Is it just me or did Connor look great in the 1st?

613MMAfan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I don't get where all the "he looked slow," and "he looked old," comments are coming from. I rewatched the fight and saw what I thought I saw the first time, which was that Connors hands looked fast and sharp and way better than Dustin's in the first round.

In the second round he started to look slower and his movement decreased dramatically and he stood right infront of dustin but I assume that had a lot to do with the calf kicks.

When he was fresh in the first he didn't look like he had declined physically at all.

Ya I thought he looked great, and I was rooting against him. He was tagging Dustin a lot. I am surprised Dustin took them, destroyed that lead leg, then finished him off. It was great, but I don't think Conor looked bad at all. He definitely doesn't handle adversity well though haha.

he looked okay but he was getting hit a lot with dustin's right hook

and conor's stance was very strange for this fight
he usually leans back like a karate fighter
for this fight he was leaning forward and being too inefficient with his punches
it was very similar to the diaz fights except dustin diamond 2.0 is a tougher fight for conor and made him pay

He looked good, he over extended a bit and was heavy on his front foot but he looked decent, landed some good shots and was pretty good in the clinch. He was visibly gassed after the first though, his mentality of “I’m tired I want out” will make him rack up losses against the dogs in the division.

Mcgregor has questionable stamina to be honest. It's been prevalent most of his career. Seems to lack heart when things get tough as well.

he looked okay but he was getting hit a lot with dustin's right hook

and conor's stance was very strange for this fight
he usually leans back like a karate fighter
for this fight he was leaning forward and being too inefficient with his punches
it was very similar to the diaz fights except dustin diamond 2.0 is a tougher fight for conor and made him pay
Doesn’t he more or less mostly train with boxers in Dublin now? He had a more boxing stance now and was very heavy on his front foot.

I don't get where all the "he looked slow," and "he looked old," comments are coming from. I rewatched the fight and saw what I thought I saw the first time, which was that Connors hands looked fast and sharp and way better than Dustin's in the first round.

In the second round he started to look slower and his movement decreased dramatically and he stood right infront of dustin but I assume that had a lot to do with the calf kicks.

When he was fresh in the first he didn't look like he had declined physically at all.
thought he won round 1. I didn't know those leg kicks were adding up. Dustin is not really a strong kicker like that. I figured gaethje would have the best chance of kicking his leg off, but like conor said he wasn't use to the calf kick meta. Dustin put water in the basement.

I really question if he can condition himself to adapt to the meta at this stage of his life.

He was winning on points but it was pretty clear that Dustin was implementing a long-term gameplan and that Conor didn't have enough power to put him out.

My thought after the 1st was "if Dustin doesn't get KO'd in the next 3 minutes, he got this".

I think it was the leg kicks for the most part.

It threw him off his rhythm and put him in a position where he was trying to force his rhythm and then he just lost confidence as Dustin started timing out of rhythm conor and Dustin just built off that momentum.

I already knew he was going to lose the second Dustin took him down.

His cardio is that bad.

He has too many holes in his game to be a top 10 LW fighter these days.

I see him as more of a gatekeeper.
I had that feeling a little bit that the takedown was def gonna tire him out. I thought the kicks is really what did it

He did of course but then he gassed.

I mean, those leg kicks were hurting him but the dude has serious stamina issues.
I don't think he gassed, he was never breathing heavy and his output never noticeably slowed down. The leg kicks really hurt his mobility, and Poirier just sensed that and capitalized on it.

Conor was pacing himself well in this fight. He was simply outmatched in the striking.

Back