News Sandehagen “accepts” loss

do a moniker

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/7/...n-accepts-loss-tj-dillashaw-hurt-him-mma-news

Cliffs:
- still thinks he did enough to win, had him hurt, was never hurt, etc

- says he won’t whine about the scorecards

- seems to have learned that he can’t coast in round 5 like that again. Thought he was up and did enough to win.

- will use the experience to get better

if he truly uses this to get better than honestly it may be a blessing in disguise. I also think he handled it about 80% as well as he could because he clearly still thinks he won (which is understandable) and he won’t let that go. But he will take a new approach in close fights. He’s young so good on him. I think this will only be a good thing in the long run for his career

By your cliffs it seems that he at least understand why some judges got the fight for TJ, wich is insane. Lol, very humble guy

Sucks, cause I love sandhagen because he's authentic and a very relatable guy to me, he sounded depressed during the interview after the fight which I can totally understand because he knows he shouldve won the fight but at least he's being classy about it.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/7/...n-accepts-loss-tj-dillashaw-hurt-him-mma-news

Cliffs:
- still thinks he did enough to win, had him hurt, was never hurt, etc

- says he won’t whine about the scorecards

- seems to have learned that he can’t coast in round 5 like that again. Thought he was up and did enough to win.

- will use the experience to get better

if he truly uses this to get better than honestly it may be a blessing in disguise. I also think he handled it about 80% as well as he could because he clearly still thinks he won (which is understandable) and he won’t let that go. But he will take a new approach in close fights. He’s young so good on him. I think this will only be a good thing in the long run for his career
He’s like Dustin in that it seems like losses have a positive effect on his preparation.

People hate TJ so much they won't acknowledge he was the better fighter
He got the shit kicked out of him. You could say he was the better competitor, but that is because Sandhagen is the better fighter and TJ still managed to stay in it make it close enough for 2 judges to give him the nod despite getting concussed, cut open and having his knee popped.

TJ was not the better fighter....he missed like 80% of his punches.....ya he had some holds/take downs but he didnt do shit with it.....he shouldnt have won this fight..
Maybe. But the point is Cory seems to have learned the “rules” of judging and hopefully he won’t be in a similar position again. And I’m not speaking to whether I think the rules are fair or not, just that if you can avoid letting the judges award late surges and activity, then it’s better for you. It’s a bit like the old saying “you have to beat the champ, to beat the champ.” I HATE that mantra. But if you know that’s the rules of the game, then it helps a bit in how you fight

I thought he won handedly. Some of these 4-1 TJ scorecards I've seen from people have me floored.

Dillashaw got his ass kicked.

The only way Sandhagen could win that fight is if giving up his back, and being held against the cage means nothing to you.

Id say Corey won the stand up 60/40 but was never in the center of the octagon, gave up his back numerous times every round and was constantly being held against the cage absorbing leg strikes which obviously took a toll in the later rounds.

Those three things caused him to lose rounds. Even though his striking offense was moderately better you cant let a guy a guy control you as much as TJ did and expect to win the round. Only clear cut round Sandhagen won was the 2nd (which was the most decisive in the fight) I thought TJ won the other 4 rounds by a much closer margin and he has no one to blame but himself for his poor IQ and decision making.

Sandhagen's big error was somehow being under the impression that turning his back when Dillashaw shot in and grabbed a hold of him constituted a neutral position.

He thought that preventing a takedown meant he had prevented Dillashaw from scoring points. However, Dillashaw was still controlling him in that position. The big problem about it for Sandhagen was he couldn't strike Dillashaw from that position, but Dillashaw could strike him, which he did with knees. Therefore, it is not a neutral position.

It is really strange that Sandhagen didn't pick up on that after the first or second time. Instead, he mindlessly kept turning his back and allowing it happen round after round.

He got the shit kicked out of him. You could say he was the better competitor, but that is because Sandhagen is the better fighter and TJ still managed to stay in it make it close enough for 2 judges to give him the nod despite getting concussed, cut open and having his knee popped.

Yeah, TJ really looked like the less dominant fighter in that fight. He hugged him against the cage a lot, but never really did damage/landed strikes other than leg kicks.

The only way Sandhagen could win that fight is if giving up his back, and being held against the cage means nothing to you.

Id say Corey won the stand up 60/40 but was never in the center of the octagon, gave up his back numerous times every round and was constantly being held against the cage absorbing leg strikes which obviously took a toll in the later rounds.

Those three things caused him to lose rounds. Even though his striking offense was moderately better you cant let a guy a guy control you as much as TJ did and expect to win the round. Only clear cut round Sandhagen won was the 2nd (which was the most decisive in the fight) I thought TJ won the other 4 rounds by a much closer margin and he has no one to blame but himself for his poor IQ and decision making.

So being held against the cage, without any damage being done is more important to you than everything else?

Sandhagen's big error was somehow being under the impression that turning his back when Dillashaw shot in and grabbed a hold of him constituted a neutral position.

He thought that preventing a takedown meant he had prevented Dillashaw from scoring points. However, Dillashaw was still controlling him in that position. The big problem about it for Sandhagen was he couldn't strike Dillashaw from that position, but Dillashaw could strike him, which he did with knees. Therefore, it is not a neutral position.

It is really strange that Sandhagen didn't pick up on that after the first or second time. Instead, he mindlessly kept turning his back and allowing it happen round after round.

fair enough

Says he won't whine about the decision then lists all the reasons he thought he won.

I mean you can dominate a round as much as you want but you will always have robbery decisions like Maverick-Barber, or Macdonald-Tibau a few weeks ago too. It's a small risk whenever a fight goes to a decision and it's not flat out 10-8 domination, so you can be as active as you want, there's still a chance you'll get an insane slew of judges or judges that don't know what they're doing or even watch half the round.

It's what you get with inept athletic commissions, and the Nevada one, for all its shortcomings, is still the most preeminent one and at least somewhat competent compared to other states.

People hate TJ so much they won't acknowledge he was the better fighter
In a fight that's razor close and could easily have been 3-2 to Sandhagen on all scorecards instead I don't think you can say TJ was conclusively the better fighter.

Yeah, TJ really looked like the less dominant fighter in that fight. He hugged him against the cage a lot, but never really did damage/landed strikes other than leg kicks.

So being held against the cage, without any damage being done is more important to you than everything else?

fair enough

Keeping someone where they dont want to be is very important. Especially since the stand up was fairly competitive in rounds 1 3 4 5 and Sandhagen gives up his back constantly. Where TJ had Sandhagen most of the fight was where you train not to be.

I just watched the first 3 rounds again to see if my opinion has changed since ppl seem to be up in arms and it was clear 1 and 3 for TJ and the striking in those rounds was close.

Back