Media Korean Zombie v. Dustin Poirier is one of the best showcases of MMA ever

Minnja

Touch-Butt white belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just reminding people of how amazing that fight was. Not only was it an entertaining war, but it really highlights the beauty of MMA. This fight took place many years ago and it was pre-ATT Poirier but still back then he was very good everywhere and same with KZ.

Awesome sequence where KZ has Poirier a little hurt and goes in with a flying knee and clinch strikes, then Poirier goes for a takedown to avoid taking more shots but then KZ uses butterfly hooks to reverse Poirier into mount. Muay thai, boxing, wrestling and BJJ all in one sequence.

0.gif

5hinCYF.gif

Poirier had moments in the fight too, iirc he won round 3 by connecting a lot of crosses. He also defended a lot of submission attempts in the earlier part of the fight. No idea why they haven't uploaded the fight for free on YouTube yet but definitely worth a watch/rewatch if you can.

This fight was great. KZ was the dog too in this fight, awesome to see him rise to the occasion.

23 year old Dustin was emotional after this fight, but it only made him better. Gotta admire his class and determination at this young age.

This fight was great. KZ was the dog too in this fight, awesome to see him rise to the occasion.

I believe KZ was the underdog against Hominick, Bermudez, Moicano and Edgar too. Pretty much all his biggest wins came off of upsets lol. I believe he was the favorite against Roop, Ortega and maybe Yair too... seems like he performs better when he's the underdog haha.

23 year old Dustin was emotional after this fight, but it only made him better. Gotta admire his class and determination at this young age.

Yup, I remember him saying something like "I deserved to win" and I remember at the time I was kind of annoyed by that but then later I understood that he really put all his heart into the fight game that it wasn't meant to be disrespect to KZ but more about how much Poirier has worked and how much it meant to him. Poirier has been one of my favorite fighters since that fight too and I like that he and KZ are on good terms. Would be awesome if they were training partners.

Reactions: Gio
I saw that fight live. It was even better in person. Videos and gifs don't do it justice.

That's awesome man, I bet it was amazing! KZ has been fighting for a long time and I think I'm actually going to put effort into attending his next fight live whereever it is. Hopefully it will be somewhere nice and can have a little vacation in the area too.

never understand everyones love for KZ

What is there to dislike? He's pretty decent in all aspects of MMA, he's scrappy and keeps coming forward, he's a decent dude. Dude was on a run to before the military service...
He hit the twister on Garcia
In this fight he beat Poirier with basically Poirier's signature move at the time
Starched Hominick in 7 seconds
Then got the Aldo fight and was looking like he was turning the tide against Aldo before the shoulder came out of socket

Then he was gone for years, came back and starched Bermudez..was beating Yair until that miracle elbow in the final seconds...starched Carneiro and Edgar back to back and then got beat the hell up by Ortega in his first bad fight since what? He got knocked out by Roop in 2010?

KZ places Dustin as his favorite fighter I think. He man crushes Poirier whenever given the chance He just loves the way Dustin fights and he's a fan for sure

says they bump into eachother often and always very cordial and jokey with eachother Borderline friends apparently

hates taking pictures with Dustin because he think he's the best looking dude in the promotion and because his own head seems large compared to DP's

says he's torn because he for whatever reason wants to rematch Dustin but is also deathly afraid he'd get his ass kicked on the next go around Though he played with the idea of going up in weight, KZ says only two guys really get him juiced to move up....Dustin and Conor

Back