Rumored Is time is ticking for Wonderman Thompson?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Stephen Thompson is 38 going on 39 by the time the Usman vs Colby fight happens.

Thompson has a nice stylistic match up in front of him in the stumbling and bumbling Gilbert Burns.

I’d like to see Wonderbread get his shot while he’s still under 40 as he’s got an interesting style and has really good footwork to avoid his back against the cage against the winner of the two D1 wrestlers.

“A new challenger has appeared!!”
uEMmi7c.gif

People are underestimating Burns in this next fight. I think Stephen is gonna win, but father time doesn't wait for anyone.
He looked good his last fight, the only thing that has been showing he's getting older is that he's a lot more injury prone than before.

His style requires a lot on his speed/reflexes. His chin is good, but he gets clipped hard when he gets hit because of his hands being low.
That stuff usually goes first.

Wonder v cheeda at a catch weight in karate combat, if he wants to continue competing in some manner

he maybe deserves another shot BUT at the same time I'd be ok if not.
He was in two of the most boring fights, one a title fight - against TWood and then against Till (to get him another title fight)
In either fight a little aggression and Wonderboy wins. So idk. He lacks killer-fuck-it-let's-get-it instinct. He's one of the best technical fighters but doesn't seem to have the nastiness needed when necessary.

He wont be a champ other than that time is ticking for everybody including you

he maybe deserves another shot BUT at the same time I'd be ok if not.
He was in two of the most boring fights, one a title fight - against TWood and then against Till (to get him another title fight)
In either fight a little aggression and Wonderboy wins. So idk. He lacks killer-fuck-it-let's-get-it instinct. He's one of the best technical fighters but doesn't seem to have the nastiness needed when necessary.
I agree with that those 2 fights were boring.
That being said Woodley and Till also have very low outpoint majority of the time. The style matchups in those fights were bound to produce a boring 25 minutes.
People like Usman, Colby and Burns will push Wonderboy with their striking and wrestling offense. Those will probably be entertaining fights.

Last edited:
I like his chances against Usman. Gilbert might be a tougher matchups stylistically for the person who got KOed dead by Pettis. Gilbert might not be a real deal but he catches you and he caught Usman.

One of my favorites to watch, but he does need a finish.

to willing to accept a decision.

He unfortunately couldn’t win against the very top in his prime. Feed him to Nick Diaz.

Who cares about his age, he has a good chance of become champion if he still perform like he performed in his last fights.

And I don't remember him being taken down and held down by a wrestler except the first round of the first Woodley fight.

I wonder if Burns has woken up from the jab yet?

It’s impossible for him to still be in his prime
The thing is, especially with high IQ fighters, your body deteriorate but your skills get better.

Perfect exemple is Kevin Durant in the nba. He's older, got a lot of injuries that impacted his body but his smarts and knowledge of the game compensate for his body not being at top form anymore.

Sorry for the bball analogy. I love bball.

<Durant35>

I think it’s over for him. Sadly. You rely on speed instead of power and things unravel quick.

No doubt

I think most of us are hoping he can get one more title shot and make a final statement on his legacy.

He’s got one more masterclass in him, so hopefully he can use that to catapult himself to a title shot. It’s a shame that Colby has been so inactive and yet still gets rewarded by the UFC.

Book Leon vs Usman, it’s an exciting and very interesting rematch. Leon had some adversity last fight, but who wouldn’t on a win streak like his.

Then book Wonderboy vs Colby, one more run for Wonderboy, and Colby gets another potential win to actually properly build up the story for his rematch with usman.

Yeah, it's already over for him. His time came when he fought Woodley. I'm sure he'll get another title shot sooner or later but his peak is long gone

Back