A choice of schools...ideas?

Rowan11088

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey all. I just graduated from college and I'm home, at least for the summer. I want to train BJJ here in Westchester, NY (I have a few weeks experience from a club at school). I just went to my first class at gracie barra westchester (Gracie Barra of Westchester - GBWBJJ.com), and the instructor seemed solid, the guys as well. But apparently there's also a gracie place in Thornwood (Steve Kardian.com) that offers MMA stuff as well (which is my eventual goal). What do you all think? My instinct is to stick to the place I just went to, as the guys there all seem very friendly and skilled, and the other place just gives me the sense of a rip-off, or at the very least too structured of a program. But I really do need to train wrestling, boxing, MT, etc.

I know a few people who go to Gracie Barra Westchester and love it. The instruction is fantastic and the people are really nice and willing to help you. I don't know about the other place you mentioned.

Also I notice a lot of place in NYC opening up with MMA in their titles or on their signs.. I'm always sceptical of them and I believe unless you compete and do well you shouldn't be allow to teach MMA. How do you know your technique works? (watching a UFC doesn't qualify anyone).

Just my two cents.

Back