Is Anyone Still Sold on Zabit?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just rewatched the Zabit Kattar fight and it kinda showed that he's not what people thought he was. Even in the rounds he won, rounds 1 and 2, it's wasn't a landslide. He pretty much just won those rounds with volume but it wasn't all that dominant. I really don't see him winning in a 5 round title fight with Volkanowski. I'd give Ortega a better chance against Volk than Zabit at this point but I guess we'll have to see how his next fight is. Hopefully the UFC will give him a main event so he can prove 5 rounds aren't an issue for him.

I just rewatched the Zabit Kattar fight and it kinda showed that he's not what people thought he was. Even in the rounds he won, rounds 1 and 2, it's wasn't a landslide. He pretty much just won those rounds with volume but it wasn't all that dominant. I really don't see him winning in a 5 round title fight with Volkanowski. I'd give Ortega a better chance against Volk than Zabit at this point but I guess we'll have to see how his next fight is. Hopefully the UFC will give him a main event so he can prove 5 rounds aren't an issue for him.

I've been sold on him since his first fight.

But I mean it in the sense that I think he has the ability to be a champion, not that he is 1000% going to be one. It's tough to be champ, I mean even before this recent fight, Ortega was an ELITE level FW. He beat a bunch of the top guys on the way up (Moicano, Cub, Frankie, 2 of whom also propelled KZ into the spotlight) and he still hasn't been a champion. He may never be a champion if Volkanovski/Max are around.

Do I think Zabit is elite? Yes, do I think he is the GOAT in the early stage of his career? No.

I'm high on his talent. But he needs to be more of a patient fighter. That's how he empties his gas tank because he's so anxious but the talent is there

I've been sold on him since his first fight.

But I mean it in the sense that I think he has the ability to be a champion, not that he is 1000% going to be one. It's tough to be champ, I mean even before this recent fight, Ortega was an ELITE level FW. He beat a bunch of the top guys on the way up (Moicano, Cub, Frankie, 2 of whom also propelled KZ into the spotlight) and he still hasn't been a champion. He may never be a champion if Volkanovski/Max are around.

Do I think Zabit is elite? Yes, do I think he is the GOAT in the early stage of his career? No.
To be fair Ortega wasn't starching those guys either. Cub especially had a lot of success against him before getting subbed. I hope he fights Yair next in a 5 round fight. The winner fights Max for a title shot.

Every fight is so uniquely different that using one fight to predict how another fight will go is useless. Did the guy have a bad weight cut, was he injured, was he sick or was he just simply having a bad day. Did they have a good/bad game plan. Was the fighter lacking confidence that day?

For example compare Izzy vs Gastelum to his next fight vs Whitaker. Two completely different fights and I can tell you if he fought both guys again those fights would look different again.

You can also compare the Izzy vs Romero fight. I can promise you that fight would look completely different if they fought again.

My best example though is Ngannou vs BB. Nuf sed.

He can't win a 5 rounder.

It's a really bad idea to have weak cardio and mediocre/bad finishing abilities.

You could respond with the : He will pace himself better in a 5 rounder
The thing is that if he paces himself he will drop his output which will make him lose rounds

Last edited:
Every fight is so uniquely different that using one fight to predict how another fight will go is useless.

Mate, some of us make a living by doing exactly this lol. It isn't useless at all.

As for Zabit. I'm not sold. He's fine, but his cardio is too much of a problem, and it isn't improving.

It's not a good look when guys like Kyle Bochniak has you stuck against the cage at the end of the fight and you're just trying to survive. Another round and a 8-5 fighter would have finished him most likely.

Kattar is another example. Zabit won the first two and was then losing the third badly. Not good when you get a takedown with the whole intention to just hold on for dear life.

People go on like Zabit looks incredible, but I'm not seeing it. He did great against Stephens, but is Stephens really that great himself? I see his knee bar finish of Brandon Davis wowed at a lot, but come on, Davis has a record of 10-8. He just isn't good. Zabit isn't pulling that shit off against the top 5.

LMAO... people have short memory.

Yes still sold. Zabit gonna be feature champ. No doubt!

Cardio is an issue, but I'm sure he'll figure it out.

If he paces himself well in a 5 round fight then yes.

Mate, some of us make a living by doing exactly this lol. It isn't useless at all.

As for Zabit. I'm not sold. He's fine, but his cardio is too much of a problem, and it isn't improving.

It's not a good look when guys like Kyle Bochniak has you stuck against the cage at the end of the fight and you're just trying to survive. Another round and a 8-5 fighter would have finished him most likely.

Kattar is another example. Zabit won the first two and was then losing the third badly. Not good when you get a takedown with the whole intention to just hold on for dear life.

People go on like Zabit looks incredible, but I'm not seeing it. He did great against Stephens, but is Stephens really that great himself? I see his knee bar finish of Brandon Davis wowed at a lot, but come on, Davis has a record of 10-8. He just isn't good. Zabit isn't pulling that shit off against the top 5.
Disagree that Zabit was losing the third round against Kattar “badly”. He definitely lost, that’s no question but people act like it was a 10-8 when in reality that round was rather competitive. For reference Zabit landed more strikes in round three than Kattar did in rounds 1 and 2 and was the more accurate striker the entire fight.

I swear he was fighting YAIR soon finally, wasn't this oficial?

Sold.

Bought and paid for.

giphy.gif

Never was my friend to be honest

He is the next FW champ. He is a bit too big for fw though so he'll have to move to LW soon.

It was a bummer that Ortega fight

Now I see an Ortega vs Zabit fight wide open the dude is lurking hard

some More cleaning badly needed on the FWs Ortega/KZ only beginning

of course, dagestani fans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back