So remember when smith was knee'd illegally by jon jones in the 5th?

filthynumber1

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
And Anthony continued in a fight he was clearly gonna lose? He would have been champ and guaranteed a rematch and getting paid. And look where Smith is now.
From a fans perspective I get why people are mad. We want the fight to go on but the smart move from a fighters perspective is to take the victory, especially in this case where its for the belt. Like it or not its smart.
Whether he was acting or not. (Which he may have been abit)
Once your the champ, your the champ no one can take that away from you. Your name goes in history. Plus now you get a guaranteed rematch

Also remember Diego Sanchez did this in a prelims
Chris weidman tried this against gegard but it backfired on him

This is all been done before and don't forgot Yan is the dummy who committed the blatant foul in a fight he was winning

And Anthony continued in a fight he was clearly gonna lose? He would have been champ and guaranteed a rematch and getting paid. And look where Smith is now.
From a fans perspective I get why people are mad. We want the fight to go on but the smart move from a fighters perspective is to take the victory, especially in this case where its for the belt. Like it or not its smart.
Once your the champ, your the champ no one can take that away from you. Your name goes in history. Plus now you get a guaranteed rematch

This is all been done before and don't forgot Yan is the dummy who committed the blatant foul in a fight he was winning
Yeah, I have a tendency to be critical of the fighter when I get the impression that they're being overly dramatic so that they don't have to continue, but honestly, if a flagrant foul is committed against a fighter that has a real chance of affecting them the rest of the fight, its legit to take the win in my book.

Also Alvarez kneeling poirier and herb calling it unintentional

I think the ref messed up.

There is no possible way Yan actually intended to foul Aljamain. He was comfortably winning. He must have sincerely believed (albeit wrongly) that the knee would be legal.

NC should have been the right call.

Fighters lie their way thru continuing to fight and the Doctors are no wiser. Blind Bisping is a prime example but their are others. The doctors do not have the time or equipment to make such a determination.

Plus it would set a terrible precedence for illegal strikes if the injured can be forced to fight after a illegal strike. Fouls would become even more the norm.

Fighters lie their way thru continuing to fight and the Doctors are no wiser. Blind Bisping is a prime example but their are others. The doctors do not have the time or equipment to make such a determination.

Plus it would set a terrible precedence for illegal strikes if the injured can be forced to fight after a illegal strike. Fouls would become even more the norm.

I am not saying they should be forced to fight at all. If anything there should be an automatic DQ or point deduction if the ref determines it was intentional.

I don't care who you are if you get kneed to the head flush you are going to be compromised in the rmainder of the fight. For the damaged party it is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", that's why it is not a good idea to leave it up to the fighter imho.

If anything there should be an automatic DQ or point deduction if the ref determines it was intentional.

DQ with vacant belt I can see any other outcome no...

What would a point deduction do if the other fighter can't continue...in no way should the belt be able to be retained.

I don't really see how you can be mad at Sterling unless you're going to accuse him of faking it which I think is unfair. I think it's a pretty bad look to pose with the belt as if he won it legitimately but that's his prerogative.

DQ with vacant belt I can see any other outcome no...

What would a point deduction do if the other fighter can't continue...in no way should the belt be able to be retained.
Exactly no matter what the knee definitely further weakened any chances Sterling did have to make a comeback.

That's why the decision should be taken out of the fighter's hands.

When a guy who was outclassed from the bell gets the belt on a technicality, it diminishes the value of the belt. Nobody, not even Sterling, thanks he deserves that belt.

I think the ref messed up.

There is no possible way Yan actually intended to foul Aljamain. He was comfortably winning. He must have sincerely believed (albeit wrongly) that the knee would be legal.

NC should have been the right call.
No ones saying it but I'm glad you did . Should've been a no contest it's outrageous that he has the belt .

Back