People underestimating Paulo Costa´s groundgame

dros

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
He has trained BJJ since he was 12 years old and competed in the brazilian tournaments which are notorious for being just as hard if not harder to win than the world championships/europeans because of the level of competiotions. He trains with the Minotauro twins and his brother who is a high level black belt. Walid Ismail is also a high level black belt who has high level black belt students as well.

Israel does not have a good ground game. We saw this in his fight against Gastelum and Vettori. He also simply just dont have the physique for it.

Costas ground game is as legit as they come. He just prefers to fuck people up standing.

We saw isreal defend takedowns and get back onto his feet repeatedly.. cost might try to grapple but if he does hes gonna gas

If he does that ,it will be pretty wild. I don't expect to see him sub anyone at this point.

BrokenDownrightBluefish-size_restricted.gif

Costa is a black belt with them hands

We saw isreal defend takedowns and get back onto his feet repeatedly.. cost might try to grapple but if he does hes gonna gas

Not if he is on top and smashing him.

There is a big difference.

Do you train grappling?

BrokenDownrightBluefish-size_restricted.gif

Costa is a black belt with them hands

He is extremely well rounded and his accuray is top notch. People are underestimating how good he actually really is.

Bad boys bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they grapple you?

Amirite?

I think Costas best chance by far is to take Izzy down and pound on him. I think he can finish Izzy on the ground with punches if he goes all in with that game plan. It’s a big risk though because if it doesn’t work he will gas. I just don’t like Costas chances if he stands the whole fight.

Not if he is on top and smashing him.

There is a big difference.

Do you train grappling?

He is extremely well rounded and his accuray is top notch. People are underestimating how good he actually really is.
What makes you so confident that he will be able to get him down, if yoel romero and Derek Brunson couldn't, both of whom have better takedowns than costa?

It's a wildcard to be aware of, but by its very nature it's not one you can really quantify. Costa doesn't showcase it very much at all and Izzy has TDD that has held up surprisingly well for a skinny, lanky guy from a pro kickboxing background. It's entirely plausible that Costa could win by methodically taking Izzy down and pounding him out or even submitting him, but I'd rate the chances of that lower than the fight being finished on the feet or going to the scorecards.

Dude's only attempted a single takedown in his UFC career. He tried and failed to ground Oluwale Bamgbose, and ended up knocking him out in the next round instead. It's a non-factor.

Dude's only attempted a single takedown in his UFC career. He tried and failed to ground Oluwale Bamgbose, and ended up knocking him out in the next round instead. It's a non-factor.

I got your non-factor right here buddy.

That apostrophe doesn't go there either big guy.

That'll be 50% of your salary for the free lesson.

Last edited:
He will have to get him to the ground first which could be problematic. Dern, Kron, Maia, etc. all came in with highly touted BJJ and showed problems getting fights to the mat against people who now how to stay on their feet. Costa never really showed takedowns in the UFC and Izzy has slowly but surely built some solid TD-defense. Not saying it aint happening, but Costa will have to make sure he doesn't gas trying to go for TD's.

Oluwale was a black belt. Izzy is a lame blue belt

He has to get it to the ground first. I think Israel's tdd is good enough to stop Costa from taking him down. Costa isn't a wrestler. Plus, Costa is prideful. He'll stand with him.

I think Costas best chance by far is to take Izzy down and pound on him. I think he can finish Izzy on the ground with punches if he goes all in with that game plan. It’s a big risk though because if it doesn’t work he will gas. I just don’t like Costas chances if he stands the whole fight.

I agree, Costa would love to engage on the ground. It's just a HIGH risk/reward scenario for him

no they aren't he doesn't use it.

every kid in brazil trains BJJ from a young age lmao, costa isn't shit on the ground because we haven't seen SHIT. stop.

I underestimate it because I’ve never seen it.

It’s not his ground game that’s the question here really, it’s how he gets the fight there and keeps it there.

Back