"We tried to be a two division champ 10 years ago, but they wanted us to relinquish the belt"

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Pederneiras said in an interview that they tried to go up and fight Edgar when he was LW champ, but the UFC wanted Aldo to relinquish the belt, so the fight didn't happen.

Timestamped

Thoughts?
05-frankie-edgar-ufc-150-w_3521.jpg

aldo1_AK4umqC.jpg

This is common knowledge. Same thing happened when he tried to go up and fight Pettis. Dana and his bullshit double standards. He definitely acquiesced to the desires of anyone else who recently looked to be a double champ by letting them keep their belts.

In my mind, that first Edgar fight was basically a lightweight title fight for Aldo anyway.

For those who forgot:
Foto-AlexandreLoureiro-Inovafoto008.0.jpg

It's not that I agree, disagree, morally object or otherwise, but I do get why Zuffa would be reluctant...until a superstar like Conor came along.

And then it turned out the vocal majority of casuals (including here) fucking LOVED IT, PPV's sold, and so they were now open to doing it more.

Even though all evidence suggests it bottlenecks both divisions and fucks things up across the board. But so fucking what, if the money is there, right?

I wish they hadn't ever begun this idiotic 'champ champ' era, and look forward to it being over. It's simply not sustainable.

TLDR: They were right to decline when Aldo & Edgar asked, and wrong to approve when Conor did.

It's not that I agree, disagree, morally object or otherwise, but I do get why Zuffa would be reluctant...until a superstar like Conor came along.

And then it turned out the vocal majority of casuals (including here) fucking LOVED IT, PPV's sold, and so they were now open to doing it more.

Even though all evidence suggests it bottlenecks both divisions and fucks things up across the board. But so fucking what, if the money is there, right?

I wish they hadn't ever begun this idiotic 'champ champ' era, and look forward to it being over. It's simply not sustainable.

Imagine if Aldo called everyone playboy and spoke English, lol.

I agree with your champ/champ perspective.

Another interesting part of the interview regarding his TS this saturday, is Dedé said Aldo has been training a lot of bjj for this fight. They know Yan is a different fighter today, but they see an opportunity there. Let's see what happens.

TLDR: They were right to decline when Aldo & Edgar asked, and wrong to approve when Conor did.

Despite you being correct, I would’ve been cool with Cejudo having the chance for the 145lb belt. lol

Another interesting part of the interview regarding his TS this saturday, is Dedé said Aldo has been training a lot of bjj for this fight. They know Yan is a different fighter today, but they see an opportunity there. Let's see what happens.
Honestly he doesnt use it enough

Hes getting old and using his bjj could be the key to winning here. Dont stand with a young gun who is gonna be faster than you

This is a promotional philosophical change. How many champion vs champion fights did we see before McGregor did it? GSP vs BJ Penn and...? Nowadays they encourage champs to move up

Still doesn't explain why he moved down and not up as everyone wanted.

Well, Conor was done at 145. He could no longer make the cut without killing himself, so the move was unavoidable and final. Where Dana pulled some strings was to a) keep up the fantasy that Conor would ever defend the 145 belt b) grant Conor the LW shot despite him going 1-1 with Nate - tapping in the first meeting, eeking by a majority dec in the second.

Still doesn't explain why he moved down and not up as everyone wanted.
Pederneiras said he never made a real diet to cut weight to make FW. In the interview he said that in some fights, Aldo started cutting weight only in the week of the fight. This explains why he "suffered" to make weight, but he really never did it "professionally" . Dedé said that now, he's been given his diet both by his own nutritionist and the UFC's.

Pederneiras said in an interview that they tried to go up and fight Edgar when he was LW champ, but the UFC wanted Aldo to relinquish the belt, so the fight didn't happen.

Timestamped

Thoughts?
05-frankie-edgar-ufc-150-w_3521.jpg

aldo1_AK4umqC.jpg

Good, Dana was right then and is wrong for making exceptions for the big names(Nunes I can agree with cause she was actually willing to do both jobs). Of course he wanted to go up and fight Edgar, Edgar was one of the least dominant champs in UFC history, Aldo probably wins.

Back