• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 Mic Albums Only

Admittedly I am a newjack (Wu-Tang Forever got me into hiphop) but I find it hard to relate to the simplistic lyrical style pre-mid-90s. Maybe Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane and Rakim, but beyond them, a lot of guys sound basic.

But I can acknowledge the impact at the time was probably much different than in hindsight lacking the historical context.

Easy coast rap at that time was much more about the lyrics than the west coast that produced party music and gangsta rap

Which One is your Fav.

Source 5 Mic Albums. These are God Tier Albums

Albums that originally received five mics:

I would go with Outkast Aquemini over everyone else but would take Scarface The Fix next.
You should post the full list. Or I can do it.
These are just the ones that were given 5 Mics upon their debut.
They went back and awarded around 40 other albums 5 mic status. Ones that didn't get reviewed initially or ones that were 4.5 mics and they bumped them up to 5 Mics.

Lil Kims Naked Truth is like a 3mic album but she was dating the editor at the time and was given 5 mics. Really that was pretty much the final straw for The Source magazine in the public's eye.
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, is another 3mic album. Not even a top 3 Kanye album but by 2008 the Source was basically done for.

Out of the list its without question probably Illmatic by Nas as the best album on there. You can argue A Tribe Called Quest or Ice Cubes debut solo album.
But its one of those.

This is the full list

Albums that were not rated upon their releases, but were later rated five mics in 2002:

Albums that originally received 4.5 mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Albums that originally received four mics, and were later re-rated to five:

lil kim? wut
In 2005, after Kimberly Osorio had been unlawfully fired, Mays and Benzino appointed Joshua "Fahiym" Ratcliffe to the E.I.C. post at the publication. That same year he abruptly resigned after he was ordered to lower the rating of Little Brother's The Minstrel Show from four-and-a-half to four. Lil' Kim's release, The Naked Truth, received the five mic rating instead. Although critics speculated that Lil' Kim's manager was dating Dave Mays, this was the first time that a female rapper ever received the highest rating in the magazine

From that list, the first Tribe record.

But, honestly, When Disaster Strikes by Busta Rhymes is better than all of the ones listed. It's definitely in the running for best hip-hop album of the 90's, IMO.

Lil Kim?

For reals?

Psh

Which One is your Fav.

Source 5 Mic Albums. These are God Tier Albums

I would go with Outkast Aquemini over everyone else but would take Scarface The Fix next.

On that list?

‘Low End Theory’ without even having to think about it. That album is a masterpiece

BlackStar I would cosign. Lyrically The Chronic does not deserve 5 mic IMO.

Never heard Paul's Boutique. But again, Beastie Boys were never known for their lyricism.

Of the albums in OP I would have to pick Illmatic. Though I feel that list is on some bullshit. A Lil' Kim album got 5 mics?

Paul’s Boutique is known for its innovation and being ahead of its time, it’s a really good experimental album.

Chuck D had a great quote about it something along the lines of ‘no one wanted to say it at the time, but the Beastie Boys had the best beats..’ or some shit like that.

On that list?

‘Low End Theory’ without even having to think about it. That album is a masterpiece

Back in the days when I was a teenager, before I had status and before I had a pager.......
giphy.gif

Back