Can Khabib still be a GOAT with 3 title defenses?(GOAT criteria)

GoofMaster93

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the only way to really compare champions from different eras is to look at their competition because you can't just simply say x champion has more title defenses therefore goat. At the same time I still believe that title fights hold more weight than regular bouts because from the champions perspective they have everything to lose. It really comes down to who they beat as champion imo

The pressure is far more higher and I think being a champion taxes them mentally more than anything. GSP said it himself multiple times that he felt drained and that he needed to take a step back. This is why in Khabib's case it's hard to tell because he has wins over notable fighters but he didn't beat them as a defending champion. GSP has 9 title defenses and fought at a higher weight class but some people still rank Khabib higher because he's undefeated

Khabib's undefeated record is impressive but again the level of competition that was faced has to be looked at closer. He won the title by beating short notice Iaquinta and then his first defense was against Conor who was also coming back from almost 2 years away from the octagon. I'm not saying the outcome would be different but it definitely has to be taken into account

Another thing worth mentioning is that GSP had his first 3 title defenses in the space of 11 months where as Khabib took 2 years

I think that you can make an argument for Fedor, Jones, GSP, Anderson, and Khabib all being the GOAT. It really comes down to which one is your favorite.

Khabib was the most invincible, never lost and dominated his opponents. But as you mentioned, he didnt have as long of a run at the top.

Fedor had the best aura, and seemed liked a god for 10 years. However, he didn't always fight the best competition.

GSP was the best athlete and probably beat the best competition, and avenged all losses. However, he played it safe a lot and doesn't have an amazing highlight reel of finishes.

Jones might have the most untouchable resume, and is basically undefeated. However, he has had his asterisks in the form of PED's.

Silva has by far the best highlight reel, and most impressive performances. However, he is also marked by PED's.

Really, you can make the argument for any one of these fighters being the GOAT, just comes down to favorites. My favorite is GSP so I choose him :)

Can't be considered GOAT if you would be outstruck by Cat Zingano. End of argument.

I think that you can make an argument for Fedor, Jones, GSP, Anderson, and Khabib all being the GOAT. It really comes down to which one is your favorite.

Khabib was the most invincible, never lost and dominated his opponents. But as you mentioned, he didnt have as long of a run at the top.

Fedor had the best aura, and seemed liked a god for 10 years. However, he didn't always fight the best competition.

GSP was the best athlete and probably beat the best competition, and avenged all losses. However, he played it safe a lot and doesn't have an amazing highlight reel of finishes.

Jones might have the most untouchable resume, and is basically undefeated. However, he has had his asterisks in the form of PED's.

Silva has by far the best highlight reel, and most impressive performances. However, he is also marked by PED's.

Really, you can make the argument for any one of these fighters being the GOAT, just comes down to favorites. My favorite is GSP so I choose him :)
Good post. For me, it's a tie between Fedor and GSP, but I'd probably lean slightly towards GSP if I had to pick.

I don't think Khabib has any case for overall GOAT. He was certainly the most dominant and best fighter when he retired (?), but in overall terms he simply lacks in longevity compared to the likes of Fedor, Jones, GSP etc.

As you said: he beat Iaquinta for the title and then he only ever had 3 title defenses - in three years.

It's simply not enough at this level. Being undefeated doesn't tip the scale enough, when Fedor, GSP, Jones, Anderson Silva all had long undefeated streaks themselves.

It's not his title defences that are the problem. Conor, Dustin and Justin are good wins. It's his record of fighting bums for most of his career that rule him out of the running for GOAT. If he fought higher calibre opponents and had a few losses it'd be more impressive than an undefeated record where 80% of the victims are no-names.

He dominated Conor, Dustin, Gaethje which are all elite fighters in the most stacked division. It’s not only that he beat them but how he beat them. He didn’t get a scratch ffs, not many people can say that after fighting these 3 killers in a row.

Khabib's entire UFC career he has amounted 704 strikes landed(since 2012)
Max Holloway landed 445 in his last fight.. Or 810 in his last 4 fights(Since July 2019) Or 2618 since he started(Also 2012).

<WhatItIs>

Last edited:
if he got the title shot after rda fight his resume would have looked so much better.
7 title defenses and better opponents.
all the canceled fights led to shit replacements

Khabib's entire UFC career he has amounted 704 strikes landed(since 2012)
Max Holloway landed 445 in his last fight.. Or 810 in his last 4 fights(Since July 2019) Or 2618 since he started(Also 2012).

<WhatItIs>
75% of Max's strikes are just touching his opponent.

75% of Max's strikes are just touching his opponent.
giphy.gif

The "greatest" means nobody did it better. You have to assess accomplishments, who they beat, and how they beat them. Title defenses hold big weight when assessing the greatest champions. Finishes in title defenses hold even more weight.

Yeah Fedor was incredible. Another big achievement for him was that his 10 year run was at HW... where all it takes is one little punch
Exactly. People shout "can crusher" here and there, but no matter who you fight at HW there is always a big risk involved. Journeymen like Ben Rothwell and Stefan Struve serve as examples who have flatlined some of the best HW fighters ever.

When Ring Magazine or any reputable source compiles all-time lists they don't compare this era's fighters to the last era's, as the level of fighter is better in the year 2010 than in the year 1940. They look at which division was tough at the time compared to other divisions of the time. Find out level of competition that way.

For Khabib, Penn, Edgar and Gomi LW in MMA has always been a strong division. But so has WW. Used to be LHW. That means both Jones and GSP fought tough competition along with Khabib, but have way more time at the top.

His legacy FOR ME (so just blow it out you ass anyone that wants to argue) is similar to Cain's. You know how good they are/could be, but their time on top just wasn't long enough. Although I'm more inclined to agree with people calling Khabib the GOAT LW over Cain being the GOAT HW

His legacy FOR ME (so just blow it out you ass anyone that wants to argue) is similar to Cain's. You know how good they are/could be, but their time on top just wasn't long enough. Although I'm more inclined to agree with people calling Khabib the GOAT LW over Cain being the GOAT HW
<PlusJuan>
This.
Didn't think about it that way before, but that sums up how I feel about his legacy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back