Why do so many of you obsess about predictions?

The UFC Brander Collector

Pimp Andrew
@Brown
Reaction score
I can understand counting out CM Punk, some freak fights.
But we are still talking about the underdogs.
Rousey vs Holm
Serra vs GSP 1
And so on
Never know what will happen. If it was that simple, what is the point?
Just hand out the win, already

Yeah, but after the fact makes more sense
Even one of the rules is about fantasy

It's not really fantasy, it's people discussing how they think the fights will go and what aspects will be interesting.

Bear in mind a lot of people also bet on fights, so like to predict and look at different angles on how the fights could play out for that reason.

It's a nice way to see who is a casual.
The casual buys wolf tickets and narrative, the true sherbro trust his instinct and experience

I think it's likely because different people enjoy different things and for some it's more fun than discussing fights that have already happened.

It's not really fantasy, it's people discussing how they think the fights will go and what aspects will be interesting.

Bear in mind a lot of people also bet on fights, so like to predict and look at different angles on how the fights could play out for that reason.
That is fantasy
Claiming things that have not happened

Yeah, but after the fact makes more sense
Even one of the rules is about fantasy
Yeah but making a "prediction" with the benefit of hindsight isn't really a "prediction".

Go back and look at the boards prior to Anderson vs Forrest and see how many people were predicting, (or analysing if you prefer, a Forrest win. Now look at the narrative of that fight from those same posters who suddenly say Forrest was " tailor made" for Anderson to beat.

If we don't analyze or "make predictions" about up coming fights based on stylistic match ups and only talk about fights after they happen this would be a pretty boring forum.

I do agree the bumping threads to shit on posters that got it wrong or brag is pretty lame though since we all get it wrong from time to time and sometimes we hit the nail on the head but more often than not it's a crap shoot. (For the record I predicted Rousey vs Holm, lol).

Half of the discussions on Sherdog is us predicting fights lol - what else are we doing to talk about?

Having said that - I'm terrible with predictions.. I'm definitely below 50%

Back