Would holland benefit going to 170?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes he has a big wrestling problem but he also does seem extremelly small compared to his oponents. How much of his problems are size related,on the down side he wouldn't be able to make such quick turnarounds but i think he would be more competitive at ww dispite de wrestling heavy top 5

I think you nailed the issue in that opening sentence, TS. I doubt being a little bigger then his competition would close that gap. Didn’t he recently switch camps to DC’s team? Can’t remember the name? That seems like a good move though.

He's very tall and long, the cut to 170 might be tough for him. But you're right that he could likely make it and might have more success there. The problem is that 170 is a very grappling heavy division with guys like Usman, Colby, Burns, Chiesa, Belal. Holland needs to significantly improve his wrestling technique or else it'll likely be the same story even if he moves down a division.

If he could comfortable make it without depleting himself, of course he would. Being manhandled by Brunson and Vettori just wouldn't happen and his shots would definitely see more of a reaction.

I think you nailed the issue in that opening sentence, TS. I doubt being a little bigger then his competition would close that gap. Didn’t he recently switch camps to DC’s team? Can’t remember the name? That seems like a good move though.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong he does need to get better at wrestling, but another big problem he has is his inability to scramble and i think that that comea related to his size in the division, he seems very weak in the clinches and is almost always outmuscled. Outside of the intangibles i really think 185 is not the correct class for.him

Embracing the drain of getting better at wrestling. I don't know, man, that's a tough dilemma.

he also does seem extremelly small compared to his oponents.

Um... no? He's 6'3", he's built similar to Izzy. Maybe he could put on a couple pounds, I can see that, but I don't think he's at a severe size disadvantage. Usman, Colby, Chiesa and other WW wrestlers would do the same to him.

Yes he has a big wrestling problem but

I don't think one has to go much further than this. His takedown defense just isn't good. On the plus side, he doesn't take too much damage on the ground, but his wrestling is just bad. He needs to stay at AKA for a while, I think he can still do things at MW.

Perry VS Holland at 170 should have been made yesterday.

Yes he has a big wrestling problem but he also does seem extremelly small compared to his oponents. How much of his problems are size related,on the down side he wouldn't be able to make such quick turnarounds but i think he would be more competitive at ww dispite de wrestling heavy top 5

Hes freaking lean already whats he gunna lose a leg to make 170....if anything he should eat more and keep wrestling with D.Cs guys and move up a weight class the dude is Skinnayy!!

Um... no? He's 6'3", he's built similar to Izzy. Maybe he could put on a couple pounds, I can see that, but I don't think he's at a severe size disadvantage. Usman, Colby, Chiesa and other WW wrestlers would do the same to him.

I don't think one has to go much further than this. His takedown defense just isn't good. On the plus side, he doesn't take too much damage on the ground, but his wrestling is just bad. He needs to stay at AKA for a while, I think he can still do things at MW.
Yeah he's built similar to Izzy except smaller, he has said he could make 170, everything is easier against guys at 170 vs 185

Hes freaking lean already whats he gunna lose a leg to make 170....if anything he should eat more and keep wrestling with D.Cs guys and move up a weight class the dude is Skinnayy!!
Yall don't get that you can't just put on muscle once you're maxed out, he's a grown man and has been a pro athlete for years, he can't put on more muscle

No 170 is full of strong grapplers:
-Chiesa
-Edward
-Colby
-Usman

He can't beat any of those blokes

No 170 is full of strong grapplers:
-Chiesa
-Edward
-Colby
-Usman

He can't beat any of those blokes

Yeah but he is not beating any of the top 185ers either. The guy just isn't good enough to be a top fighter, size is not his main problem.

Yall don't get that you can't just put on muscle once you're maxed out, he's a grown man and has been a pro athlete for years, he can't put on more muscle

???... There so much wrong with this i dunno what to touch first...

Also were did i say hes gunna gain all muscle as he moves up...im saying dude is too lean and skinnay at 185 and definitely has a frame to carry 205lbs...more so then 170lbs

Take a year or half a year...get heavier...wrestle alot...move up into a new weight class...

Yeah he's built similar to Izzy except smaller, he has said he could make 170, everything is easier against guys at 170 vs 185

I think he would be depleted and even skinnier and still outmuscled at WW. Dude's 6'3" lol. I get the impression that he just barely trained wrestling before facing Brunson and Vettori. He just bought his own hype because he was starching guys.

Ok, this is simply false. He is skinny and I think he cuts little weight, he could totally put on a few pounds of muscle and fill out his frame for the weight class at 185. In fact, he should. Not sure where you're getting that this is not possible.

He's another one of those dudes who just doesn't have a weight class that suits him. Too thin and wiry to be a strong MW, but seems too big to cut to WW.

Where do you see 15 lbs he can lose? The guy is pretty low body fat already.

His problem is his skills aren't good enough to hang with the best at 170 or 185.

In general, I think he would benefit to stick to one weight class as you said, take some time off (or at least a big step down in competition) and work extensively on his wrestling and TDD because he really looks like the new Condit atm.

I think he would be depleted and even skinnier and still outmuscled at WW. Dude's 6'3" lol. I get the impression that he just barely trained wrestling before facing Brunson and Vettori. He just bought his own hype because he was starching guys.

Ok, this is simply false. He is skinny and I think he cuts little weight, he could totally put on a few pounds of muscle and fill out his frame for the weight class at 185. In fact, he should. Not sure where you're getting that this is not possible.
That's for sure possible, I'm taking him at his word he could make WW, I've heard him talk about it, and he makes it sound like he doesn't do it out of laziness, or pride or something

I feel like 90% of the time guys should be at the lowest weight class possible, there are exceptions, but he should at least try it if he thinks he could do it. Do I think his wrestling problem would dissappear at 170? No, but I still think he'd probably be more successful unless he's just too depleted

Back