a few questions about a specific half guard pass

FuneralPyre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The pass I want to talk about is the one where you switch sides on your opponent. In a normal passing situation, if my opponent has my right leg trapped in half guard then my body is on his right from his POV. To start the pass I'm referring to in this situation, I would take my left foot and put it on the other side of his body by stepping backwards over him. It's basically the position you're in when you spin towards your back for a kneebar from top half guard but you're kind of sitting on the ground instead of directly on top of him. I don't know the name of this pass or I would have found a clip. Anyway, I hope my description is adequate.

My first question is when do you do this pass? What is it in response to? A lot of people try to do it when the bottom player has the underhook, but is that the only situation in which you go for this pass?

My other question is how do you like to control your opponent when doing this pass? I was taught to control the top leg with my hand and drive my other elbow under his far arm pit while using my free leg on his bottom leg to help me pass. I see all kinds of variations though. Some guys put their elbow against the opponent's far ear, some people use gi-specific grips (for example, if the opponent has an underhook from regular half guard, they get a deep overhook and grab the belt then spin and do the pass). What do you like?

Lastly, are there any youtube vids of this pass? I'm curious.

Sorry for the length of this post.

If this is the same pass I'm thinking about, then you will want to do a "fist in pit" to keep control of the bottom person. Say if you are passing on your opponents left side you will weave your hand behind his head and put the fist into the ground under his armpit, that way you can straighten out your arm and it'll keep him in a tight position. It's sort of like you described a bit ago I guess, but you don't put your arm so deep behind their head.

From there you can start doing some work towards your half guard pass.

Hope this helped.

When you back step over, slide your knee under his left leg, until you can get good head control, cross face to make him look away from you then pull his knees to the ground on your side, so you get the twist on his body, then scoot your hips up under his armpit and away, and use your free leg to kick his bottom leg down to free your leg.

Head control is key, also I go for this when they get the underhook and my attempts to repummel fail.

Back