A Single Concussion May Triple the Long-Term Risk of Suicide

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know it's kind of off topic for this forum but still I am going to post it here. Hope any moderator will place it to more suitable sub-forum.

Summary: A new study of mild concussions in Canadian adults suggests the risks are even higher for recreational injuries( for fighters or Athletes etc)
This is a high quality study. Huge sample size, good long term longitudinal data, controlled for most important demographic variables.

I think, MMA fighters who have been knocked out at some point, whether in a match or in sparring sessions should visit a psychiatrist to know if any kind of suicidal behaviour is building up in their mind. We just don't want to lose any fighter for this reason.

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...on-may-triple-the-long-term-risk-of-suicide1/

Watching Concussion really opened my eyes.

I'm not a big NFL fan in any way, but I couldn't help but think of MMA while watching.

PV1RY.gif

what were the demographics of the study?

what were the demographics of the study?
A quarter of a million adults in Ontario who were diagnosed with a mild concussion over a timespan of 20 years.

I would think it's very hard to go through an entire lifetime without getting a concussion. I played football, rugby and lacrosse through high school and college. Never got one. Then someone put a parking block in front of a doorway in a parking garage and tripped and banged my head on the concrete.

I would think it's very hard to go through an entire lifetime without getting a concussion. I played football, rugby and lacrosse through high school and college. Never got one. Then someone put a parking block in front of a doorway in a parking garage and tripped and banged my head on the concrete.

I have to agree, have you recovered from that incident well?

Great to lift it up as a real problem. Too many people go due to this reason.

Crossing the road too often without looking will triple the chances of getting knocked down

Back