Media Justin Gaethje talks Oliveira title fight, "Conor is irrelevant" - BT Sport

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Cliffs

- wins BT Sport 'fight of the year award' - "BT sport is a hell of a place to win something"
- thought fight was boring at first because didn't finish Chandler
- no dates / promises regarding title fight but expecting a call regarding the rumored Brazillian card soon
- stands by his comments that Oliveira had quit on him but says he has grown since then
- recalls giving Oliveira congratulations after his win at UFC 269
- says Conor is irrelevant as far as title picture due to broken leg, doesn't deserve it etc, and that it's only the media that keeps pushing the Oliveira / McGregor talk.
- looking forward to fighting in Brazil and having 20k+ Brazillians rooting for him to die
- concentrating on becoming his best self currently, trusts in coachs' ability to come up with good gameplan vs Oliveira

Why do people think the fight with him and Chandler was some spectacular fight? I'm not saying it sucked, the first round was great. But Gaethje was in complete control from the end of the first until the end of the fight. He dominated the 2nd and 3rd rounds as Chandler is nothing more than a glass cannon in the UFC. He goes for the home-run early and if he doesn't hit it, he's useless. Gaethje obviously deserves the title shot, but Dana has already made it clear that Conor will get the title shot in his return. It's just about what sells at the end of the day and Conor always sells.

Cliffs

- wins BT Sport 'fight of the year award' - "BT sport is a hell of a place to win something"
- thought fight was boring at first because didn't finish Chandler
- no dates / promises regarding title fight but expecting a call regarding the rumored Brazillian card soon
- stands by his comments that Oliveira had quit on him but says he has grown since then
- recalls giving Oliveira congratulations after his win at UFC 269
- says Conor is irrelevant as far as title picture due to broken leg, doesn't deserve it etc, and that it's only the media that keeps pushing the Oliveira / McGregor talk.
- looking forward to fighting in Brazil and having 20k+ Brazillians rooting for him to die
- concentrating on becoming his best self currently, trusts in coachs' ability to come up with good gameplan vs Oliveira

I think Conor is tougher match up for Oliveira. I mean, all these fights are in the same mould of Chandler/Poirier fights, but I think Conor's reach and I think Conor's better finisher than all three, and best one-punch accuracy/precision with power, AND best counter striker, as Oliveira comes forward.

Yes Conor's completely washed up, and yes he doesn't deserve a title shot, but I think if I'm Conor, I'd take a pay cut to make this fight happen. Win would give him a lot more money than the pay cut he'd take no matter how much.

I don't think Gaetheje deserves a title shot anyways. If you are going by who really deserves it, it's the winner of Islam/Dariush. Not Justin.

Why do people think the fight with him and Chandler was some spectacular fight? I'm not saying it sucked, the first round was great. But Gaethje was in complete control from the end of the first until the end of the fight. He dominated the 2nd and 3rd rounds as Chandler is nothing more than a glass cannon in the UFC. He goes for the home-run early and if he doesn't hit it, he's useless. Gaethje obviously deserves the title shot, but Dana has already made it clear that Conor will get the title shot in his return. It's just about what sells at the end of the day and Conor always sells.

I agree with the Chandler fight
It was definitely a show, but after the first round you just felt bad for Chandler
It was a one sided beating, not the slugfest that everyone makes it out to be

It def wasn't no lawler vs rory

It was a slobber knocker. People love thier slob dogs. It was entertaining compared to the baddest men lay n pray session on Saturday. Not knocking either fight. I was still entertained but thier are levels to violence.

conor is irrelevant when he's a threat to his title shot but i'd like to see if he'll feel the same if he win the title, he'll be campaigning for his red panty night like all the others

I thought it lived up to expectations, but I personally didn't pick it as my FOTY.
I picked Yan/Sandhagen, with Volk/Ortega and Reyes/Jiri right next to it. For me it's a toss up with those 3.

Just give Conor the title shot so we can witness Justin's meltdown please.

Conor is absolutely irrelevant at this point. He's not selling a million PPV's anymore after getting demolished in his last 2 fights, and that's literally the only reason to put him up against anyone in the top of the division at this point.

Conor is absolutely irrelevant at this point. He's not selling a million PPV's anymore after getting demolished in his last 2 fights, and that's literally the only reason to put him up against anyone in the top of the division at this point.

He's easily selling 1 mio, as his latest loss can be excused as being due to an unlucky leg break, at least to the casuals, and the casuals are the ones who gets a card to 1 mio buys.

He’s irrelevant ranking wise, but he’ll definitely sell another million+ PPVs my guy.

Apart from the guillotine mistake he was very game in the third Poirier fight and casuals will cling to the leg break as an excuse to why he lost. They’ll buy that PPV no problem.

I thought it lived up to expectations, but I personally didn't pick it as my FOTY.
I picked Yan/Sandhagen, with Volk/Ortega and Reyes/Jiri right next to it. For me it's a toss up with those 3.

Volk/Ortega blew Gaethje/Chandler out of the water on every level imaginable. That’s the definition of a great fight.

Conor transcends mma, how little self awareness does Justin have.

He also talk like he's undisputed number 1 contender and no one else deserves the shot, Gaethje you are on a 1 fight win streak, Islam will be on a 10 fight win streak in a couple weeks.

Connor is irrelevant these days. Doubt he even sells 1m ppv unless hes matched up with someone like diaz or kkhabib

Back