Would holland benefit going to 170?

???... There so much wrong with this i dunno what to touch first...

Also were did i say hes gunna gain all muscle as he moves up...im saying dude is too lean and skinnay at 185 and definitely has a frame to carry 205lbs...more so then 170lbs

Take a year or half a year...get heavier...wrestle alot...move up into a new weight class...
To gain weight you either put on muscle or fat, I'm assuming you think he can put on muscle if you think he can get to 205...

I agree. He should try some strength training and put on about 10 good lbs too. I don't think he cuts much to make weight.
He said multiple times he hardly cuts weight, I don't know why so many people think you can just put on 10 lbs. of muscle. Remember when GSP tried to put on muscle to go to MW and gave himself colitis without putting on any muscle? He was maxed out already, same with almost every pro fighter, only time you see guys put on a bunch of weight is when they're killing themselves to make a weight class like Conor, or Rumble

He said multiple times he hardly cuts weight, I don't know why so many people think you can just put on 10 lbs. of muscle. Remember when GSP tried to put on muscle to go to MW and gave himself colitis without putting on any muscle? He was maxed out already, same with almost every pro fighter, only time you see guys put on a bunch of weight is when they're killing themselves to make a weight class like Conor, or Rumble
I'm not saying just put on muscle for muscle's sake. I'm saying do proper strength training with the idea of adding about 10 lbs of mass. If Jon Jones can get up to 250, Holland can gain 10 lbs with the right diet and training. He might need to take a break from fighting 5 times a year and give it 6 months, but it can be done.

I'm not saying just put on muscle for muscle's sake. I'm saying do proper strength training with the idea of adding about 10 lbs of mass. If Jon Jones can get up to 250, Holland can gain 10 lbs with the right diet and training. He might need to take a break from fighting 5 times a year and give it 6 months, but it can be done.
10 lbs. of mass? I'm assuming you mean muscle, why would he want to put on fat? Jones is just getting fat, if he ever comes back his performance will reflect that. The vast majority of these guys have been lifting for years already, they have the max amount of muscle possible, GSP is the best example, he bought into this myth you can just put on muscle, or "mass" whenever you want and he realized it doesn't work

That's for sure possible, I'm taking him at his word he could make WW, I've heard him talk about it, and he makes it sound like he doesn't do it out of laziness, or pride or something

I know he said this, but I personally don't think it's a really great idea. Seemed to me like a reaction to getting outmuscled in the wrestling.

I feel like 90% of the time guys should be at the lowest weight class possible, there are exceptions, but he should at least try it if he thinks he could do it. Do I think his wrestling problem would dissappear at 170? No, but I still think he'd probably be more successful unless he's just too depleted

There's plenty of counter-examples to this idea. Burns is a better WW than LW, Hooker and Oliveira are better LWs than FWs. Overeem is a better HW than LHW. Cejudo is equally good at BW and FLW, etc, etc. Guys like Chandler are successful as 5'7" LWs, while he could've chosen to try to make FW.

I don't think Holland is undersized at MW, and he has power to hurt anyone there. He rocked Brunson and KO'd plenty of guys at that weight. I'm talking about filling out at MW, which would be achievable by gaining ~5lbs of muscle or so, not going up a full weight class to LHW. He could also get stronger without gaining any weight, of course, but a couple lbs wouldn't hurt him at all, even if it wasn't all muscle.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, maybe he can make WW, I just doubt that it's the best choice.

10 lbs. of mass? I'm assuming you mean muscle, why would he want to put on fat? Jones is just getting fat, if he ever comes back his performance will reflect that. The vast majority of these guys have been lifting for years already, they have the max amount of muscle possible, GSP is the best example, he bought into this myth you can just put on muscle, or "mass" whenever you want and he realized it doesn't work
It will be muscle, yes. But it's different than just saying go get yoked and look like you added muscle. Do you know the difference between strength training and simply "adding muscle"? So yes, strength training adds muscle, but it's for a specific purpose of getting stronger, not just making your pecs and biceps bigger. I was being more specific. It's sad that I have to spell it out for you to shut you up.

I know he said this, but I personally don't think it's a really great idea. Seemed to me like a reaction to getting outmuscled in the wrestling.

There's plenty of counter-examples to this idea. Burns is a better WW than LW, Hooker and Oliveira are better LWs than FWs. Overeem is a better HW than LHW. Cejudo is equally good at BW and FLW, etc, etc. Guys like Chandler are successful as 5'7" LWs, while he could've chosen to try to make FW.

I don't think Holland is undersized at MW, and he has power to hurt anyone there. He rocked Brunson and KO'd plenty of guys at that weight. I'm talking about filling out at MW, which would be achievable by gaining ~5lbs of muscle or so, not going up a full weight class to LHW. He could also get stronger without gaining any weight, of course, but a couple lbs wouldn't hurt him at all, even if it wasn't all muscle.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, maybe he can make WW, I just doubt that it's the best choice.
As I said, there are exceptions, I'm talking about what is usually true, most guys in the UFC are cutting huge amounts of weight, very few are taking the Holland approach and cutting a few pounds. Imagine if Khabib was at 170, or Usman was at 185, or Holloway was at 155, they would be much less competitive. Also, Chandler is a huge LW who could never make FW, most of the guys you mentioned are still cutting more than Holland

It will be muscle, yes. But it's different than just saying go get yoked and look like you added muscle. Do you know the difference between strength training and simply "adding muscle"? So yes, strength training adds muscle, but it's for a specific purpose of getting stronger, not just making your pecs and biceps bigger. I was being more specific. It's sad that I have to spell it out for you to shut you up.
Lol why are you being combatitve? Shut me up? I thought we were just having a conversation... anyway these guys are already lifting, if he hasn't been lifting his entire career, then yeah that would help him a ton. 99% of pro mma fighters at Holland's level lift, that's like saying McGregor should start running to fix his gas tank issue, he is already doing that.

Yes he has a big wrestling problem but he also does seem extremelly small compared to his oponents. How much of his problems are size related,on the down side he wouldn't be able to make such quick turnarounds but i think he would be more competitive at ww dispite de wrestling heavy top 5
Are you talking about Kevin Holland, the guy with 5% body fat, dropping 15 lbs?
Is this something you can do on video games now? Where do these ideas come from?

170 would be good imo ....or up his strength and conditioning......His body type fills out with age

I thought he'd weighed in at 183 before and has said he doesn't cut much weight?

If so he doesn't have to lose 10-15 lbs, he probably has to lose 5 and cut the other 10. That's not a big stretch.

Either way he needs to get stronger and better at wrassling.

Back