Media Michael Chandler was 'confused' on getting a title shot, but wasn't going to argue with the UFC

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

"When I got the phonecall for the UFC [LW] Titleshot, I was absolutely excited, a little but confused, but I wasn't going to argue with them. The answer is Yes."

Last edited:
That's what you do and that's what Mr. Pink Goof likes. Guys who jump when they have the chance. You can be sure Dana will treat Chandler well regardless of what happens in his next few fights.

Really hard to see him or Charles lose. I think I'm rooting for Chandler because he's older and this will probably be his only chance at UFC gold.

Really hard to see him or Charles lose. I think I'm rooting for Chandler because he's older and this will probably be his only chance at UFC gold.
easy to see chandler lose. He doesn't even deserve the title shot. He was afforded the opportunity. Chandler being marketable will ensure he will get another title shot. Whether justly or unjustly, he will get it. Charles however will not. This is really his only shot. Everything is on the line for this guy.

easy to see chandler lose. He doesn't even deserve the title shot. He was afforded the opportunity. Chandler being marketable will ensure he will get another title shot. Whether justly or unjustly, he will get it. Charles however will not. This is really his only shot. Everything is on the line for this guy.
True. Chandler got the shot due to timing mostly. Dustin is fighting Conor and Gaethje just lost his last title fight.
Charles is still young, but if he lost he would definitely have to go on another long win streak since he's not as marketable as the other top 5 fighters.

I like both, so I don't mind seeing either guy win.
I've always liked Chandler and loved his fights in Bellator.

I'll say one thing about this fight, it's that people are underestimating Charles by a lot. His wrestling, top game and standup have improved tremendously. I could see the possibility of him knocking out Chandler for sure.

I see it the other way around.

Chandler is one of three potential American champs at LW (with Gaethje and Poirier, both of whom are more established faces with most UFC fans). If Chandler loses, they write him off as Bellator has-been, and move on to promoting Poirier/Gaethje.

Meanwhile, Oliviera is the only top Brazilian lightweight prospect, and has such a long history with the UFC that it’s hard to imagine him not being in title contention again. Hell, I think they gave him this title shot expecting him to lose, but knowing he’s still young enough with a good enough record that they can give him another shot whenever they want and fans will not complain.

True. Chandler got the shot due to timing mostly. Dustin is fighting Conor and Gaethje just lost his last title fight.
Charles is still young, but if he lost he would definitely have to go on another long win streak since he's not as marketable as the other top 5 fighters.

I like both, so I don't mind seeing either guy win.
I've always liked Chandler and loved his fights in Bellator.

I'll say one thing about this fight, it's that people are underestimating Charles by a lot. His wrestling, top game and standup have improved tremendously. I could see the possibility of him knocking out Chandler for sure.
What does Oliveira's pay look like? If he's been smart he renegotiated his contract. If he's making big bucks he'll keep getting big fights/opportunities.

I see it the other way around.

Chandler is one of three potential American champs at LW (with Gaethje and Poirier, both of whom are more established faces with most UFC fans). If Chandler loses, they write him off as Bellator has-been, and move on to promoting Poirier/Gaethje.

Meanwhile, Oliviera is the only top Brazilian lightweight prospect, and has such a long history with the UFC that it’s hard to imagine him not being in title contention again. Hell, I think they gave him this title shot expecting him to lose, but knowing he’s still young enough with a good enough record that they can give him another shot whenever they want and fans will not complain.
they never wanted to give him a title shot to begin with, oliveira. It's just timing worked for him, imo.

Chandler is more marketable than oliveira. I think if he loses two in a row or something, yeah they'lll write off chandler, but I think if he puts on a show, loses they will rebuild him with one or two fights and he will challenge for the title.

I think Chandler grew on Sherdoggers a lot quicker than Askren did (as far as ex-Bellator champs with a lot of doubters/haters). I'm sure his style helps in that respect. We all love a quick KO.

It wasn't just the Hooker fight though. Chandler has fought and beaten legit competition including former UFC champions. Askren was a one-dimesional wrestler who never truly got tested until he entered the UFC.

IMO, the first minute of the Lawler fight really exposed Ben's weaknesses as a fighter.

Haha, I appreciate his honesty.

Sometimes, circumstances work out a little easier for you but you can't deny how hard he's worked to get here.
In context to the rest of the division, a Bellator guy getting a TS off a quick win over Hooker is weak af, I don’t hate Chandler but I don’t think he deserves the shot based on his UFC accomplishments.

they never wanted to give him a title shot to begin with, oliveira. It's just timing worked for him, imo.

Chandler is more marketable than oliveira. I think if he loses two in a row or something, yeah they'lll write off chandler, but I think if he puts on a show, loses they will rebuild him with one or two fights and he will challenge for the title.

That is some BS revisionist history. Oliveira was hyped ever since the beginning of his UFC career. He got a high profile fight against the TUF winner in his second fight. Then immediately got a top 5 guy afterwards, in Jim Miller. Miller was was tearing it up with a 7-1 record in the UFC at the time. Oliveira got the undeserved fight because the UFC was trying to push Oliveira. Miller proved to be too much for him.

You know who he got after going 4-3 in the UFC? Frankie Edgar fresh off a title loss to Jose Aldo. That is what's called pushing an undeserving fighter.

The truth is that the UFC kept giving Oliveira high profile fights to push him to the championship but he kept choking. That's when they gave him lower level/fading fighters where he was able to build this nice win streak.

Now people want to complain that the UFC has been holding him back from the title. Hell no. They've been trying to fast track him there for years.

Last edited:
In context to the rest of the division, a Bellator guy getting a TS off a quick win over Hooker is weak af, I don’t hate Chandler but I don’t think he deserves the shot based on his UFC accomplishments.

MMA does not only happen in the UFC.

Chandler is 22-5 at a high level. He holds two recent wins over Bendo. Who, by the way, was a top 10 UFC LW and WW on a 2 win streak when he left. Just because he beat Bendo outside the UFC doesn't mean they don't matter anymore. Only casuals and UFC shills think that way.

Poirier was hyped to hell for a hard fought win over Hooker. Now, that Chandler destroyed him, Hooker is trash? No, Chandler gets more credit for easily dispatching someone who gave the current #1 LW all he could handle.

MMA does not only happen in the UFC.

Chandler is 22-5 at a high level. He holds two recent wins over Bendo. Who, by the way, was a top 10 UFC LW and WW on a 2 win streak when he left. Just because he beat Bendo outside the UFC doesn't mean they don't matter anymore. Only casuals and UFC shills think that way.

Poirier was hyped to hell for a hard fought win over Hooker. Now, that Chandler destroyed him, Hooker is trash? No, Chandler gets more credit for easily dispatching someone who gave the current #1 LW all he could handle.

This.

Chandler is the proof there is Top 5 fighters outside of the UFC.

Back