Objective examination of Luke Rockhold’s losses....

LilNicky95

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes I know everybody hates Rockhold because he is good looking and kind of a smug jock-type.

However, the man does possess immense talent and ability. Examining his losses, I don’t think he is done.

Vitor: TRT-or was almost unbeatable at that stage and even had Jonny Jones in a tough spot.

Bisping: Luke already beat left eye Larry with ease once. This was a fluke and Rockhold beats the Count 99 out of 100 if he takes the fight seriously.

Romero: Stylistically a bad matchup as Romero is not gonna get KO’d and would be very difficult to get down. Perhaps if Rockhold would learn to use his length and range and play it safe, could see him pointing him.

Jan: Rockhold was way overconfident careless. He was doing fine till he started showboating and putting his hands down and daring Jan to hit him. Luke does not have the chin to ever put his hands down. Still tho, with some adjustments, he could win that matchup.

Don’t know where Rockhold’s heart is at these days with the modeling and whatever else but it would be a shame if he never gave it another honest effort.

Luke-rockhold-weigh-in.jpg

Yes I know everybody hates Rockhold because he is good looking and kind of a smug jock-type.

However, the man does possess immense talent and ability. Examining his losses, I don’t think he is done.

Vitor: TRT-or was almost unbeatable at that stage and even had Jonny Jones in a tough spot.

Bisping: Luke already beat left eye Larry with ease once. This was a fluke and Rockhold beats the Count 99 out of 100 if he takes the fight seriously.

Romero: Stylistically a bad matchup as Romero is not gonna get KO’d and would be very difficult to get down. Perhaps if Rockhold would learn to use his length and range and play it safe, could see him pointing him.

Jan: Rockhold was way overconfident careless. He was doing fine till he started showboating and putting his hands down and daring Jan to hit him. Luke does one have the chin to ever put his hands down. Still tho, with some adjustments, he could win that matchup.

Don’t know where Rockhold’s heart is at these days with the modeling and whatever else but it would be a shame if he never gave it another honest effort.

He could throw fireballs and teleport behind his opponent, his arrogance will always be his downfall.
Well... That and his chin.

They were all brutal finishes. He likes to sit back up for a second helping of getting KTFO though so maybe there's still some gas left in the tank.

I don't think his heart's fully in it anymore. Shouldn't be fighting in the UFC unless you're 100% all-in and committed, otherwise it's not gonna end well. I think he's realized this and is rightly stepping away.

I've actually never seen Rockhold be that much of a dick until he said "I dont lose to people like Blachowicz". Which is more high confidence conveyed in an arrogant matter but that debatable. When he finished Bisping, he picked him up, shook his hand and showed more respect than most do in the cage. Even in the lead up to the rematch he was highly condifdent but never really a smug, at least not more than you'd expect from MMA fighters. Same when he fought Branch and showed him a ton of respect after, same with Yoel and before with most of his opponents like Boetch or Weidman. Maybe I missed something but until recently he seemed like a respectful opponent and teammate. Guess he became bitter.

The guy gets knocked silly by similar punches each time. Major defensive holes.

Jan: Rockhold was way overconfident careless. He was doing fine till he started showboating and putting his hands down and daring Jan to hit him. Luke does not have the chin to ever put his hands down. Still tho, with some adjustments, he could win that matchup.

That's cute!

The real problem is he fights like an idiot with his hands down at his waist and doesn't learn from his mistakes. If he fights again they should gorilla glue his right hand to his chin for the entire camp so he learns to protect dat chin.

I agree. I reckon i'm rockholds only fan at this point. He can be a total dick, but hes a damn good fighter. I reckon skill wise he is the best middleweight of all time.

I wish I could get some kind of monetary compensation every time I have to read "X versus Y was a fluke, and X knows it! Y beats X 99/100 times in a rematch!" or some variation thereof on this forum. I'd probably be banking more cash than Conor has off of Proper Twelve.

I don't think his heart's fully in it anymore. Shouldn't be fighting in the UFC unless you're 100% all-in and committed, otherwise it's not gonna end well. I think he's realized this and is rightly stepping away.

Agreed. The way Luke looked and moved in those latter fights was notably different than his earlier career. Dude declined, it happens. He accomplished plenty in his time; I say this as someone who rather dislikes him.

Rockhold has the potential but just can’t get over himself. Almost in every loss he was acting cocky and took his opponent lightly. Even in the Vitor fight, he was putting down Vitor before the fight. Can’t fix stupid

He was winning until he lost threads suck

Basically, aside from losing all of those fights you speak of, he basically won them.

Skill wise he can easily still compete, but I think the damage is starting to add up for him, and he is past changing up his game too much.

His striking defense is what has always been his downfall. He keeps his head up high and his hands low.

I think he would really need to tighten that up if he wanted to come back, and maybe take a matchup that isn't against some power puncher/striker.

He also made it to the top of a division, he doesn't really have anything left to prove/do in MMA

it's the way he loses. he does the same thing in every fight, wades in and just gets his head caved in. he's never going to beat anyone top 10 again in any division as long as he acts like his chin is completely invincible.

Back