Traditional Maori welcome for the UFC, Felder co

Maori

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Respect to CKB for organising the powhiri(welcoming) as well as the UFC for allowing it to happen.Much respect to Felder and his team for embracing the experience, welcomed on as an enemy and left as family.Nga mihi kia koe

The Maoris really hadn't been in NZ very long before the white man found it it actually sat vacant for thousands of years

Respect to CKB for organising the powhiri(welcoming) as well as the UFC for allowing it to happen.Much respect to Felder and his team for embracing the experience, welcomed on as an enemy and left as family.Nga mihi kia koe

very Cool vid TS, thanks.

Do you know if the basic structure / design of the building they are in is traditional? (It had a really nice feel to it)

Sidenote: was a guest to the Sydney Maori festival in Australia in 1996, a very humbling experience. My good friend Tuma took me, I saw one other white person only lol.

very Cool vid TS, thanks.

Do you know if the basic structure / design of the building they are in is traditional? (It had a really nice feel to it)

Sidenote: was a guest to the Sydney Maori festival in Australia in 1996, a very humbling experience. My good friend Tuma took me, I saw one other white person only lol.
yup sure is, we call it a Wharenui which traditionally was the biggest and main house
of a Maori pa(village).Its where community meetings/discussion usually took place amongst other things.

Your point being?

No reason, just a lil bit of history for those who might not know. Kinda surprised me when I first found out about it. They had about a 400 year head start there, but compare that to the Amerindians who had about a 10,000 year head start minus the Solutrean theory .. It's basically a bat of an eye in comparison.

The Maoris really hadn't been in NZ very long before the white man found it it actually sat vacant for thousands of years
Tradition has it that the Maori ancestor Maui was responsible for bringing what you call New Zealand to the surface from the bottom of the sea before returning to Hawaiikii.Now who or what you determine Maui to be is up to you.

European anthropologists have the last migration of maori dated between 1300-1400 AD with first maori arriving in 800-900 AD.The first Europeans wouldn’t dnt arrive in NZ till 1642.A popular theory is maori populated the americas along with other ethnicities that migrated from africa by way of asia, america then onto polynesia.

Even if we go with anthropology, 700 years seems like a very long time compared to your statement.

Last edited:
Your point being?

That's the problem. Either he has no real point, or the point(s) involve some kind of justification for some white supremacy/imperialistic BULLshit.

And where is his fuckin' proof of that wild-ass claim?

That's the problem. Either he has no real point, or the point(s) involve some kind of justification for some white supremacy/imperialistic BULLshit.

Agreed

No reason, just a lil bit of history for those who might not know. Kinda surprised me when I first found out about it. They had about a 400 year head start there, but compare that to the Amerindians who had about a 10,000 year head start minus the Solutrean theory .. It's basically a bat of an eye in comparison.

Fair enough, I've just seen the same thing mentioned in other places as a precursor to things like "It isn't their land", "They aren't really natives" "Some viking dude spotted it first!!" etc etc.

Any excuse to do a haka ,

Haven’t read much about your culture but judging from the surface I find the Maori culture to be very interesting.

Unbelievable. yOU MAKE THAT STATEMENT AND THEN ASK where his fucking proof is? Should listen to yourself, I don't know what inferiority complex you suffer from, but damn, get some help, you're reaching.

Tradition has it that the Maori ancestor Maui was responsible for bringing what you call New Zealand to the surface from the bottom of the sea before returning to Hawaiikii.Now who or what you determine Maui to be is up to you.

European anthropologists have the last migration of maori dated between 1300-1400 AD with first maori arriving in 800-900 AD.The first Europeans wouldn’t dnt arrive in NZ till 1642.A popular theory is maori populated the americas along with other ethnicities that migrated from africa by way of asia, america then onto polynesia.

Even if we go with anthropology, 700 years seems like a very long time compared to your statement.

He's demigod of the wind and sea, and hero to all. They made a song about it.

Is the sports haka the same kinda?
that shit is so dope, one of the coolest shits in all international sport

Fair enough, I've just seen the same thing mentioned in other places as a precursor to things like "It isn't their land", "They aren't really natives" "Some viking dude spotted it first!!" etc etc.

Hold on... what Viking dude???

Is the sports haka the same kinda?
that shit is so dope, one of the coolest shits in all international sport

Yeah it is fella, different tribes have different haka.The haka the all black perform originated from a fighting chief named Te Rauparaha, theyve only just apoted a new one recently Te Kapa o Pango which was witten specifically for the team.

a bunch of white guys doing it, just looks silly to me...
Nothing but respect for them, in a world where the indigenous have fallen to the way side in colonised countries its nice to see the new immigrants embrace its indigenous people.Our countries unique in that respect, we sing the anthem in english and maori, teams from all codes perform traditionally.Then I look at other countries USA and Australia in particular wondering why the population is hesitant to embrace its indigenous culture whole heartedly, yet on the flipside the indigenous have done just about all they can to assimilate themselves into western culture.

Back