Can Antonina Shevchenko turn it around against Casey O'Neal?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So the sister of Valentina is fighting in a couple weeks against Casey O'Neal.

Casey O'neal does have two wins in a row inside the UFC, but none of her opponents are in the UFC any longer.

Casey O'Neal did look pretty good in her last two fights, but she's pretty wild on the feet, and Antonina could probably easily pick her apart if it stays standing.

Antonina didn't look that great defending TDs against Andrea, but Andrea is a real deal in my opinion so hard to say if Casey can do same thing to Antonina. Casey O'Neal did go for 4/6 in takedowns in her first fight, but it was against world class Shana Dobson. In her second fight, she got taken down twice and was 1/2 in her TD attempts.

I think both comes to fight, so I think it'd be pretty interesting match up. They are not bad looking at all as well if you ask me.

17015938_1350601081665629_3196759229728543832_o.jpg

Meh… doesn’t look good for the lesser Shevchenko. I don’t see how she keeps this standing— I generally don’t think she has enough strength to fend against Casey even if she had the technique—- and once it’s hits the floor Casey will drown her. I expect a finish in all honestly.

It’s crazy to think that Antonina was once an undefeated prospect with all sorts of hype.

Meh… doesn’t look good for the lesser Shevchenko. I don’t see how she keeps this standing— I generally don’t think she has enough strength to fend against Casey even if she had the technique—- and once it’s hits the floor Casey will drown her. I expect a finish in all honestly.

It’s crazy to think that Antonina was once an undefeated prospect with all sorts of hype.

Maybe, but Shev is WAY better on the feet, and she's not without submission threat off her back. Casey isn't too experienced and she's wild, I can see her getting wreckless and get caught by something.

I do lean Casey, but I wouldn't entirely count Shev out. Casey isn't a wrestler by any means and Shev is way better striker.

I'm pretty high on Casey O'Neill. I think she has the right attitude and will be a fun fighter to watch develop. Antojina has been something of a disappointment but this could be competitive. I'm mostly just hoping for a fun fight.

Shevenko is so bad, her striking is mediocre and Casey will just drag her to the ground.

Yeah if she can't tho, that mediocre striking gonna look like Samart against I block punches with my face Casey though.

I do think Casey will be able to, but you know, who knows?

Casey may have a bright future, but Andrea Lee is way better than her at this point in their careers.

I'm pretty high on Casey O'Neill. I think she has the right attitude and will be a fun fighter to watch develop. Antojina has been something of a disappointment but this could be competitive. I'm mostly just hoping for a fun fight.

She looks promising. This is a step up fight for her, so will have to see, but def looks good so far.

She's a bit wild though, I do think Shev can pick her apart if she can keep it standing and make it easy.

Casey has pretty predictable TDs too, and I'm sure Shev drilled TD defense for this fight.

I have Casey, but I don't think it's a lock by any mean like people on this thread is making this out to be.

Because if Casey can't take Shev down and KEEP her down there, I think Shev can put a striking clinic on her.

We will see, but def looked good so far

i don't have a whole lot to add to the outcome predictions but holy shit, i can't imagine a more demoralizing position than being the dominant champ's, sometimes winning sometimes losing sister. On the plus side, she's probably insulated from being cut just by relation.

FOTN contender. I think Casey has enough talent to get the job done.

She has Alistair Overeem syndrome meaning her striking does not work in a mma fight when her opponents try to brawl.

Her striking has not carried across to MMA with the threat of the takedown at all. I think she just seems to lack power and get bullied all the time as people don't respect her and want to get her down. Not sure if she used the clinch a lot in muay thai, but she always seems to get there and then get dominated by people.

Her striking has not carried across to MMA with the threat of the takedown at all. I think she just seems to lack power and get bullied all the time as people don't respect her and want to get her down. Not sure if she used the clinch a lot in muay thai, but she always seems to get there and then get dominated by people.

/Thread

I still have some small hope for Antonia but think I'll back Casey here.

/Thread

I still have some small hope for Antonia but think I'll back Casey here.

It's unfortunate. She just gets bullied out there in every fight. Casey is probably her nightmare match up at that level in the division.

Might as well reiterate what I said before.

Good prospect vs. journeyman/gatekeeper bout. Slight step up in competition for Casey against a woman who is a frankly unremarkable talent at Flyweight (especially compared to her sister), but is at least well-rounded and experienced enough that she's guaranteed to be able to either:

A.) Expose O'Neill as an overrated can-crusher who got fed a bunch handpicked fighters of questionable quality in a promotion run by her own father following a very hit-and-miss amateur career.
B.) Show that she's actually pretty legit and has grown over the course of her career with each fight -- something she has shown glimpses of (getting finished in her first two ammy fights before going on a finishing streak of her own, turning pro, leaving Daddy's Eternal MMA promotion to fight legitimate competition in UAE Warriors and scoring a finish there before finally being signed by the UFC and keeping her finish streak alive in the big leagues, etc.)

I would not be surprised by either outcome, but at this point I'm siding with O'Neill. I feel like she has a bit of upside to her and has improved incrementally as she's come along. Enough to at least get over this hump.

I should pick Casey here...but Lil Schev has grown a lot in her last few fights, IMO. If she continues to improve at the same pace (during this camp), i think she'll at least make it competitive.

Jarl

Why does Casey sound kinda irish-y when she is from Scotland and Australia.. weird lol. I just listened to her MMA Hour interview.

Back