Media Michael Chandler was 'confused' on getting a title shot, but wasn't going to argue with the UFC

they never wanted to give him a title shot to begin with, oliveira. It's just timing worked for him, imo.

Chandler is more marketable than oliveira. I think if he loses two in a row or something, yeah they'lll write off chandler, but I think if he puts on a show, loses they will rebuild him with one or two fights and he will challenge for the title.
I agree, I'm sure they would've rather had Oliveira fight Gaethje, but they needed a fight for Chandler, and since it's a title fight Oliveira was pretty much the only sensible option. No doubt that the UFC is hoping for Chandler to win though.

I'd like to see Oliveira take it. Should be a good fight either way.

I think if Chandler loses he won't get another title shot. He's 35, at LW that is old. Fighters at light weight classes do not age well. Chandler is explosive, you lose your explosiveness before power. Almost all the top guys are 31 or 32. Ferguson is older but he's on the way out.

MMA does not only happen in the UFC.

Chandler is 22-5 at a high level. He holds two recent wins over Bendo. Who, by the way, was a top 10 UFC LW and WW on a 2 win streak when he left. Just because he beat Bendo outside the UFC doesn't mean they don't matter anymore. Only casuals and UFC shills think that way.

Poirier was hyped to hell for a hard fought win over Hooker. Now, that Chandler destroyed him, Hooker is trash? No, Chandler gets more credit for easily dispatching someone who gave the current #1 LW all he could handle.
Agree to disagree, Chandler got
gifted his shot, it’s near-travesty imo if he wins next week.

Back