In YOUR OPINION, Chael Sonnen, Overrated or Underrated????

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Good old Uncle Chael. Before he was dishonorably discharged from the UFC, Chael was making waves in the UFC division. Although he boasted a journeyman's record he was red hot beating everyone at 185 not named Anderson Silva.

He's amongst the older generation of fighters. Maybe a year younger than Anderson if that. It's easy to say that the younger generation of middleweights and the current division we have now would have ran through him. But that pre USADA TRT Sonnen was something serious. We never got to see him compete against the strikeforce bunch.

How do you see Prime Chael performing against the likes Rockhold, Weidman, Romero, Champ Bisping, Adesanya, Costa etc. etc...

I think he's rated right where he should be - the Undisputed greatest of all time. Never lost a round.

Good old Uncle Chael. Before he was dishonorably discharged from the UFC, Chael was making waves in the UFC division. Although he boasted a journeyman's record he was red hot beating everyone at 185 not named Anderson Silva.

He's amongst the older generation of fighters. Maybe a year younger than Anderson if that. It's easy to say that the younger generation of middleweights and the current division we have now would have ran through him. But that pre USADA TRT Sonnen was something serious. We never got to see him compete against the strikeforce bunch.

How do you see Prime Chael performing against the likes Rockhold, Weidman, Romero, Champ Bisping, Adesanya, Costa etc. etc...
Prime pre USADA chael was quite good actually. I'd say slightly underrated if anything?

Hard to say if over or under, but he's definitely a good fighter, all the way to the end of his career.

He fought all time greats and even managed to beat some. Crazy to think he fought Boner, Anderson and Fedor.

Came ridiculously close to beating prime Anderson.

Some of his fights were boring af, tho.

Best ever at being heel.

Undefeated and undisputed.

You do the math

6f2evqNHWYUjnnoOVsD_lGb2PR-TvcIkrO0naHCQqgzSbgr9SzMxzF3rsFUOW6o3maKc0ZuWOPOdRqjPjoQGrV7LAJO6U5m9TkHS

Izzy, Yoel and Costa beat him. Weidman and Rockhold are interesting. And we have already seen vs Bisping ( champ Bisping was worst imo)

Chael was and is a really good personality for mixed martial arts. He was also a top tier talent when in his prime. And basically clean.

Came to the ufc when the mw was weak, if he came and taught there when Romero, jacare, Bonny knucklez, gastelum, rockhold and Weidman were at the top he wouldn’t have come close to a championship fight.

And he did nothing at lhw.

his career was all about timing. Good on him making the best of it. But he was fun to watch talk shit and fight.

Prime juiced to the gills Sonnen that ran through prime Marquardt, Okami, and Dan Miller is one of the best MWs of all time. Underrated

I think he did very well in that era in which he contended for Anderson's belt. But after losing his second crack at the belt he chased after big fights against really tough competition at the higher weights. Alot of those guys were too much for him. His record might have been better had he stayed at MW and avoided Yoel and so on.

He basically became a dude who would take fights against anyone for the money,wether he realistically could win or not.

I think he did very well in that era in which he contended for Anderson's belt. But after losing his second crack at the belt he chased after big fights against really tough competition at the higher weights. Alot of those guys were too much for him. His record might have been better had he stayed at MW and avoided Yoel and so on.

He basically became a dude who would take fights against anyone for the money,wether he realistically could win or not.
Yeah 2 of his fights against Jon and Rashad, he was up against bigger, younger, and better athletes. But I'm sure that even HE was surprised at how easily they dispatched him.

Yeah 2 of his fights against Jon and Rashad, he was up against bigger, younger, and better athletes. But I'm sure that even HE was surprised at how easily they dispatched him.
He did manage to get Shogun tho. I though shogun was gonna win. That was sad for shogun,he got caught and was just devastated.

when he was cheating it wasn't just trt it was everything. that's the thing. he put on some impressive performances. beat some good guys came close in some others... shit the bed in most. .
sonnen was a boy whos balls weren't dropping as a young kid. The doctor prescribed him things that basically made him take off as a wrestler as a young boy and this carried through out his wrestling career where im sure he began to dabble in other supplements. hes a proven liar and manipulator.
I think sonnen is the average guy who had an issue with puberty but excessive hormone treatment accelerated him into the big leagues

good B fighter
generally beat B fighters but lost to As

Obviously he had a lot of decision wins and submission losses, but he doesn't get enough credit for his submission wins

11111.gif

6.gif

A true legend. Fought in 3 weight classes anytime any place any weight. never pulls out. Beaten former world champs. Took the goat to the brink of defeat. and he always fought the best

I don’t care for Luke Thomas, but he nailed it when he said Chael is a “good fighter, but not a great fighter.”

Very over rated. and extremely boring, not sure of any Chael fights where he was the person I looked forward to watching. He had entertaining moments on the mic but not many in the cage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back