Rank Korean Zombie among Greatest Asian fighters of all time

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Been a fan since before he got to the UFC. He did have a little bit of speedbumps along the way like getting ktfo by George Roop I think it was, but he had a pretty good career. I'm just curious where people would place him amongst the greatest asian fighters of all time.

So, rank Korean Zombie among greatest Asian fighters of all time! Here's mine.

1. Sakuraba - No explanation needed
2. Gomi - Former number 1 pound for pound with Fedor in 2005, beat Sakurai
3. Sakurai - Former number 1 WW in the world, fought Hughes AND Anderson
4. Kid Yamamoto - Rip
5. Horiguchi - Arguably the second best Flyweight in the history of that division
6. Okami
7. DHK
8. Aoki
9. Zombie
10. Akiyama

Honorable mention: Fujita, Kawajiri, Ishida, Kitaoka, Caol Uno, Yoshida, Misaki, Nakamura, Minowa, Sanae, Tamura, Kondo, Kanehara, Dong, etc

Special shout out to the Kosplay k-1 fighter for knocking out Aoki as well. In my opinion, the single greatest upset of all combat history.

Been a fan since before he got to the UFC. He did have a little bit of speedbumps along the way like getting ktfo by George Roop I think it was, but he had a pretty good career. I'm just curious where people would place him amongst the greatest asian fighters of all time.

4. Kid Yamamoto - Rip
5. Horiguchi - Arguably the second best Flyweight in the history of that division
6. Okami
7. DHK
8. Aoki
9. Zombie
10. Akiyama

Honorable mention: Fujita, Kawajiri, Ishida, Kitaoka, Caol Uno, Yoshida, Misaki, Nakamura, Minowa, Sanae, Tamura, Kondo, Kanehara, Dong, etc

Special shout out to the Kosplay k-1 fighter for knocking out Aoki as well. In my opinion, the single greatest upset of all combat history.

I'd rank Zombie just behind Horiguchi in your list.

Not sure if Okami and DHK make the top10 - I'd rank Kawa and Uno slightly above them - but Akiyama definitely does not. I'd rank most guys you place in honorable mention above Akiyama as well.

Aoki should be higher too, by every measure: highest rank, nº of top ranked wins, finishes and longevity. Arguably even top5 in that list.

In case we consider WMMA, I guess Zhang and Mega Megu have a case

I'd rank Zombie just behind Horiguchi in your list.

Not sure if Okami and DHK make the top10 - I'd rank Kawa and Uno slightly above them - but Akiyama definitely does not. I'd rank most guys you place in honorable mention above Akiyama as well.

Aoki should be higher too, by every measure: highest rank, nº of top ranked wins, finishes and longevity. Arguably even top5 in that list.

In case we consider WMMA, I guess Zhang and Mega Megu have a case

Yeah let's not go there with WMMA. Imagine comparing MJ with some random good WNBA player. God I don't know why people do this so fucking stupid.

I can see what you are saying about Akiyama. I guess you do have a point. Akiyama became such a star, feel good story, a meme, and all that, but yeah I guess purely competition wise, perhaps

4. Kid Yamamoto - Rip
6. Okami
7. DHK
8. Aoki
9. Zombie
10. Akiyama

1. Saku
2. Gomi
3. Zombie
4. Horiguchi
5. Kid
6. Sakurai
7. Aoki
8. Okami
9. Fujita
10. DHK
These are great lists.

Asian as in Japanese/ a short plane flight from Japan or on the continent of Asia? I assume the former. Either way this is brilliant. I stopped being in the know at a certain point... forgive

1.) Saku
2.) Okami
3.) Gomi
4.) Rumina Sato (has to be in top 5)
5.) Sakurai
6.) Kid (6-10 are semi interchangeable)
7.) Aoki
8.) Zombie
9.) Akiyama
10.) Yoshida

These are great lists.

Asian as in Japanese/ a short plane flight from Japan or on the continent of Asia? I assume the former. Either way this is brilliant. I stopped being in the know at a certain point... forgive

1.) Saku
2.) Okami
3.) Gomi
5.) Sakurai
7.) Aoki
8.) Zombie
9.) Akiyama
10.) Yoshida

Sato is a legend. To be honest, Sato's peak was pre - 2000 and I wasn't around back then and I don't know, I have hard time placing him. But also, I kinda forgot about him lol.

It's hard to place that guy.

These are great lists.

1.) Saku
2.) Okami
3.) Gomi
5.) Sakurai
7.) Aoki
8.) Zombie
9.) Akiyama
10.) Yoshida

Where is Horiguchi?

