When Fighters Get too old to wrestle?

Dan Henderson stopped Wrestling in the latter half of his career.

Yoel Romero doesn’t Wrestle. Even though he can. He just stands and bangs for most fights.

Jon Jones hasn’t wrestled very well for a couple years and he isn’t even old.

The only Older guy who I can name who wrestles is DC

images

Judges and spectators. Today ufc is a show...

Yoel Romero doesn’t Wrestle. Even though he can. He just stands and bangs for most fights.

images
York Romero can't wrestle.
He has some back injury preventing him from it.
I don't know why this isn't common knowledge here.

That’s news to me.

I swear Rogan talks about his wrestling every time he fights.
I saw a video few months ago.
I can't remember if Yoel or his coach explained that he can't wrestle for several years now BC of his back being fucked up.

Wrestling when you got older, especially in MMA will zap your energy. Hence why you see these older guys like Romero, DC etc slow down on the wrestling

images
Did DC wrestle in the Stipe fights?? Only against BB who only knows how to “just stand up”.

Wrestling is more tiring and the gas tank seems to diminish with time.

Some wrestlers also get to the near the top of the rankings by outwrestling poor grapplers, but once at the top of the heap this isn't possible as the top guys have better TDD. So they have no choice but to strike.

Look at Brunson out wrestling Holland. Holland isn't a real top 10 guy. If Brunson tried to do that to Jacare, Whittaker, Yoel, Adesanya, Gastelum, they are simply to good to just get taken down over and over again. So if you see him fight them it'll look like he's given up in wrestling, when the reality is he can't because they are too good.

It's like an NFL team that feasts on teams with no D line and run the ball 40 times a game averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Then they play a team with good run defence and stupid people say they've "given up on the run" and it makes no sense as they usually get 4.8 yards per carry! No they gave up on getting 2.8 yards per carry because the circumstances changed.
Exactly! A DI wrestler can transition and wrestle all his opponents down with ease until he reaches the higher levels. Once opponents reach a certain level of wrestling/BJJ it takes a lot of energy to take someone down. We see the results of guys out wrestling their opponents the first round, gassing out, and getting TKOd the second/third at least every other card.

I hate when people say that they fell in love with their striking,as if they are all idiots and dont like to win.
I think "Fall in love" is meant more that they realize that a couple good punches can get the W alot quicker and easier on the body than tryna ragdoll someone

Exactly! A DI wrestler can transition and wrestle all his opponents down with ease until he reaches the higher levels. Once opponents reach a certain level of wrestling/BJJ it takes a lot of energy to take someone down. We see the results of guys out wrestling their opponents the first round, gassing out, and getting TKOd the second/third at least every other card.
Considering the proliferation of wrestlers at the highest level of the sport this is a really bad theory. Even despite the UFC's general attempts to keep wrestlers out of the league for their perceived lack of entertainment value, they frequently dominate and control the rankings regardless. It's absolutely nothing about the "higher levels", what's being discussed here is how age and injuries can affect a trajectory. That is legitimate. Claims that wrestling doesn't work at a certain level...there's a nuanced discussion to be had there but the reality is no.

As you get older its harder for them to get the takedown.

DC couldn’t wrestle Stipe well in the last two fights and Francis out wrestled Stipe with what at best is a handful of years wrestling training only. DC also got taken down by Gus lol his wrestling got worse with age like everyone else.
Maybe it had something to do with Ngannou being 30 pounds above Stipe while DC was around the same weight.

Hes had neck surgery. The scar is nasty.

EmupuErXcAIRfoO

yup apparently his neck snapped at ATT during practice and he was so muscular he was able to keep moving - if he was weaker he'd be paralyzed or dead

Every wrestle that learns to strike well abandons wrestling. GSP is the only exception I can think of.

Back