Vettori With a Better Gameplan

KeyboardFighter

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This fight went pretty much how I thought it was going to go, after I saw Vettori struggling in the striking against Holland. I knew izzy was going to outstrike Marvin easily.

But why was Marvin in Izzy's kicking range the whole fight? In my eyes it seemed like he was getting the better of Israel in the boxing exchanges. He was getting eaten up by Israel's kicking and also ate some huge high kicks that did some damage. His gameplan was obviously to take Izzy down so it would've been perfect to just stay in close range the whole fight, trade in the pocket and then clinch up. Go for the takedown, or just dirty box a little. Rinse and repeat. And if he can't close the range, stay out of Izzys kicking range! My only guess is that he was afraid of Izzy's knockout power and Izzy's superior footwork made it hard to press. So it may be is easier said than done to implement that strategy on Izzy.

I am also a little skeptical about his corner advice. Seemed a little deflating to just outright say you lost the round and just tell him to press the action, nothing more.

AHAHA getting the better on the boxing exchanges. He punch air for the entire fight, Izzy was just picking him apart from distance and waiting for him to overcommit to go for the kill. He didn't even win the wrestling exchanges. Totally dominated.

I dont know if he is dynamic enough to beat someone like Izzy. He is a strong dude with some good talent,but its a kind of meat and potatoes style,that I think isnt enough. Yes he has to get the takedown but its going to be so hard to use what he has to get in on izzy consistently. He didnt get chewed up like Costa so there is that.

Izzy's footspeed is too much and the problem is he can move like that the whole fight. Vittori doesn't have the movement to keep up, he can't force him into any specific range.

AHAHA getting the better on the boxing exchanges. He punch air for the entire fight, Izzy was just picking him apart from distance and waiting for him to overcommit to go for the kill. He didn't even win the wrestling exchanges. Totally dominated.
Maybe winning was hyperbolic. But he had way more success in the boxing exchanges then anywhere else. But yeah Izzy was probably waiting for him to overcommit good point.

Vetori needs to learn how to cut the cage properly and not just push forward, prime weidman was goat when it came to cage cutting

Middleweight just doesn't have any high level wrestlers apart from washed up Weidman.

This fight went pretty much how I thought it was going to go, after I saw Vettori struggling in the striking against Holland. I knew izzy was going to outstrike Marvin easily.

But why was Marvin in Izzy's kicking range the whole fight? In my eyes it seemed like he was getting the better of Israel in the boxing exchanges. He was getting eaten up by Israel's kicking and also ate some huge high kicks that did some damage. His gameplan was obviously to take Izzy down so it would've been perfect to just stay in close range the whole fight, trade in the pocket and then clinch up. Go for the takedown, or just dirty box a little. Rinse and repeat. And if he can't close the range, stay out of Izzys kicking range! My only guess is that he was afraid of Izzy's knockout power and Izzy's superior footwork made it hard to press. So it may be is easier said than done to implement that strategy on Izzy.

I am also a little skeptical about his corner advice. Seemed a little deflating to just outright say you lost the round and just tell him to press the action, nothing more.
Yup. Cornering him and letting loose while izzy was on the fence was the way to go. Keep it close, like a foot distance constantly clinching and striking. Rinse and repeat. Bad gameplan from vettori.

He told him to shoot for an explosive takedown before R3 and he did. That was his best takedown.
What more could they tell him?
In standup, he is clearly inferior to Adesanya.
He could have tried the Usman method vs Mas 1.
Keep him stuck to the wall and destroy his feet.
Or shoot for more takedowns.
But Adesanya had a good TDD and he is not clueless on the ground, like Holland.

Izzy's footspeed is too much and the problem is he can move like that the whole fight. Vittori doesn't have the movement to keep up, he can't force him into any specific range.
Yeah for sure Izzy's footwork is hard to deal with. Vettori is kind of plowing forward and rather stationary. But I think if he changed it up a little, maybe make Izzy come to him and when he is in kicking range press forward. Marvin doesn't have to be afraid of getting taken down so he has the luxury to throw caution to the wind, and be unpredictable with his movement.

I think people are underrating how good Israel's wrestling is. He got taken down by Jan, who had amazing timing on his TD's, but he is pretty good at it. Better than prime Silva in terms of TDD

Vettori missed a lot of punches in boxing range and Izzy was bobbing and weaving, waiting for the big punch. I don't know if it was just instinct by Vettori or not, but I think he felt he is being completely outmatched in boxing range and that's why he stayed in kicking range.

Both Whittaker and Costa were KOd, trying to KO Izzy in boxing range.

if by better gameplan you mean EPO, then it could work

let's put it this way, if this was a boxing match Vettori would lose worst than he did.

I think people are underrating how good Israel's wrestling is. He got taken down by Jan, who had amazing timing on his TD's, but he is pretty good at it. Better than prime Silva in terms of TDD

if by better gameplan you mean EPO, then it could work
I get it your a Izzy super fan. I like Izzy too, really exciting fighter. I'm just theorizing how Marvin could've done better is all.

I like Izzy, yes. And I am serious, if Vettori managed to improve his cardio a lot and just constantly spam for TD he may have a chance

Generic MMA fighter that's decent all around, but nothing stands out and takes no risk.

There is no Vettori with a better game plan - period. If he entered that fight after watching the Costa match and didn't know to check those leg kicks then he's way too stupid to come up with a better game plan. Plus, MMA guys still don't seem to have figured out a very simple rule that boxers understand - if you're opponent has good head movement, punch their chest. It's a larger target and harder to move out of the way. For five rounds he was oblivious to this and kept head-hunting. So again, there's no better game plan coming. This was a corner that didn't do their homework and doesn't understand simple boxing concepts.

Back