A few more old photos from the box.

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Larry Holmes & me at his training camp before his first bout with Michael Spinks 1985.
20200126_163429.jpg
Larry's brother Mark & me after sparring at camp 1985.
20200127_165159.jpg
Me as an amateur 1980.
20200127_165719.jpg

20200127_165600.jpg
Me with Chuck Wepner who fought Ali in 1975 & inspired Stallone to create ROCKY.
20200127_165044.jpg
Speaking of ROCKY, me with Burt Young who played Paulie in the film series in Atlantic City 1990.
20200127_165413.jpg
Mitch "Blood" Green, heavyweight contender who took Mike Tyson the distance, got belted out by him in a street fight & a notorious street gang member who was one of filmmaker Walter Hill's inspirations for the movie THE WARRIORS. Atlantic City 1990.
20200127_165110.jpg
With future IBF light-welterweight world champion Charles "The Natural" Murray before a fight that I helped him prepare for in 1988.
20200127_165135.jpg
With former world lightweight champion Sean O'Grady before a Tuesday Night Fights card that I fought on the undercard of.
20200127_165011.jpg

Razor Ruddock & me Atlantic City 1990.
20200127_165435.jpg
My son, Nigel Benn & I with Angel Manfredy at his training camp for Diego Corrales fight.
20200127_165354.jpg
Dream fight Sugar Ray Leonard vs Nigel Benn.
20200127_165500.jpg
Me with a battered Hector Camacho at the post-fight party following his bout with Edwin "Chapo" Rosario at MSG 1986.
20200127_164934.jpg
With Evander Holyfield at the cocktail reception for Fight of the Decade Awards.
20200126_163335 (2).jpg
Riddick Bowe & me before our fights in Buffalo 1989. * Note that Bowe is 6'5" the average height of most Sherdoggers while I'm just 5'8" * LOL!
20200126_162957.jpg

the macho pic had to be at least several days after the fight, his eye was pretty swollen.

Burt Young laid the carpet in my fathers funeral home in Queens NY..

Burt Young laid the carpet in my fathers funeral home in Queens NY..
is that right? when? before he was an actor? One thing that seldom gets mentioned is that burt, in contrast with the weasely paulie character, was a very good undefeated pro boxer. He'd have no doubt easily kicked stallone's ass.

Thanks for sharing @sweetviolenturg. Always enjoy reading your stories and checking out your pics. Seems like you ran into just about everyone. Very cool.

I did not recognize Angel. Wow.

the macho pic had to be at least several days after the fight, his eye was pretty swollen.

Not at all. It was within an hour or two of the conclusion of the fight. He was fresh out of the shower in that pic. In fact, I'll never forget how much he smelled like Irish Spring. I wish the photo was clearer but, yeah, his face was swollen all over the place.

Not at all. It was within an hour or two of the conclusion of the fight. He was fresh out of the shower in that pic. In fact, I'll never forget how much he smelled like Irish Spring. I wish the photo was clearer but, yeah, his face was swollen all over the place.

I just watched the hbo interview portion, he wasn't that banged up but he was cut. I just remember how much he complained in sports illustrated (rightly so, I think his purse was like 300,000 which when you split it ten different ways isn't much) that "if this is macho, i want nothing to do with it". And his son told him he looked like a cabbage patch doll the next day. He didn't look that bad though, just not unscratched like we were used to seeing him. I still say though, that he was hit hard before, shaken before a couple times, some of the journos repeated the line "he took a punch for once and was never the same" I don't know, i just don't know.

Larry Holmes & me at his training camp before his first bout with Michael Spinks 1985.
View attachment 718269
Larry's brother Mark & me after sparring at camp 1985.
View attachment 718271
Me as an amateur 1980.
View attachment 718275

View attachment 718277
Me with Chuck Wepner who fought Ali in 1975 & inspired Stallone to create ROCKY.
View attachment 718279
Speaking of ROCKY, me with Burt Young who played Paulie in the film series in Atlantic City 1990.
View attachment 718281
Mitch "Blood" Green, heavyweight contender who took Mike Tyson the distance, got belted out by him in a street fight & a notorious street gang member who was one of filmmaker Walter Hill's inspirations for the movie THE WARRIORS. Atlantic City 1990.
View attachment 718283
With future IBF light-welterweight world champion Charles "The Natural" Murray before a fight that I helped him prepare for in 1988.
View attachment 718285
With former world lightweight champion Sean O'Grady before a Tuesday Night Fights card that I fought on the undercard of.
View attachment 718289
Hope you still training little and never drink alcohol

This is tight. Thanks for sharing, these are some great pics.

is that right? when? before he was an actor? One thing that seldom gets mentioned is that burt, in contrast with the weasely paulie character, was a very good undefeated pro boxer. He'd have no doubt easily kicked stallone's ass.

Not sure of the year, if I had to guess, early 70, late 60’s. He was from Queens NY I think. My family funeral home was in Corona NY, he was a carpet guy before he became an actor..

I love story time with uncle violent. One of the highlights of sherdog imo

@sweetviolenturg I don't know if you've been asked this before, I'm assuming you have, but what type brand of gloves did you prefer to fight with? Or did you not have a big opinion on it? Great stuff as always, btw. Thanks for the stories and pics as always.

@sweetviolenturg I don't know if you've been asked this before, I'm assuming you have, but what type brand of gloves did you prefer to fight with? Or did you not have a big opinion on it? Great stuff as always, btw. Thanks for the stories and pics as always.

I preferred Ringside's as opposed to Everlast's. But, if I'd had my druthers I'd have always used Reyes gloves. They weren't fun to get hit with but damn, as a banger I loved the way that they felt on my hands. Instead of 8 ounces, they felt like 4.
Thanks, again BTW. Always a pleasure.

Back