Nate Diaz Was a Waste of Leon Edwards's Life and Career

kuroro

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's hard to think of a worse opponent than Nate Diaz for a ranked fighter trying to win a title; beating him means nothing, and yet he's still a dangerous striker with almost unlimited cardio. And to make it even more egregious, five rounds! Five rounds for a meaningless exhibition--an obvious gift to this cardio machine to pull some bullcrap in the last two rounds. It's like the whole situation was orchestrated to potentially assassinate Edwards' run at the title. They forced him to roll the dice on his entire career without getting anything in return. And before Nate, they were trying to make him fight Chimaev, another dangerous unranked nobody.

The truth became obvious when Edwards brutally mauled Diaz for four rounds, then took one hard punch in the 5th (which he was winning up to that point too.) Edwards' stock dropped and Diaz's stock went up. Edwards' reward? A ud on his resume against a 37 year old whose last win against a top 15 opponent was probably around ten years ago (remember, he beat Conor at ww.)

No top 3 contender should be forced to fight an unranked fighter. Dana White treats the elite like they're disposable in favor of low price bums like Mike Perry who have guaranteed slug fests. This is pretty much why MMA is still not a sport.

UFC was trying to give Edwards a push because he had next to 0 name recognition, hence why a lot of top guys didn’t want to fight him. I agree the fight was ridiculous though and they should have put him against Colby/Mas.

It was quite possibly the best fight for the fans and the UFC though. Point fighters constantly get pushed into title contention for simply skating by and winning fights, they may or may not become champ and next thing you know they’re constantly getting finished by the new batch of young guys coming in. In Leon’s case the UFC got to determine whether or not he’s capable of finishing a beatable older opponent and how he’d fair against Usman. Edwards was a few seconds away of losing everything he worked so hard for, he really needs to learn how to finish fights if he wants to convince the fans and the organization that he’s champion material. That said I think he deserves a title shot because of his winning streak but if he were to not receive one based on his performance against Nate I would not have argue against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what you are saying is ... Nate is too dangerous of a fighter to fight against.

Gotcha.
My point is he's unranked in the top 15, dumbass. lmao.

(my mistake, he's literally #15, wow. somehow i find it hard to believe ww mma is this shallow.)

Good guy Nate actually looked up at the whole roster and said he's gonna give this guy a money fight coz nobody is giving him that much attention and credit despite "doing the right things like GSP". Yep, those were Nate's words.
Nate’s real life humility contradicts the narrative on sherdog that he’s some wannabe gangster who ducks bad stylistic matchups.

It was a big name and, practically, gimme fight meant for Edwards to shine. He still got rocked and was saved by the bell.

It's hard to think of a worse opponent than Nate Diaz for a ranked fighter trying to win a title; beating him means nothing, and yet he's still a dangerous striker with almost unlimited cardio. And to make it even more egregious, five rounds! Five rounds for a meaningless exhibition--an obvious gift to this cardio machine to pull some bullcrap in the last two rounds. It's like the whole situation was orchestrated to potentially assassinate Edwards' run at the title. They forced him to roll the dice on his entire career without getting anything in return. And before Nate, they were trying to make him fight Chimaev, another dangerous unranked nobody.

The truth became obvious when Edwards brutally mauled Diaz for four rounds, then took one hard punch in the 5th (which he was winning up to that point too.) Edwards' stock dropped and Diaz's stock went up. Edwards' reward? A ud on his resume against a 37 year old whose last win against a top 15 opponent was probably around ten years ago (remember, he beat Conor at ww.)

No top 3 contender should be forced to fight an unranked fighter. Dana White treats the elite like they're disposable in favor of low price bums like Mike Perry who have guaranteed slug fests. This is pretty much why MMA is still not a sport.
If Leon beats up Nate in that 5th round, he gets the title shot and all of Nate's hype/fans and breaks into being a possible contender for the coveted BMF title. Most people don't even get talked about as possible BMF title contenders but Leon had his chance. Think of it like this, what are your chances that Bill Gates taps you on the shoulder and invites you to one of his secret meetings?........
upload_2021-7-26_9-53-7.jpeg

It was quite possibly the best fight for the fans and the UFC though. Point fighters constantly get pushed into title contention for simply skating by and winning fights, they may or may not become champ and next thing you n is they’re constantly getting finished by the new batch of young guys coming in. In Leon’s case the UFC got to determine whether or not he’s capable of finishing a beatable older opponent and how he’d fair against Usman. Edwards was a few seconds away of losing everything he worked so hard for, he really needs to learn how to finish fights if he wants to convince the fans and the organization that he’s champion material. That said I think he deserves a title shot because of his winning streak but if he were to not receive one based on his performance against Nate I would not have argue against it.
that's what everyone says, and this is why I call it sabotage. they put him in a five round fight against a nobody who's legendary for two things: unlimited cardio and being impossible to KO (his only real TKO stoppage came eating a massive head kick and ground and pound, and he still wasn't out.) the standard Leon Edwards was expected to meet for this fight was unreasonable. a decision win (even though it was an absolute mauling) was a loss for Edwards. KO'ing Diaz would've been just breaking even (they'd just call Diaz old and say he has too much mileage.) And a loss to Diaz would have destroyed his chances at a title shot, and totally altered the trajectory of his career.

It was probably the best thing to happen to Edwards. But ok. Outside of the Nate fight not a single casual would know who he is. Fuck before Nate the only thing I remember him for is Masvidal lighting him up backstage and a reference to KFC. I couldn't tell you who he fought before Mas/KFC without Google. Nate literally put him on the map.

The best part about this is no one is going to realize the fight was close after a year or so, so it's still a win for Leon. The only ones who will remember is the irrelevant retards who still say Diaz 1,2,5 because they're salty manchildren who no one takes seriously.

that's what everyone says, and this is why I call it sabotage. they put him in a five round fight against a nobody who's legendary for two things: unlimited cardio and being impossible to KO (his only real TKO stoppage came eating a massive head kick and ground and pound, and he still wasn't out.) the standard Leon Edwards was expected to meet for this fight was unreasonable. a decision win (even though it was an absolute mauling) was a loss for Edwards. KO'ing Diaz would've been just breaking even (they'd just call Diaz old and say he has too much mileage.) And a loss to Diaz would have destroyed his chances at a title shot, and totally altered the trajectory of his career.
A nobody? Haha 2020 account. Makes sense.

Nate’s real life humility contradicts the narrative on sherdog that he’s some wannabe gangster who ducks bad stylistic matchups.
what's to duck? why would a rank 15 fighter avoid a high paying match against the second best ww in the world?

A nobody? Haha 2020 account. Makes sense.
holy fuck i'm not talking about legacy. don frye is not a nobody in mma history, but he is a nobody in mma RIGHT NOW. diaz is one step from retirement barely hanging as 15th ranked ww. that makes him a nobody to the top 3 title contenders.

The best part about this is no one is going to realize the fight was close after a year or so, so it's still a win for Leon. The only ones who will remember is the irrelevant retards who still say Diaz 1,2,5 because they're salty manchildren who no one takes seriously.
Diaz fan checking in. He won the 5th and that's it. But he was closer to finishing it than Edwards ever was.

Back