Caol Uno KOed Rumina Sato twice in his prime, to earn the Shooto LW belt at the time. Reason why he was brought to compete for the inuaugural UFC LW championship, which Uno arguably won in a very close decision vs Jens Pulver. Then went to a draw with no other than BJ Penn in another shot fot the UFC LW belt....being the Asian fighter who ever got closer to touch gold in UFC (apart from Zhang)

...I understand Akiyama is a handsome man and all that but he has no case whatsoever to be ranked above this guy, especially if you give Rumina Sato so much credit as you do.

Sato is a legend. To be honest, Sato's peak was pre - 2000 and I wasn't around back then and I don't know, I have hard time placing him. But also, I kinda forgot about him lol.

It's hard to place that guy.
I've watched what I can find but just what he represents for the time is so huge, also why I have Okami ranked so high being the biggest profile Japanese fighter in the UFC. I don't know if any of us are failing...Genki Sudo. Really captured the feel of his society.
Now to place Zhang or not. I've got to think about some things.

I've watched what I can find but just what he represents for the time is so huge, also why I have Okami ranked so high being the biggest profile Japanese fighter in the UFC. I don't know if any of us are failing...Genki Sudo. Really captured the feel of his society.
Now to place Zhang or not. I've got to think about some things.

HOly shiiittttt GENKI oh yeah

but he's prob outside top 10 tho haha

yeah no WMMA here. GOt no time for that.

Damn I hespect biased love. I think he's more likely to be 11th than 1st, but yeah it is what it is.

If you're just talking titles then, yeah?...

KZ has beat former champions, first Korean fighter to fight for the UFC title. First twister submission in UFC history. Smashed Poirier and beat him with his own submission. One of the fastest KO's in UFC history. Fight of the decade vs. Garcia in WEC. His post-fight bonus's are stacked.

I don't know my man, what he's achieved in the biggest MMA organization going, and still wrecking fools, without earning a belt (yet) puts him in my top 3.

Where is Horiguchi?

Caol Uno KOed Rumina Sato twice in his prime, to earn the Shooto LW belt at the time. Reason why he was brought to compete for the inuaugural UFC LW championship, which Uno arguably won in a very close decision vs Jens Pulver. Then went to a draw with no other than BJ Penn in another shot fot the UFC LW belt....being the Asian fighter who ever got closer to UFC gold (apart from Zhang)...lol at Akiyama above this guy, especially if you give Rumina Sato so much credit as you do.
Horiguchi is probably my '11th' alternate is no less than 6-10. Caol Uno is really good too. I was going heavily with what seemed like higher profile plus impact on mma/their society. Honestly I need to mention Hideo Tokoro winning after the earthquake that happened to Japan. 10 is a difficult list and you're not wrong.

If you're just talking titles then, yeah?...

KZ has beat former champions, first Korean fighter to fight for the UFC title. First twister submission in UFC history. Smashed Poirier and beat him with his own submission. One of the fastest KO's in UFC history. Fight of the decade vs. Garcia in WEC. His post-fight bonus's are stacked.

I don't know my man, what he's achieved in the biggest MMA organization going, and still wrecking fools, without earning a belt (yet) puts him in my top 3.

Meh. He got finished by Roop. Poirier was hella green. Edgar was completely washed up. He got title shots, but he lost and getting titleshot doesn't mean you are great. Fight against Garcia was fun but skill in it doesn't even remotely come close to elite. Twister is fun, but Gogo by Nick was even greater doens't make Nick the goat WW, not to mention he got beat up by Ortega not that long ago, finished by Yair not that long ago.

At the end of the day I like Zombie so don't wanna sound like I'm shitting on the guy, but he has been inactive for a long time and his best wins are Poirier and Edgar. No one in their right mind would think Zombie fought them a their peak, far far from it. And those wins doesn't make him great.

Saku
Gomi
Sakurai
Kid
Horiguchi
Okami - got title shot too
DHK

all better.

Aoki debatable but I think so

He's def one of the most exciting asian fighters ever, but as far as the best, not even top 10. Who did he beat? Everytime he faced a top 3 guy he lost.

1. Saku
2. Gomi
3. Kid
4. Aoki
5. Horiguchi
6. Okami
7. Sudo
8. Mach
9. Kawajiri / KZ
10. Uno /Rumina

HM: DHK, Misaki, Yoshida, Kai Asakura, Kitaoka,Ishiwatari, Ougikubo, Wakamatsu.

Back