UFC fighter Marcelo Rojo apologizes for racist posts; Dana White, Brandon Moreno disapprove

Status
Not open for further replies.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
UFC_JB_2021_03_13_0230_2021031361622274.0.jpg

Brandon Moreno’s cornerman and UFC fighter Marcelo Rojo sparked controversy two days before his friend’s title rematch with flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo at UFC 263 in Glendale, AZ, with a few posts on social media.

Rojo posted a series of pictures on his Instagram page with a filter that gave Figueiredo a monkey face. Calling Brazilians “monkeys” are a racist insult usually seen in the soccer world for decades in Rojo’s home country of Argentina, and it drew outrage from Figueiredo’s team. Wallid Ismail, manager for the champion, posted the images on his social media calling for “every racist” to be “banned from the sport.”

Rojo, who set his Instagram page private after the controversy began, opened it up again hours later with a statement in Portuguese in which he apologized “for offending people yesterday, which wasn’t the intention.”

Speaking with MMA Fighting on Saturday, Rojo said he wasn’t aware that those filters could have a racist implication in Brazil.

“I apologize to everybody, to people I don’t even know,” Rojo wrote in a text message. “Wallid is making this bigger than it is, I was just was putting filters on the [Instagram] live. I put a lot to all the fighters, I use the baby Yoda, the mustache filter, the monkey, on every fighter in the press conference, we were joking around… Then [Figueiredo] push Brandon and we start shouting, and someone screenshot the live and pass me the image. I upload it for fun, to make jokes to get [Figueiredo] more angry than he already is, but not to make this a racist thing.

“I do not know Brazil history, I’m from Argentina but I hate [soccer], I never watch an entire game, I did not know that was a real offense to the Brazilian people. I make a big mistake and regret it. I apologize to the people, I apologize to Wallid, I even apologize to master Rafael Cordeiro who I know him, who train me six months, and he explained it to me. Also, this is nothing to do with the Argentinian president, I am not living in Argentina since 2015. It was al a big mistake. In Mexico we joke around every time like this and it’s a big cultural gap that I missed. And I’m sorry again.”

Earlier this week, Argentina president Alberto Fernandez also started controversy between the countries by saying that “Mexicans emerged from Indigenous people, Brazilians emerged from the jungle but we Argentines arrived on boats.” Fernandes later apologized on Twitter, writing “I didn’t set out to offend, but in any case, if anyone felt offended or made invisible, I offer an apology.”

Rojo, who is 0-1 in the UFC and is currently slated to face Kevin Croom at a UFC Fight Night event in August, said he will be in Moreno’s corner tonight at UFC 263 and “it’s all clear.” He also criticized Ismail for his recent comments about UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya, telling Sherdog that Adesanya “has homosexual instincts and he should be studied by science” after apparently humping on Paulo Costa at UFC 253 in 2020.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, that's pretty fucked up.

I get part of why Figgy is pissed now.

Even weirder because plenty of Mexican folks are brown.

Though I do believe that it really could have been an unintentional mistake.

Cut this clown, immediately and every other promotion should make an example of someone like this and pay him peanuts if they really wanna take a risk with this dumbass.

Different cultures.. hard to judge.

Honestly.. we (argentinians) do not fit with the PC and cancel culture. Fuck that. When we get trashed we roll with the punches and hit back.
Walid is being a bitch here.

People have a right to feel offended hearing someone disrespect their nationality/culture. I mean it's part of who they are.

Different cultures.. hard to judge.

Honestly.. we (argentinians) do not fit with the PC and cancel culture. Fuck that. When we get trashed we roll with the punches and hit back.
Walid is being a bitch here.
Un pelotudo importante este rojo ahora pide disculpas despues del chiste estupido del mono. Pero bueno hay que tener en cuenta que los peleadores no son muy inteligentes que digamos

People have a right to feel offended hearing someone disrespect their nationality/culture. I mean it's part of who they are.
Yeah.. but there is gap between that and things like
Cut this clown, immediately and every other promotion should make an example of someone like this and pay him peanuts if they really wanna take a risk with this dumbass.

Oh man, that's pretty fucked up.

I get part of why Figgy is pissed now.

Even weirder because plenty of Mexican folks are brown.

Though I do believe that it really could have been an unintentional mistake.

Mexico/Latin America/South America is pretty diverse, lots of skin tones and still lots of racism unfortunately. Some of the lighter skin folks really cling to their whiteness/European ancestry.

Un pelotudo importante este rojo ahora pide disculpas despues del chiste estupido del mono. Pero bueno hay que tener en cuenta que los peleadores no son muy inteligentes que digamos
Si, y justo el homofóbico de mierda de Wallid va a venir a decir algo.
Aparte ¿A quién le importa? Son peleadores, no diplomáticos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back