a quick question about bowing in and out of judo

wmike9902**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just got promoted to brown so im supposed to bow us in and out but I have no idea what to say can anyone tell me what to say?

Kiotsuke Attention [discipline your spirit]

Rei Bow

You could always get crazy and ask too.

ya ill probably do that its just the fact that ive been doing judo for years and ive probably should have picked it up by now.

I had the same problem a couple of months back when i got my shodan.

Depends upon the club. In our club its just Kyoteski and rei. I've seen some where they turn and bow to pictures of Kano, I've seen some where they just say rei, I've even seen some where they don't bother with a bow-in.

Ask your instructor if you're not sure.

thats the only thing i didnt like about judo..

Your in america, but your speaking japanese.

i would just say "Bow, allright guys lets start."

Thats becaue Judo is a Japanese art. Not American. If your gonna do the art, you do it the way it's supposed to be done.

Since you're on it, you should also be wearing jeans, boots and a cowboy hat for rolling instead of a gi.

Our instructor is pretty laid back on that. We still do the three bows, but you could do it in German and he wouldn't care.

Pay homage to the roots, know where Judo comes from.
Nothing wrong with that

On Topic:
I'm surprised someone could get to brown w/o knowing the way to bow in.

1. Kit - Sue - Key = Attention
2. Ray = Bow
3. Smith Sen - say = Teacher Smith
4. Ray = Bow

We only do the rei part

one of the BB in the club when he coaches jsut shouts random words from Shogun it is hilarius

It's not a big deal. If you play baseball in Germany they call "strikes", "balls", and "outs" instead of translating it into German. If nothing else, makes it easier in international competition if you have the same terminology everywhere. Otherwise you have to learn the terms for every language that provides a referee (what's Spanish for "hajimai", or Chinese?)

Kimura, Omoplata, gogoplata are hardly english words either

likewise jujustu (in all it's differnt spellings)

It's not a big deal. If you play baseball in Germany they call "strikes", "balls", and "outs" instead of translating it into German. If nothing else, makes it easier in international competition if you have the same terminology everywhere. Otherwise you have to learn the terms for every language that provides a referee (what's Spanish for "hajimai", or Chinese?)

Dayum. Never considered that. Good point georgejjr. By point, I mean complete explanation.

Kudos.

Back