Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le

blacknblue104

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Just re-watched this fight for the first time in years and wow what an incredible fight it was.

This has to be one of the most under appreciated fights in UFC history. Cung hurts Wanderlei multiple times with a spinning back fist, a right hook and an axe kick but Wanderlei stays in the fight and fires back with some good combinations.

Tough style match up for Wanderlei but his endurance was what won him the fight, and what a finish at the end once he gets Cung hurt.

I remember watching back when it first happened in 2011, but obviously it was overshadowed by the Shogun-Henderson main event. Oh, and Chandler-Alvarez I also happened that night on Bellator. That had to have been one of the greatest nights in MMA history.

This fight only angered me whenever I watched it. The back to the head strikes by Wandy made the fight stopped

Reactions: mkt
The BEST shoop I ever saw in my LIFE came from this fight.

And a Sherdogger made it.

I cannot remember who made it but it was the execution photo from Vietnam with Wand holding the gun and Cung Le as the victim.

It was terrible and amazing at the same time.

It’s one of those types of fights that makes this sport so special; When a fighter is technically outmatched but manages to find a way to get the win…

That was the night where's commentary went to shit. I mean, he always let some bias slip out especially in the early UFC days but he got it under wraps for a few years. Then he went to shit and it's only been downhill since.

It’s one of those types of fights that makes this sport so special; When a fighter is technically outmatched but manages to find a way to get the win…

Wand was also much bigger and more experienced in MMA. He spent most of his career at LHW and even fought at HW. I really wanted Cung to win but he was afraid he'd end up getting caught after starting well.

Just re-watched this fight for the first time in years and wow what an incredible fight it was.

This has to be one of the most under appreciated fights in UFC history. Cung hurts Wanderlei multiple times with a spinning back fist, a right hook and an axe kick but Wanderlei stays in the fight and fires back with some good combinations.

Tough style match up for Wanderlei but his endurance was what won him the fight, and what a finish at the end once he gets Cung hurt.

I remember watching back when it first happened in 2011, but obviously it was overshadowed by the Shogun-Henderson main event. Oh, and Chandler-Alvarez I also happened that night on Bellator. That had to have been one of the greatest nights in MMA history.

I rewatched this card recently as well, obviously keen for the main event but this one was a sleeper, what a great fight it was!

I rewatched this card recently as well, obviously keen for the main event but this one was a sleeper, what a great fight it was!

Yeah UFC 139 is easily one of the best events in UFC history.

Shogun vs Henderson and Wanderlei vs Le were both FOTY candidates, Kampmann vs Story was an excellent fight, and Faber had a great finish over Brian Bowles on the main card as well.

Another note as well- Kampmann was in the middle of an amazing run of fights during this time period. From 2011-12 he was in 4 straight fights that were all FOTN caliber fights, wish he would have gotten a title shot he earned it with those performances.

Yeah UFC 139 is easily one of the best events in UFC history.

Shogun vs Henderson and Wanderlei vs Le were both FOTY candidates, Kampmann vs Story was an excellent fight, and Faber had a great finish over Brian Bowles on the main card as well.

Another note as well- Kampmann was in the middle of an amazing run of fights during this time period. From 2011-12 he was in 4 straight fights that were all FOTN caliber fights, wish he would have gotten a title shot he earned it with those performances.
Incredible ass night

I was sad we didn't see more of cung le and that he didn't come to ufc a bit earlier.

Back