guard, sitting up guard, inverse guard, and many other guards I don't know the names for.

there is also this "new" kind of guard that I picked up while in Brazil, it's like a half spider guard, half half guard. the leg that goes inside the oponents lead leg is not the outside leg, but the inside one. And the the outside leg goes either on his hip (if he stands) or on his armpit to keep the distance if he leans down. your arms go one in collar, the other in the far arm. Ricardinho vieira showed me a bunch of sweeps from that position.

kind of hard to describe, but very good! I like to play from a top position, but I have been trying this game now and I've been sweeping everybody with it! :D

The top man's position is usually called "combat base." You can find a lot of free instructionals about playing guard v. combat base floating around the internets.

He is giving you the ankle when he posts his leg, so a good way to start is grab that ankle. This limits his options and will let you off-balance him and sets up sweeps and different guard variations. Just grab that ankle and see what happens.

The top man's position is usually called "combat base." You can find a lot of free instructionals about playing guard v. combat base floating around the internets.

He is giving you the ankle when he posts his leg, so a good way to start is grab that ankle. This limits his options and will let you off-balance him and sets up sweeps and different guard variations. Just grab that ankle and see what happens.

Ya, grab the ankle and pull it out. This opens him up for your DLR hook. Phil Migliarese showed a bunch of cool sweeps from here. I'm sure that you can find a few on the net.

create some space for De la riva

Back