Why Do Some Fans Claim to Hate Trash Talk and Bravado???? I Love It

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*
There has been a lot of great responses from all sides for the most part and I appreciate the healthy discussion. Now I have been a member here for almost a decade so I am used to seeing dumb responses and trolls but some of you are acting extra dumb and trying to be smart asses at the same time. Not many of you and some of you I addressed directly and you contributed to the discussion. A couple others continued to play dumb. There is nothing strange, bizarre, or weird about the question. It's a pretty straightforward question. I never said I expected everyone to like the same thing as me. I never said people could not like different things. I never implied anyone was dumb for having a different opinion. If you are someone who hates trash talk, please tell us why. Even if you simply dislike or like it, tell us. I'm not hear to judge m, criticize, or debate. I'm simply trying to hear you out. To everyone with the dumb responses like "people like different things" or "watch wrestling" or some other bullshit, suck a barbwired dick. With that said, carry on gentlemen.*

I don't understand this about some MMA fans. Trash talk and promotion is a very important part of sports but ESPECIALLY combat sports and it's been going on forever. Long before McGregor was even thought of.

Some of you get really bothered and claim, "Oh the sport is turning into WWE" blah! That's another thing. What is the beef with pro wrestling?? It's silly. Most of us grew up on it and if some still enjoy it so what, but it's not necessary to compare.
This is still the entertainment business. Now of course I am against trash talkers jumping ahead of contenders who are clearly much more deserving but that isn't often the case.

I'm a gentleman myself, and yes I do feel like some things are over the line or some guys are straight assholes at times but that makes it all the more enjoyable when they get whooped. I enjoy most trash talk and bravado even when it's not from some of my all time favorites like Adesanya and BJ Penn. Even when it's guys like Rockhold, Rashad, Rampage, etc. It makes everything more interesting.

That fake humble stuff can get boring. Also you can be confident and braggadocious and humble at the same time.

Last edited:
Well I can't understand how you can't understand about "some" (like me) fans. People are entertained by different things. I'm here to watch the brutal ballet of fighting, not the silly posturing and playacting of trash talk.

99% of the time trash talk is fabricated nonsense and sounds idiotic. I'm not all that interested in clowns running around insulting each other to generate interest in a fight. Great fights sell themselves imho.

Last edited:
Well I can't understand how you can't understand about "some" (like me) fans. People are entertained by different things. I'm here to watch the brutal ballet of fighting, not the silly posturing and playacting of trash talk.
Of course the what happens in the cage matters most but the trash talk raises the stakes and draws people in. It's a necessary evil.

Because I don’t give a shit about soap operas talk is cheap just bang bro

fFNol.gif

99% of the time trash talk is fabricated nonsense and sounds idiotic imho. I'm not all that interested in clowns running around insulting each other to generate interest in a fight. Great fights sell themselves imho.
Are you telling me that all the trash talk between Rashad and Rampage didn't make things that much more tense during the build up and faceoff??? Obviously the fight was not incredible but still...

Are you telling me that all the trash talk between Rashad and Rampage didn't make things that much more tense during the build up and faceoff??? Obviously the fight was not incredible but still...

Honestly, not really. You knew it was exaggerated.

There are a few instances where the back story made things interesting. Brazil has had some good ones involving the Gracies as well as

SXrHtGYSxaIEJcPf3MVl3As1putP86v1RFoNCyTAedM.jpg

and

028andersonsilvaandvitorbelfort.0.jpg

It was fun, but those two legit didnt like each other.

I like it when it's real, guys like Conor or Colby and so fake with it though.

Real beef and legit disdain is interesting.

I didn’t go grow up with WWE and it’s not always been a part of MMA at all. In the early days it was much more respectful in the traditional martial arts sense. Smack talk is a waste of my time, don’t need it, don’t listen to it. I watch for the fights not the drama.

Maybe I’m old.

Most fans still keep engaging in everything but fighting topics. Not many care about Formiga vs. Perez this weekend (top-notch product) but we have 10-page threads about Fighter A saying this and that.

I like red heads. Some people don't. Should I try to understand why or is it as simple as people like different things?
It's not the same. Maybe it's not clear the way I asked. If the trash talk doesn't interest you that's fine. But why are people so against it when it is normal and necessary in the sport? And I'm not even talking about disrespectful talk. Just saying things like I'm the best blah blah blah.

Last edited:
That's a really strange question. So you don't get it because you like it, who doesn't everyone else?

Because i don't like it, should I expect everyone else to dislike it too?

It's just like being fans of different kinds of fighters or styles. Some people hate grappling some people love it.

Back