Diaz Fans - Show me specifically where Diaz was "turning the fight around"

Portland8242

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
There's this extremely dumb narrative that's been floating around since the fight that Diaz was starting to turn the fight around and how it was a travesty the fight got stopped.

Time stamped at round 3.

Diaz lands a couple of decent shots in some exchanges with Masvidal. That's it. Masvidal remained in full control and did much more damage to Diaz. The only difference is he didn't kick his ass as bad as he did in round 1 and 2. There was 1000% no evidence Diaz was "turning the fight around".

He wasn't really turning it around yet, but Masvidal was absolutely slowing down and Diaz was going to have some opportunities over the next few rounds at the very least. I don't think he was going to win, but he suffered through the worst of it and deserved his chance to capitalize late in the fight. It wasn't over.

the last round before the doctors called it, watch Masvidal get up and how heavy he is breathing, he cant even catch his breath for few minutes after the fight has been called...There wasnt a point at which Nate was doing something specific beyond trying to keep the pressure or a high pace, but Nate has never been a fast starter, the championship rounds are always key for all his wins and fights, yes he has lost 5 round fights, but the championship rounds are what fit his heavy pressure light power punches style.

Anyone who has avg cardio vs Nate will struggle, no matter their striking credentials, and that is the point that is being brought up, not that Nate was going to somehow karate kick Masvidal into another universe, but the momentum would of probably start to change and the fight would of looked a lot more competitive. It ended cuz of an idiotic doctor stoppage, and yes Nate was losing by a big margin, but being able to watch those last 2 rounds and see if Masvidal could have finished Nate, or what Nate could have done to try to turn it around, im sure those last 2 rounds would of been very entertaining.

He's employing the Rocky 3 "make the enemy tired by eating punches" technique. I approve.

Prior to the end where Mas took him down

it was a very close round

Nate actually outlanded him in terms of clean strikes

In terms of trajectory, It was definitely a turn around.

the first and second were clear Masvidal rounds, prior to the end where Mas GNP'd, It was close.

He still lost the round, but the Diaz bros are known to be slow starters and get better as the fight goes on.

It was clear that Nate was the fresher fighter going into the 4th.

Given the trajectory, there's a good chance Nate would have come on stronger In the championship rounds and we would have ended with a more interesting and competitive result.

At the very least, It's worth running It back.

I wouldn't necessarly call myself a fan. I would say the same thing regardless.

That said, Masvidal fought exactly as you need to against the Diaz bro pressure syle. Which needs to be said.

Even if we just accept Nate starting to get better during this fight towards the end and Masvidal slowing down for the sake of the argument, i can't help but shake my head at the amount of damage Nate takes in fights, but this fight especially.

Not just from a health-perspective, but that amount of scar-tissue will of course open up easier and easier, making a TKO by doctor's stoppage a more and more likely occurence after every fight.

the last round before the doctors called it, watch Masvidal get up and how heavy he is breathing, he cant even catch his breath for few minutes after the fight has been called...There wasnt a point at which Nate was doing something specific beyond trying to keep the pressure or a high pace, but Nate has never been a fast starter, the championship rounds are always key for all his wins and fights, yes he has lost 5 round fights, but the championship rounds are what fit his heavy pressure light power punches style.

Anyone who has avg cardio vs Nate will struggle, no matter their striking credentials, and that is the point that is being brought up, not that Nate was going to somehow karate kick Masvidal into another universe, but the momentum would of probably start to change and the fight would of looked a lot more competitive. It ended cuz of an idiotic doctor stoppage, and yes Nate was losing by a big margin, but being able to watch those last 2 rounds and see if Masvidal could have finished Nate, or what Nate could have done to try to turn it around, im sure those last 2 rounds would of been very entertaining.
thank you for the rare unbiased opinion

It is the light In the darkness amongst these fools.

He wasn't really turning it around yet, but Masvidal was absolutely slowing down and Diaz was going to have some opportunities over the next few rounds at the very least. I don't think he was going to win, but he suffered through the worst of it and deserved his chance to capitalize late in the fight. It wasn't over.

there was only 2 rounds left...and mas wasn't gassing at all...

Diaz landed a few decent shots, but Masvidal was dominating for the most part. Masvidal was starting to slow down though. And I think that doctors could have easily let the fight continue. We have seen Diaz come back from a lot worse.
Also if Masvidal was slowing down against Diaz, then he is in for a long night against Usman. Kamaru is a cardio machine.

Nate actually outlanded him in terms of clean strikes

Show us then.

Minute by minute.

You are completely full of shit.

He still lost the round, but the Diaz bros are known to be slow starters and get better as the fight goes on.

Go and see how Nate has done in 4th and 5th rounds in his career.

Full. of. shit.

Even if we just accept Nate starting to get better during this fight towards the end and Masvidal slowing down for the sake of the argument, i can't help but shake my head at the amount of damage Nate takes in fights, but this fight especially.

Not just from a health-perspective, but that amount of scar-tissue will of course open up easier and easier, making a TKO by doctor's stoppage a more and more likely occurence after every fight.
I actually think he took more damage In the Conor fights.

If you look at how he speaks before the fight and afterwards, he legitimately suffered brain damage.

He took a lot of damage In the Masvidal fight as well, but he was knocked down 3-4 times In the Conor fight and took some consistent and serious blows to the head throughout the fight.

Back