90's British MW and SMW

Pecker123

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hi. I would like to know how boxing fans judge the middleweight and super middle weight British fighters of the 90's.

Benn, Eubank, Watson especially.

Nigel Benn was my Favourite fighter growing up. He was a savage and a warrior. I think Watson was better but unfortunately his career was cut short.

I remember an ITV special where James Toney was involved. I think Toney would have beaten the lot of em. Easily depending on the weight.

However also think Eubank was a very special fighter but he went tooth and nail with Benn. Who destroyed Barkley and de witt and beat Mclellan .

So how do boxing fans judge these fighters?

That was an entertaining bunch. Very good fighters, but as you said I wouldn't see any of them beat Toney.

Legacywise I'd put Benn above Eubank - not by a mile - and Watson 3rd, even if Benn came up short in the round robin format.

That was an entertaining bunch. Very good fighters, but as you said I wouldn't see any of them beat Toney.

Legacywise I'd put Benn above Eubank - not by a mile - and Watson 3rd, even if Benn came up short in the round robin format.

I love Benn but Eubank beat Benn. How do you think they would have stacked up to Nunn?

I love Benn but Eubank beat Benn. How do you think they would have stacked up to Nunn?

Hard to tell. People tend to underrate Nunn a little, IMO. He was one slick fighter. Benn and Eubank were lesser boxers, IMO, but they were tougher SOBs. I think Nunn wins against both of them more often than not but he can get the occasional beating.

Hi. I would like to know how boxing fans judge the middleweight and super middle weight British fighters of the 90's.

Benn, Eubank, Watson especially.

Nigel Benn was my Favourite fighter growing up. He was a savage and a warrior. I think Watson was better but unfortunately his career was cut short.

I remember an ITV special where James Toney was involved. I think Toney would have beaten the lot of em. Easily depending on the weight.

However also think Eubank was a very special fighter but he went tooth and nail with Benn. Who destroyed Barkley and de witt and beat Mclellan .

So how do boxing fans judge these fighters?

I also loved Nigel benn as a kid. Without any bias I think he definitely had a better career than eubank. He took risks, fought out of his comfort zone and beat better fighters. Berkeley and McClellan were huge wins.
Eubank never really reached his potential imo because of the Watson fight. He lost his killer instinct, which is understandable. But that is going to impact on your boxing, especially for a fighter like eubank. He was never the same fighter

I think the fighters that they’d struggle to beat around that time are Toney, McCallum and obvs rjj.

Back