Does training in a gi help with MMA fights?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am confused because Eddie Bravo and Gordon Ryan believe that gi jujitsu training is use less for MMA but others argue that it helps with good habit and requires not too much adaptation.

Any example of UFC fighters who train with go vs non gi jujitsu fighters. Who has the best track record in the ultimate fighting championship?

I am confused because Eddie Bravo and Gordon Ryan believe that gi jujitsu training is use less for MMA but others argue that it helps with good habit and requires not too much adaptation.

Any example of UFC fighters who train with go vs non gi jujitsu fighters. Who has the best track record in the ultimate fighting championship?

I tend to think Gi is more like... practicing for basic self defense. You're never gonna fight a naked person and the Gi is just a way of making training clothes that don't rip and you have to constantly replenish.

The No Gi is infinitely more valuable for MMA

Grips are so much different. It might help at start if you don´t know all techniques to used to that. However as a pro mma fighter I don´t think its helpful.

I know a guy who never washed his gi. He was banned from the dojo after making a girl submit due to odor and she passed out before he let go. That was the last straw. He also owes me $20 which he said he needed for gas but ended up coming back with a fish filet meal from McD.

I tend to think Gi is more like... practicing for basic self defense. You're never gonna fight a naked person and the Gi is just a way of making training clothes that don't rip and you have to constantly replenish.

The No Gi is infinitely more valuable for MMA
It's not helpful for anything

It's around because of tradition, that's it

I fucking hate the GI lol, every jiu jitsu school has half their classes or more in GI, it's so lame

Only charlatans who want to sell signature gis or traditionalists who are triggered by mma being more popular than straight up bjj insist that it is useful for mma.

It is though useful training for an actual street fight. (coats/jackets etc...)

It's not helpful for anything

It's around because of tradition, that's it

I fucking hate the GI lol, every jiu jitsu school has half their classes or more in GI, it's so lame
I'm just giving my two cents lol. If we fight and you're not naked I can control you much easier with your clothes than a collar tie, even though that's an option as well. Gi's just don't rip. It's just simulated clothing that doesn't rip.

I'm just giving my two cents lol. If we fight and you're not naked I can control you much easier with your clothes than a collar tie, even though that's an option as well. Gi's just don't rip. It's just simulated clothing that doesn't rip.
1800-japan-photos-08.jpg

It's around because people used to wear shit like this in Japan

1800-japan-photos-08.jpg

It's around because people used to wear shit like this in Japan

Go put on your coat.
Go wear Jeans.

Same exact setup as a gi and pants. I can grab you by your belt, your pants loop, your cross collar, your sleeves....

CWJ-1_OPEN_03_R_400x.jpg

296551_0_44

Go put on your coat.
Go wear Jeans.

Same exact setup as a gi and pants. I can grab you by your belt, your pants loop, your cross collar, your sleeves....
Yeah, it kinda translates over, but if you walk around in a Western country most people are not wearing clothes you can perform gi techniques on

Again, the reason the GI is still around is tradition, it's not because people came together and figured out the best thing to wear to simulate modern street fights

Yeah, it kinda translates over, but if you walk around in a Western country most people are not wearing clothes you can perform gi techniques on

Again, the reason the GI is still around is tradition, it's not because people came together and figured out the best thing to wear to simulate modern street fights

I guess in an athletic environment it could be less useful as the clothes get thinner and thinner. I would still say most cloth T shirts you could still get value from though. Coats definitely. Jackets. Jeans. Especially Suits and Ties. Sports jackets. I'm picturing I guess a fight at the bar or at work or watching the fights at BWW. Not really like my local fitness center or a wrestling camp lol.

Nobody thinks training in the GI is helpful for MMA anymore

Before UFC we had Gracie jujitsu vs luta livre and the luta guys were no gi and yet Gracie jujitsu prevailed.

One famous BJJ in my town says that gi encourages Good habits. I don't know believe.

Before UFC we had Gracie jujitsu vs luta livre and the luta guys were no gi and yet Gracie jujitsu prevailed.

One famous BJJ in my town says that gi encourages Good habits. I don't know believe.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu didn't prevail because of the GI lol

As funny as it seems Gi training is more beneficial for irl scenarios than MMA lol.

I started out training no gi. Pretty soon after I started training with the gi my guard passes and submission defense got a lot better when rolling without it.

Different pace and strategy to the game, but in my experience cross training helped me develop more technique stay aware of where my limbs and neck were at all times since your whole body ends up becoming a grip for your opponent. Would it translate over to MMA? I don't know. I don't think it can hurt.

Gracie Jiu Jitsu didn't prevail because of the GI lol
What you mean lol. GSP dominated with his BJJ as a blackbelt from Renzo Gracie. He literally was able to lay and pray everyone. Mixed with his fantastic wrestling takedowns... dude was one of the GOATS. Also, the Danaher deathsquad is rooted from John's big sexy brain he developed studying under Renzo.

Edit: Especially since dudes hurt gotta give props to Weidman. MW champ - BB under Renzo. Dude had great ground game in his peak.

BJJ going the way of TMA, although I will always appreciate any sort of gi grappling. Worth being proficient in it at the very least.

What you mean lol. GSP dominated with his BJJ as a blackbelt from Renzo Gracie. He literally was able to lay and pray everyone. Mixed with his fantastic wrestling takedowns... dude was one of the GOATS. Also, the Danaher deathsquad is rooted from John's big sexy brain he developed studying under Renzo.
Danaher never trains in the GI anymore, I'm not sure what your point is

Back