A Retrospective Look Back at Sakuraba Rampage, 15 Years Later

Rampage didn't realize that Sakuraba was a pro wrestler that was used to taking slams over and over again

Anyway do you guys think any version of GSP would have beaten rampage in 2001? If not why do people rank GSP above Sakuraba? Sakuraba is a natural welterweight..

I believe Rampage has implied that fight was a work. I'm not saying it was, but it's a relevant part of the history.

I believe Rampage has implied that fight was a work. I'm not saying it was, but it's a relevant part of the history.

I don't know for sure but I think it was that they said they'd bonus rampage if he got KOd or choked out. I think he just ignored it though based on the fact he tapped. Who knows though.

Rampage is full od BS. Sakuraba took quite a bit of punishment in that fight. Sak was thrown to prime Mirko, Wandy (twice) and Rampage in 17 months. They seemed to wanted him dead, and they did manage to destroy him.

Rampage isn't the most credible person and it's not like he held back in that fight.

They for sure made him cut extra weight and he claims they poisoned him. Other orgs I'd say a story like that is bullshit but with early Pride and Sakuraba it's possible.

They offered Rampage money to throw the fight by getting KO'd or to get subbed and not tap (go unconscious), he refused.

I'm never the type of fighter that would lose for money," Jackson said. "I don't do that. But they told me, 'If you win this fight, you get $10,000.' But they told me -- these are like the two people from PRIDE who got fired recently, I don't know if the president of PRIDE knew about it -- but they told me themselves: 'If you lose by knockout or submission and you don't tap, you get $12,000.

I said, 'But what if I knock him out?' and they said 'You get $10,000.' Then I understood what was going on. This was my first time fighting in the big show in Japan and I learned sometimes they wanted the other guy to win.

I knew it was going to be tough for me to win that fight, so I went out there and gave it my best anyways to get my $10,000

http://www.mmanews.com/pride-tried-bribing-rampage-to-lose-to-sakuraba/

Man now I have to watch this fight again. It's been a while!

Back