A Question for the IT/CompScience guys?

fungi

Ël Tîtúlò
@Silver
Reaction score
Spoke with a programmer/"CS architect" some time ago. He told me that up to half/third of code was written by AI.

With all the AI rapid development, is there a future for IT/programmers?

Or are robots gone "took ur jerbs" even from the "computer" dudes?

If there's a potential in some field, what can I recommend to my nephew?

Reactions: Gio
Always a future for people who have a clue. I am not a programmer but there’s tons of IT jobs out there. It’s all I have ever done professionally.

If half of his code was written by AI with no verification then either he's writing extremely simple scripts or I genuinely feel bad for anyone that uses it.

Programming/software engineering jobs aren't going anywhere.

Always a future for people who have a clue. I am not a programmer but there’s tons of IT jobs out there. It’s all I have ever done professionally.
So, AI threat is not as bad as it seems?

If half of his code was written by AI with no verification then either he's writing extremely simple scripts or I genuinely feel bad for anyone that uses it.

Could he have been bullshitting?

Could he have been bullshitting?

Was he claiming half to one third of all code is written by AI or just his code? The former is complete bullshit but the latter may be true depending on what he's doing (I still doubt it though).

It's my understanding that AI is just a tool that will make engineers faster and more efficient.

While AI is indeed becoming more prevalent in software development, it's unlikely that it will completely replace human programmers anytime soon. Instead, it's more likely to augment and streamline the development process. Programmers will still be needed to design, manage, and maintain AI systems, as well as to solve complex problems that AI algorithms can't handle on their own.

For your nephew, I would recommend focusing on developing a strong foundation in computer science, software engineering, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, exploring areas such as machine learning, data science, and artificial intelligence could provide valuable skills for the future job market. It's important to adapt to the evolving landscape of technology and continuously update skills to stay relevant in the field.

Was he claiming half to one third of all code is written by AI or just his code? The former is complete bullshit but the latter may be true depending on what he's doing (I still doubt it though).
All code.

It's my understanding that AI is just a tool that will make engineers faster and more efficient.

That's the ideal scenario. Unfortunately many people are putting too much faith into these things and creating more work and headaches for everyone than if they had just written it themselves.

AI often creates something that might look ok but actually breaks easily, even in relatively simple cases. Code has to be tested rigorously and one should always validate/verificate AI-generated code (unless it's an extremely simple routine that has already been tested previously).

While AI is indeed becoming more prevalent in software development, it's unlikely that it will completely replace human programmers anytime soon. Instead, it's more likely to augment and streamline the development process. Programmers will still be needed to design, manage, and maintain AI systems, as well as to solve complex problems that AI algorithms can't handle on their own.

For your nephew, I would recommend focusing on developing a strong foundation in computer science, software engineering, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, exploring areas such as machine learning, data science, and artificial intelligence could provide valuable skills for the future job market. It's important to adapt to the evolving landscape of technology and continuously update skills to stay relevant in the field.
Thx. Appreciate it.

Any particular languages he should learn/start with?
Which ones have the most potential?

Lol. Wish him good luck and find someone else as a resource.
He was not a resource, he just a random acquaintance. His statement did pick my interest.

All this AI will take over talk scares the bejesus outta me.

He was not a resource, he just a random acquaintance. His statement did pick my interest.

All this AI will take over talk scares the bejesus outta me.

Software engineers/programmers are not using AI for half their code. It's mind boggling anyone would make that claim. AI will get better at coding over time but people have to understand what's actually going on and the limitations of AI.

If your nephew is genuinely interested in computer science and programming then have him start with Python. He'll be using it in school and should know it well. He'll be fine if he likes the field, works hard and networks with internships etc. There are so many things a good computer scientist can do, don't let fear get in the way of things.

We/They use it but not nearly to that scale. You can tell your nephew that GI AI is a ways away and that the field (depending on what he focuses on) is wide open for new talent and pays very well.

Software engineers/programmers are not using AI for half their code. It's mind boggling anyone would make that claim. AI will get better at coding over time but people have to understand what's actually going on and the limitations of AI.

If your nephew is genuinely interested in computer science and programming then have him start with Python. He'll be using it in school and should know it well. He'll be fine if he likes the field, works hard and networks with internships etc. There are so many things a good computer scientist can do, don't let fear get in the way of things.
Thx!

Are you saying that AI will replace that room of 100 monkeys bashing out python code!!! I bloody hope not, they cost me a fortune!!!!

It still will help to understand programming. But you will want to learn MS Power Platform, which uses AI for much of the coding. But a person still has to know how to use it.

Back