A couple of recent KO of the year contenders

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
1. There's a feeling in the MMA community that striking off of your back in the guard is a waste of energy. But the reality is a lot of guys are really quite good at it. Obviously Tony Ferguson comes to mind, but Alexsandro Praia recently won his ACA 130 fight by decision due to activity from the bottom.

Here, we see the real effectiveness of posting away and elbowing a forward moving opponent, as Dipchikov KOs Honeycutt with elbows from his back.

2. The muay thai clinch has really fallen out of favour in MMA. It's not to say we never see knee KO's from the clinch anymore, but they seem quite rare.

Here, Yuichi Miagi scores a KO with a knee from the clinch using something I really don't think I've ever seen before. On the right side he has an underhook. On the left side he has wrist control and he pins his opponent's wrist down. This gives him enough space to bring his left knee up for the KO. It just seems shocking that this isn't done more often because it's such a common position.

Now that I think about it, the last time I saw a knee KO like that was from Ryu Narushima. Just bringing the knee up over wrist control (timestamped). It seems so underutilized.

Dipchikov is underrated in general but he keeps making me money.

Felipe Lima also hit a nice flying knee to the body last week.

Here, we see the real effectiveness of posting away and elbowing a forward moving opponent
Made one of the earlier strikes into a GIF. Really shows how Dipchikov creates space.

giphy.gif

Praia was also doing it all fight in his fight against Yunus Evloev, not with the same KO power as he's a flyweight, but he did redecorate the canvas with Evloev's blood.

I mentioned this fight in my original post. Was a masterful performance off his back.

Apologies, I'm guilty of skim reading a lot.
I hate to admit you probably watch more MMA (especially Russian and European) than me.

I did watch Elismar Lima's fight per your recommendation. Anything else recent I should be watching from ACA/FNG/Brave?

I hate to admit you probably watch more MMA (especially Russian and European) than me.

I did watch Elismar Lima's fight per your recommendation. Anything else recent I should be watching from ACA/FNG/Brave?

Have you seen Tae Kyun Kim Vs Nurzhan Akishev from BRAVE? That's one of the fights of the year for me if you haven't, I don't think it's on Youtube though but if you know where to look...

Also it's not Russian but I'd highly recommend Jean Matsumoto Vs Wanderley Junior from SFT 28 if you didn't catch that one.

Have you seen Tae Kyun Kim Vs Nurzhan Akishev from BRAVE? That's one of the fights of the year for me if you haven't, I don't think it's on Youtube though but if you know where to look...

Also it's not Russian but I'd highly recommend Jean Matsumoto Vs Wanderley Junior from SFT 28 if you didn't catch that one.
Yes Tae Kyun Kim is on my radar as a top prospect. Haven't seen the other.

Yes Tae Kyun Kim is on my radar as a top prospect. Haven't seen the other.

This was a decent fight between enormous (size wise) HW prospects, trying to think of other good ones. Are you more interested in good scraps or good talents?

Back