Is Henri Hooft the most overrated striking coach in MMA?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
He gets so much praise but he peaked with the Blackzilians. There was a stretch when he had Vitor, Michael, Rumble all peaking but all hit a plateau in the standup with him and always had holes. Chandler had the same defensive holes thats gotten him dropped before. Only Rumble and Michael for a stretch had good defense under him

Burns right now is really overrated and Stephen is about to beat the shit outta him. Kamaru left Henri for Wittman and his striking has gotten far better for it.

Last edited:
Just because he's a kickboxing legend, doesnt mean all of his students will be.

It does I think kind of show you why MMA has tended towards simplified safer styles, if you want to fight like that it does need a good amount of natural ability.

He gets so much praise but he peaked with the Blackzilians. There was a stretch when he had Vitor, Michael, Rumble all peaking but all hit a plateau in the standup with him and always had holes. Chandler had the same defensive holes thats gotten him dropped before. Only Rumble and Michael for a stretch had good defense under him

Burns right now is really overrated and Stephen is about to beat the shit outta him. Kamaru left Henri for Wittman and his striking has gotten far better for it.
Yes, he is. I've been saying that for months. He's still very good, but he's not elite, cream of the crop coach.

Legend is kind of a stretch. Dude has just been around the scene for a long time. Tbh, Roberto flamingo was a better striking coach at blackzilians than Henry. Henri just knew people would choose him over a failing gym that was about to sink.

He is one of the only 2 or 3 coaches that really knows the true Dutch style in America. I'll give him that.

Being my coach one of those few who know it, I see that it's 50/50 in mma. Reality, it's still best under Kickboxing rules. Just like how the wonderboys and Raymond daniels of yhe world is good in mma, but can't hack it with real elite kickboxers

Mendes sucks, he’s a striking coach and yet none of his fighters have good striking technique. They win because of the wrestling talent in that gym

That's going overboard. He's not the best striking coach but Khabib was far better in the standup with him compared to how clueless he was against Tibau.

DC literally won the HW title by KOing Stipe.

That's going overboard. He's not the best striking coach but Khabib was far better in the standup with him compared to how clueless he was against Tibau.

DC literally won the HW title by KOing Stipe.
You really think DC learned that clinch hook that he KOd stipe with from Mendes..?

Khabib is a coaches dream pupil, Whitman would’ve improved his striking much quicker than Mendes

Tbh, i think in mma its about the talent of the fighter. Some guys are just really fast and strong and have good reflexes.

there are fighters from no name gyms and no name striking coaches that are great strikers.

Hooft is an incredible coach. You should train under him first before passing your armchair judgements. I was at imperial athletics with him (original blackzilians home) then Jaco training center. Spent a year there and my game went through the roof.

Yeah Marty’s striking with wittman has improved drastically. Usman is a scary dude right now, and henri wasn’t using usman to his full potential.

Hooft’s style is very aggressive, Dutch strikers in general tend to be very aggressive but defensively suspect. And the Dutch style doesn’t entirely transfer over fully to MMA.

Hooft’s style is very aggressive, Dutch strikers in general tend to be very aggressive but defensively suspect. And the Dutch style doesn’t entirely transfer over fully to MMA.

It's one of the harder transtitions, but what makes it hard is the big gloves definitely is a main factor. Then add on techniques, distances, level changes. But if you get it down, it's very useful. My coach said it took him years to get the transition down

Back