When Fighters Get too old to wrestle?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dan Henderson stopped Wrestling in the latter half of his career.

Yoel Romero doesn’t Wrestle. Even though he can. He just stands and bangs for most fights.

Jon Jones hasn’t wrestled very well for a couple years and he isn’t even old.

The only Older guy who I can name who wrestles is DC

images

Well D. Maia (43 yrs) just fought Belal and Maia tried to wrestle Belal as much as possible but failed.
Stipe tried to wrestle Ngannou again but failed.
Jones tried to wrestle Reyes, but couldn't keep him down on rare occasions when he did take Reyes down.
So it's not like most fighters stop with wrestling, it's just not effective for them anymore.

DC couldn’t wrestle Stipe well in the last two fights and Francis out wrestled Stipe with what at best is a handful of years wrestling training only. DC also got taken down by Gus lol his wrestling got worse with age like everyone else.

If wrestling is hard on your body, it's time to quit. Nothing worse than a wrestler who doesn't use their wrestling. Fucking hate that shit.

Dan Henderson stopped Wrestling in the latter half of his career.

Yoel Romero doesn’t Wrestle. Even though he can. He just stands and bangs for most fights.

Jon Jones hasn’t wrestled very well for a couple years and he isn’t even old.

The only Older guy who I can name who wrestles is DC

images
DC literally admitted he got outwrestled with double underhooks, in the trilogy fight with Stipe. And only took Stipe down once in the second fight. Imo, not the best example to use because DC is the epitome of a guy too old to no longer wrestle. I have to mark this thread and OP down as a failure.

DC literally admitted he got outwrestled with double underhooks, in the trilogy fight with Stipe. And only took Stipe down once in the second fight. Imo, not the best example to use because DC is the epitome of a guy too old to no longer wrestle. I have to mark this thread and OP down as a failure.

That just makes my initial premise stronger?

That just makes my initial premise stronger?
I guess?? But why bring a big picture of DC into the thing and thereby making it appear as if he’s the exception to the rule?

The actual problem as I see it is that these guys fall in love with their hands. Wrestling at an elite level takes a lot of physical strength. So these guys all have power for their respective weights. But, getting a tko here and there doesn’t instantly mean you’re a KO machine.

Leave with the same girl you took to the dance.

Wrestling is more tiring and the gas tank seems to diminish with time.

Some wrestlers also get to the near the top of the rankings by outwrestling poor grapplers, but once at the top of the heap this isn't possible as the top guys have better TDD. So they have no choice but to strike.

Look at Brunson out wrestling Holland. Holland isn't a real top 10 guy. If Brunson tried to do that to Jacare, Whittaker, Yoel, Adesanya, Gastelum, they are simply to good to just get taken down over and over again. So if you see him fight them it'll look like he's given up in wrestling, when the reality is he can't because they are too good.

It's like an NFL team that feasts on teams with no D line and run the ball 40 times a game averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Then they play a team with good run defence and stupid people say they've "given up on the run" and it makes no sense as they usually get 4.8 yards per carry! No they gave up on getting 2.8 yards per carry because the circumstances changed.

Lots of wrestlers have shitty knees and backs. This typically gets worse with time, so by 35 their wrestling game is just a threat to control distance or create openings.

Jon Jones didn't fall in love with his striking, he went from being a guy who could take down Rampage, Bader, and DC to a guy with 20% TD accuracy. It's not like his wrestling is still stellar and he chooses not to use it. It's failing him.

Lots of wrestlers have shitty knees and backs. This typically gets worse with time, so by 35 their wrestling game is just a threat to control distance or create openings.

Jon Jones didn't fall in love with his striking, he went from being a guy who could take down Rampage, Bader, and DC to a guy with 20% TD accuracy. It's not like his wrestling is still stellar and he chooses not to use it. It's failing him.
I hate when people say that they fell in love with their striking,as if they are all idiots and dont like to win.

At some point every fighter becomes too worn out to fight effectively. Maybe that comes a little earlier for wrestling because it requires a more constant output of energy, but father time calls all comers and wrestlers have been able to demonstrate just as much longevity in cases as non-wrestlers so I wouldn't grow too excited about it.

as a previous poster mentioned. Back in knee issues are why. I think thats why you see JJ doing dead lifts so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back