A question about one leg submission..

Shin^

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When you use a heelhook which twists your opponents leg (and ankle) to the same direction as toe hold, is it still called a heelhook? I mean that when people mention heelhook they mean (at least often) the dangerous leglock which can break your knee, but if it's done to the opposite direction (with a different kind of hold of course) it's more like an anklelock at least in my opinion. Do people find this submission dangerous as well? Does it really twist the knee too? This whole thing might be common knowledge, but it has kept me thinking.

going in a directiong with blade of forearm under ankle= ankle lock
going straight back with blade of forearm under achilles tendon= achilles lock( heel hook)

Shin^ said:
When you use a heelhook which twists your opponents leg (and ankle) to the same direction as toe hold, is it still called a heelhook? I mean that when people mention heelhook they mean (at least often) the dangerous leglock which can break your knee, but if it's done to the opposite direction (with a different kind of hold of course) it's more like an anklelock at least in my opinion. Do people find this submission dangerous as well? Does it really twist the knee too? This whole thing might be common knowledge, but it has kept me thinking.
I think you're asking about doing a leglock on the opposite side, in which case you're referring to an inverted heelhook. It's still a heelhook and if anything much more dangerous to the knee than the standard heelhook.

SmashiusClay said:
I think you're asking about doing a leglock on the opposite side, in which case you're referring to an inverted heelhook. It's still a heelhook and if anything much more dangerous to the knee than the standard heelhook.

Okay. Thanks for your reply.

TapSD said:
going in a directiong with blade of forearm under ankle= ankle lock
going straight back with blade of forearm under achilles tendon= achilles lock( heel hook)

I dont think so...a heel hook is a twisting ankle/knee lock where you forearm is under their heel and their toes are trapped under your arm pit.

A heal hook is the twisting of the ankle where your forearm is under the heal and the toes are trapped under your arm pit. An inverted heal hook is when the leg is on the opposite side of the body with your forearm under the heal and the toes trapped in your arm pit. The difference in the moves is on a regular heal hook the knee gets twisted inward and on an inverted heal hook the knee gets twisted outward. Both holds will damage both the ankle and the knee. It is easier to get out of a heal hook then an inverted heal hook. I feel the inverted heal hook does more damage.

My knee got messed up in a toe hold one time... I tapped and was holding my knee in pain, then the bluebelt who tapped me got mad at himself... he said it wasn't supposed to work that way. LOL!

Back